Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 04:38 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times

Advertisements

Glad to see an update from you. I was wondering just the other day how things are going for you in eastern KY. It sounds like overall you and your son are doing well and enjoying this new chapter in your life.
You had so many worries before moving. I don't live in deep Appalachia but my county borders 5 Appalachian counties and the people I've met from Appalachia are among the very best anywhere.

Last edited by marino760; 11-07-2023 at 05:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 05:04 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
Almost 2 and a half months and still in love. I just found out that property taxes on my old house in Colorado have doubled since last year and that insurance went up 50%. Idon't know how we could have paid it.

Everyone we have met is super nice and we are making friends at the senior center. because of disabled sons health we have not been able to spend as much time as we would like and it has slowed down relationship building but it will still happen.

We became friends with our next door neighbors. They are the only people we have gotten to know who are strongly what I would call my image of Appalachian people. Good, fun, hard working salt of the earth.our son went fishing with them several times,we attended several bonfires toasting hotdogs, baking ccokies and spent time almost every day visiting on each others porches.Oh, and they told us how to get rid of chigger bites in less than 24 hours.Sadly, the dad lost his job [coal truck driver] and they were unable to pay rent. So, they moved this morning. And, stupidly, I forgot to get their phone number. This has been my biggest dissapointment so far.

I am super excited for my vegetable garden next spring. If I had a garden here now I would still be harvesting fresh produce because of the longer growing season. So far, we havn't had to turn our heat on at all, though in the last week we have had to turn on our air conditioner a few times.

I don't have as much to share because I have mostly been acclimating. And like I said taking care of disabled son. The change in altitude has not had the difference in his health we had hoped and prayed for but I think it has helped him.

Thank you to everyone who made this move less scary.
I am so glad you are still enjoying life in your new adopted state! If you write a letter to your old neighbors at their old address asking for their phone number it might get forwarded to them. We were a military family and did that a couple of times when we lost someone’s contact info who had moved.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky