Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 09:04 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post

Welcome to Kentucky!
(The water company won't let you start up online? That's a bummer!)

Does your oldest son live nearby...maybe you all could spend the night
with him until the next day when it's turned on.

Or is there a Gas station nearby lol?
Our son will be working on the oil rigs in Wyoming when we arrive. I wouldn't ask his wife if we could stay there because they just got married in April. I made all the food for the wedding rehearsal and the reception dinner so I didn't have much a chance to get to know her then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2023, 10:57 PM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Have you met your new neighbors yet? I am pretty sure they would let you use their 'facilities' should the need arise?

Old 08-19-2023, 09:23 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Congratulations on your new house! You'll be in KY in time to enjoy our beautiful autumn weather and colorful fall leaves. Fall colors can rival those in New England some years, especially in Eastern KY.

Old 08-21-2023, 09:58 PM

We closed on the house this morning. It's feels a bit weird that someone else is now living in "our" home. We left them a bottle of wine, wine glasses,a corkscrew a gift certificate to the general store, a candle, soaps and washcloths, a bag of chocolate Lindt Lindor, my favorite chicken chicken decorted cups [they took the chickens] a cool dinosaur'kind of like legos" kit, medicine for the chickens, a lollipop for the 5 year old, a large paper towel and cleaning products, and a few other things such as pizza and cokes in the fridge. I ws going to bake them some cookies but ran out of time.

right now wer'e in Salida kansas. Need to bring son to doctor in morning and are hoping to hit western Ky before dark. We hope to be arriving at our new home Wednesday afternoon. I can't believe this is all really happening.

Old 08-21-2023, 10:36 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
How nice of you to leave all those items for the new owners!! I hope you love your new home).

Old 08-27-2023, 06:51 PM

We've been 'home" since thursday. I love it here so far. My son is doing so much better and is only half an hours walk from fishing.He already can tell the fish are bigger here. I have spent time with new daughter-in-law almost every day and we are already getting close.the house is simple but cute. Ithought I would be crying over my old house but mostly I am grateful thatwe don't have to climb all those stairs. Neighbors we met have been awesome and their kids and my new grandkids love having other kids to play with.so far, even better than expected.

Old 08-28-2023, 01:16 AM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
So glad that you and your family are here and happy Miss Vicky.
Welcome to Kentucky and Best Wishes your way.

Old 09-08-2023, 08:13 PM

We're here 2 weeks now. Other than my son's hundreds of chigger bites [I'd never even HEARD of them before we got here] things are going great.

Other than Crazee Cat Lady, I don't think anyone here knows how much I loved my house, my chickens and my goats. They all have fantastic homes [the people who bought our colorado-well, their kids- fell head over heels for my chickens, especially my crippled chicken, Lelah. And my goats are with a woman who loves goats more than I do. And with my mobility issues they are all getting more attention than I have been able to give them the past couple of years. I thought even with that i would be mourning but I'm not.] and I'm excited about what the new people are going to do with our beautiful house. I know, just like when we lived there, that people will be visiting our old house and saying "there is something almost magic about this place. I never want to leave. I would do anything to live here."

This house is simple, humble and sweet. To be honest, it is a small, older double-wide, and I love it. I can't explain it but it is what we most need in our lives at this time.

Most important, my son, as we hoped and prayed, is, though not cured, doing better than he has since he first became ill over 16 years ago. Not cured, but for the first time in all of these years he is talking about maybe someday being healthy enough enough to pssibly. someday, have a job, a real life. I still ask everyone I get to know, even a little bit, to please pray for him, but now instead of asking them to pray for him, it's not from desperation, but from hope. [please pray for him, in hope] The number one reason we moved was on a prayer that the much lower altitude would help him.

Shaking the emotional off. Getting practical, at first we were worried about grocery prices, especially at Food City. BUT with all the BOGOs, weekend specials and markdown specials [and planning our meals around them] food is costing less. We used to get good deals in Colorado, but when Safeway, Albertsons and King Soopers [Kroeger] merged, there was no competition and the good deals went awayNow there are tons of good deals. And, for everything else, there is WalMart.

Changes in water usage. I still don't waste water, but itis nice not having to make a rule of "if it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down. Or better yet, dig a whole in the back and cover it well."

And showing my age, the Paintsville senior citizen center is awesome. And fun. And where else can you get a decent meal for 2 bucks?

I guess I better get off my rambling, but close with "OMG I LOVE KENTUCKY!"

Last edited by vicky3vicky; 09-08-2023 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 09-10-2023, 11:31 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Find out if you have a local farmers market. Getting cheap fresh produce, along with eggs, is so nice.

Old 11-06-2023, 06:38 PM

Almost 2 and a half months and still in love. I just found out that property taxes on my old house in Colorado have doubled since last year and that insurance went up 50%. Idon't know how we could have paid it.

Everyone we have met is super nice and we are making friends at the senior center. because of disabled sons health we have not been able to spend as much time as we would like and it has slowed down relationship building but it will still happen.

We became friends with our next door neighbors. They are the only people we have gotten to know who are strongly what I would call my image of Appalachian people. Good, fun, hard working salt of the earth.our son went fishing with them several times,we attended several bonfires toasting hotdogs, baking ccokies and spent time almost every day visiting on each others porches.Oh, and they told us how to get rid of chigger bites in less than 24 hours.Sadly, the dad lost his job [coal truck driver] and they were unable to pay rent. So, they moved this morning. And, stupidly, I forgot to get their phone number. This has been my biggest dissapointment so far.

I am super excited for my vegetable garden next spring. If I had a garden here now I would still be harvesting fresh produce because of the longer growing season. So far, we havn't had to turn our heat on at all, though in the last week we have had to turn on our air conditioner a few times.

I don't have as much to share because I have mostly been acclimating. And like I said taking care of disabled son. The change in altitude has not had the difference in his health we had hoped and prayed for but I think it has helped him.

Thank you to everyone who made this move less scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky