Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 08:03 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times

Advertisements

Voting is a right and a privilege and everyone should use that privilege if at all possible.
But sadly enough some people just don't care one way or the other. Is there a cure yet for apathy?
It's even that way in General Elections, who is the biggest voting block? The Democrats? The Republicans?

The Independents? No, it is the people who are registered to vote, but just don't.

Also, Kentucky doesn't give a lot of incentive for Independents to vote in primary elections, since Independents here can vote for neither the Democrat or the Republican candidates running in the primary since we are a closed Primary state.

How did we get from voter turnout to ivermectin, lol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 08:32 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Crazee Cat Lady Voting is a right and a privilege and everyone should use that privilege if at all possible.
But sadly enough some people just don't care one way or the other. Is there a cure yet for apathy?
It's even that way in General Elections, who is the biggest voting block? The Democrats? The Republicans? Independents?
Quote:
No, it is the people who are registered to vote, but just don't.
AMEN!

and that is so disgusting....the turnout was awful....not busy at all....

Quote:
Also, Kentucky doesn't give a lot of incentive for Independents to vote in primary elections, since Independents here can vote for neither the Democrat or the Republican candidates running in the primary since we are a closed Primary state.
Excellent Posts here and agree with you two fold. Americans are lazy, they want their party to win, but don't want to work for it...it's easier not to attend and vote...

Quote:
How did we get from voter turnout to ivermectin, lol?
Because I was explaining why, I felt the way I did and do to the poster, and about his failure as a governor ....it wasn't changing the subject,it was in fact explaining what I saw Andy do on TV...stood there and bold faced lied about Ivermectin to push the Vaccine....I wouldn't trust him further than I could throw him....and also shutting down businesses....causing them to go broke...but I guess people forgot about that....except those who lost their shirts. And that's why I always go vote...as everyone else should, it is their God given right...

I was an Independent for years, but switched because I wanted a voice/vote. PA didn't allow Independents to vote in the Primaries either, and I was tired of it....so I switched parties.
Voting to me and for me, should be an essential human right, to let those in power know our voice....and if the voter desires, to let it know why you did or didn't vote for someone....

It sickens me how people on both sides can believe a political leader can create jobs....it is the companies who create jobs, thru government and state grants, however, they do not create the jobs....unless that political leader goes forth and meets with the corporations, asking them to come to their state, or stay in their state and not move work to foreign countries.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 05-18-2023 at 08:47 PM..

Old 05-18-2023, 09:09 PM

Every Candidate for a political position, currently has a “jobs plan,” very often a list of vague proposals filled with phrases like “budget framework” and “regulatory cap” that are designed, for the most part, to mean both everything and nothing at all. It's a campaign foolery

When they propose gas drilling and oil pipelines, will create jobs, yes, they do, however, only 30,000 Americans work in oil and gas extraction, and 125,000 in support occupations. There are presently 25 million Americans unemployed or underemployed, so it’s impossible that any change in that part of the energy sector would make a real dent.

So, be very careful when they claim that unemployment is at an all time low, when it in fact is not...do your homework, then get out there and vote...

I myself am so sorry this country ”Penelizes"Independents....it's unfair to do so...unAmerican. I have changed my political affiliation many times during my life, b/c I didn't agree with what was being done...so to take votes away from Americans regardless of their political affiliation is degrading...and it should be changed....Independents should be allowed to vote the primaries.

An independent is defined as a voter who votes for candidates on issues rather than on the basis of a political partisanship; a voter who does not have loyalty to one particular party, or identies with one party and a voter who does not usually vote for the same political party, which I believe is the way it should be....most people vote for one side or the other regardless, b/c it is what their parents were, or because it's the party they chose and are long standing in loyalty to that party even though they've done America wrong. To do so, enables American's to not care about concerning themselves with the real issues at hand, or even who they are voting for stands for, me, I want someone who isn't owned by the establishment, which is unfortunately on both sides...

My goodness, how many Presidential Candidates stood up during their campaign speeches and said, "I have a Plan to" without even explaining their plan...???? Have we Americans become so Unconscious that we don't see thru that. Are we so identified by our political party that we vote for them regardless? Why?

I think if every American would register as an Independent, it sure would shake the bejesus, out of those slimy lying politicians....wouldn't it. I mean you could still vote for who you wanted, but....think about it....and people say they don't want to be independents b/c they can't vote the primaries....but no one shows up anyway?

So, regardless of what party you belong to, your vote counts, and I feel it is my responsibility to my country, family and myself, to show up to vote.

Maybe someday down the road, someone will come along and lift the ban on Independents voting in the primaries....in the meantime, I guess, way to many people feel their vote isn't important...or is it, it isn't important enough for me to vote, I don't feel like it, or it's just the primaries?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-21-2023 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: Please don’t use red font

Old 05-19-2023, 09:19 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
I stay away from threads about politics if possible. I've always felt that I know how I feel about what's going on, and I know you're not going to change my mind. I'm also pretty sure how others feel about it and I know I'm not going to change their mind, so why keep going with it. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:56 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I stay away from threads about politics if possible. I've always felt that I know how I feel about what's going on, and I know you're not going to change my mind. I'm also pretty sure how others feel about it and I know I'm not going to change their mind, so why keep going with it. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.
Well gman...I love to discuss politics, that's part of what's wrong with politics these days, refusal to discuss politics (and Religion) have helped put us in the place we are now.

So, let me attempt to wrap my mind around this (not so new) concept. You're fully aware of the direction the democrat party is taking us, that's me AND you, and ain't nobody going to change your mind...correct?

Come on gman, you don't work for the state anymore, you don't need someone to tell you how to vote. Just look around and make an informed decision...

Peace my friend...

Old 05-21-2023, 11:10 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Going in to this primary it was predicted about 10% of registered voters would turn out and that’s pretty much what happened. Independents can’t vote in the primary, so they weren’t going out. If you were Democrat you knew Beshear was winning, so why bother. Republicans had choices but most Republicans assumed Cameron was going to win, it was a matter of how much.

I was genuinely surprised Kelly Craft did as poorly as she did, she was predicted to get second and Quarrels beat her to get second by a healthy margin.

Worry not, though, the general election in November will definitely get a more robust turnout. As much as the thought of this makes me ill, I expect to see national advertising dollars coming in. I’ll be voting for my former student but I have no heartache with Beshear so will honestly be okay with either winning.

Old 05-21-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Oldhag1

Worry not, though, the general election in November will definitely get a more robust turnout. As much as the thought of this makes me ill, I expect to see national advertising dollars coming in.
I believe your right

Old 06-01-2023, 11:26 AM

265 posts, read 16,943 times
I didn't vote as the were only 2 things on the democrat ballot and no local elections, I will vote in November.
Move the Gov race up or back a year if you want turn out!

Old 06-01-2023, 11:37 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
I didn't vote as the were only 2 things on the democrat ballot and no local elections, I will vote in November.
Move the Gov race up or back a year if you want turn out!
I like having it on an odd year so all the attention is on the state race, not the national race. If someone doesn't have enough enthusiasm or care enough to vote, that's on them. No one should change the rules because of lazy voters.
People who don't vote are usually the ones that complain the loudest after they read about the election results in the paper or online.

Old 06-01-2023, 12:16 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Marino, when you mentioned people who complain the loudest reminded me of a lay pastor who was at our church in Sturgis when I was still there. His dad was in a nursing home. He, his attorney, and the judge were in his dad's room so the judge could give the son power of attorney. They were asking his dad a question to see if he was sound enough to know what's going on. They asked different things but didn't get a response. When the judge asked him who the President of the United States was, he kind of looked around for a minute, then said,"I don't know but he's got to be a damned site better than the one who is in there now!" They all said, "Yup. That's Mr. "Jones", and signed the paperwork. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky