Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:03 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
You did notice that Kentucky is not on or near the ocean, right?
With modern transportation seafood can be transported vast distances inland from the oceans. Maybe it's a case of supply and demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 08:40 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
With modern transportation seafood can be transported vast distances inland from the oceans. Maybe it's a case of supply and demand.
Supply and demand and cost ... I live in a rural area and have most of my unique food taste shipped in and the cost has gone up quite a bit in the last 2 years. So I've scaled back on those orders.

But you can't ship in fresh seafood here, it's all has to be frozen to ship which IMHO removes the "fresh" label. Fresh to me is still dripping in salt water. It's the difference in going to the local aquaculture farm and buying catfish or freshwater shrimp just plucked from the pond and going to the store and buying some rock hard frozen fillets. Frozen and fresh are different to me.

When I lived in NC and NOLA we'd go to the pier and buy seafood off the boat, that's fresh.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:19 AM

269 posts, read 812,007 times
Ah. Don't remind me. I'm moving there next year and the one addiction I have to kick before moving out of CA is my sushi addiction. No fresh fish, no sushi. (Unfortunately I just picked up this addiction last year after being pushed and pushed to try it... look at me now lol)

Although... I hear some online companies ship same day... I might look into that. lol. Probably costs an arm and a leg though. (Since sushi grade fish is already expensive to begin with...)

Old 04-02-2008, 05:41 AM

4 posts, read 18,333 times
Default moved to Kentucky

Well, I am glad I moved here, but I wish I wouldn't have moved here for the reasons I did. Most of all I wish I wouldn't have listened to one person and let them in my life like I did.

But other than that I LOVE IT HERE! Have made some wonderful friends, have a good job and would never change my residence here.

The nature here is beautiful and breathtaking at times. I love to sit on my porch swing and listen to the birds and watch the sun rise. It always takes my breath away at how peaceful it can be.

southernheart36

Old 04-02-2008, 05:56 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky_bound View Post
Well, I am glad I moved here, but I wish I wouldn't have moved here for the reasons I did. Most of all I wish I wouldn't have listened to one person and let them in my life like I did.

But other than that I LOVE IT HERE! Have made some wonderful friends, have a good job and would never change my residence here.

The nature here is beautiful and breathtaking at times. I love to sit on my porch swing and listen to the birds and watch the sun rise. It always takes my breath away at how peaceful it can be.

southernheart36
I'm glad you like it!

Old 04-03-2008, 10:56 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
You did notice that Kentucky is not on or near the ocean, right?
Yeah, I know that. But I bet I'm not the only one who has moved to a new place and still craves something from the old place. But no biggie, like I posted earlier, I use this craving as an excuse for a city outing to Chicago. Problem solved.

Regarding Sushi posted by another poster, try Tachibana on Newtown Pike, next to Residence Inn. It's owned by a Japanese and his customers are mostly Japanese. It has a small Japanese grocery store on the lower level that stocks my favorite mochi ice cream.

All said and done, Kentucky (at least the few places I've visited outside of Lexington) is not bad at all. It's a good place to raise a family that still holds traditional values. I've lived in many places before (Australia, South and East Asia, and several cities in the US). Everytime I move to a new place, I learn to adapt because it's either that or live miserably. Kentucky is not as laid back as some of the places I've lived in. Perth, Australia for example, 10 years ago when I lived there, all their groceries and convenience stores, malls, etc.. closed by 5pm. Stores only opened late 1 weeknight and most stores didn't open on Sunday, not sure if it's still the same now. My father in-law who visited once affectionately nick-named it 'the dump' . But the lack of nightlife forced us to spend more time on the beach at night listening to the surf until sleepy or at their public parks gazing stars.

Regarding people's attitude, how I'm accepted depends entirely on my own attitude towards others. I've learned to forsake whatever preconceived notions about a new place, and just learn everything about it with open mind, and you know what? I end up feeling happier and more content that way.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,974 times
Smile Soon to return to KY

My wife and I have lived in more than a-dozen cities, from coast to coast, and 2 years spent in KY (Lexington) in the late '80s convinced us that KY is where we will retire. I was a TV News anchorman in Lexington, but we fell in love with Louisville. I guess because it's a "river-city" the people are much friendlier and more accepting of outsiders, than we found in Lexington. Then, after moving to Washington, D.C. in 1989, we didn't re-visit Louisville until 2007. As we zero-in on retirement, we wanted to see if the Louisville of our memories still exists...and a 6-day visit gave us a resounding answer--YES. So we will make numerous visits over the next 18-months or so, to find our retirement home...but in our minds, Louisville is already "home."

Old 05-01-2016, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,183 times
I am moving to Louisville with some reservations, but husband got a good job there. I have faith but don't like others' shoved down my throat. Well aware of Kentucky Derby...is that all to look forward to?? Guess I will have to wait and see.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:21 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe Bowers View Post
I am moving to Louisville with some reservations, but husband got a good job there. I have faith but don't like others' shoved down my throat. Well aware of Kentucky Derby...is that all to look forward to?? Guess I will have to wait and see.
Where are you moving from? The KY derby is awesome. I predict Louisville grows on you...Lots of development going on in the city, and it is culturally much different than most of KY, but also shares a lot in common.

Anyways, feel free to post in the Louisville forum for advice.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:07 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe Bowers View Post
Hey Chloe just remember that attitude is everything. If you move here thinking you aren't going to like it,
that just might happen. Or you can look at it as an adventure and try to enjoy your journey..if you end up
hating it then it doesn't have to be your final destination, maybe just a stop along the way. And it can be a good stop or a bad one....

If you open your mind and give it a chance I think you might find a city that you just might fall in love with! The area and state has some great natural scenery -some of the prettiest in the country I think.
Lots of parks, forests, hiking. Throughout the year there various special festivals and events going on in Louisville. Check out Kentucky Center for the Arts, Actors Theater, visit a museum, take a ride on a Historic Riverboat - the Beautiful Belle of Louisville. If you are a foodie, you are in for a special treat because Louisville has some of the finest Dining imaginable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_eqExBpECg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky