Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 05:30 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,387,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville has FAR more gays than Lexington. Louisville is the 11th gayest city in the USA as 4.5% of the Metro area is gay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/21/up...abt=0002&abg=1

It is a statistical fact that there are TENS of THOUSANDS more gays in Louisville, a dozen more gay bars, and several gay retailers, none of which you will find in Lexington. This is not to say Lexington is not gay friendly. Its just not in the same stratosphere as Louisville....and that is ok!

Your anecdotal evidence is also off. Louisville attracts more transplants than anywhere in the state

Louisville had 16,338 Asians in 2010
Lexington had 9,553.

That's a huge difference. What's more, is almost all of Lexington's Asians are affiliated with UofK. Louisville, on the other hand, attracts immigrants, and has the neighborhoods to prove it. The fact is, neither city is all that diverse by national standards, but compared to Lexington , Louisville is more diverse in every way. Again, they are not comparable.

Cubans in Louisville | OnCuba

Immigrants Establishing Roots in New Gateway Cities

Louisville has the fastest rising immigrant population of any major city in the US.

Listen, Lexington is a great city, but it shouldn't try to compete with its substantially larger neighbor to the west. Instead, I would like to see a coalition between the two, and to form a "super region" or regional government. I could foresee the area supporting an NBA team in Louisville that also played some games at Rupp and also gaining a couple more Fortune 500s, and perhaps advanced manufacturing....but KY does not think outside the box.
The NBA concept is a very intriguing one. Such a team could be marketed as the the state's team (the Kentucky Colonels or Thoroughbreds, for instance), and could even play a few games in Northern Kentucky to bring in the Cincy area market as well. Would be a great way of promoting the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 07:03 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,639,390 times
I think an NBA team would be a fantastic idea here, and I'd love to see it happen. How can Memphis have an NBA team, but there's not one in Kentucky, the world capital of basketball? It would be like the NHL not having a team in Canada. Rotating between the Yum and the Rupp would be brilliant, and yeah, I think it would draw pretty well from the Cincinnati market as well.

I believe the biggest problem is that the U of L has priority at the Yum, and it would create scheduling conflicts. But if that could be worked out, I think Louisville and the state as a whole could make really strong presentation.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:49 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,069,271 times
Kentucky again claiming they are the world capital of basketball? That would be Indiana my good sir.

Just like when I hear that chili served Skyline style is from Kentucky. Please Kentucky just stop claiming things from other states. You have your mint juleps and your horses and your hot browns. Have some home state pride. I really find that many Kentuckians have this mentality of living in the shadow of other states. Especially those from Louisville.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:04 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,364,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Kentucky again claiming they are the world capital of basketball? That would be Indiana my good sir.

Just like when I hear that chili served Skyline style is from Kentucky. Please Kentucky just stop claiming things from other states. You have your mint juleps and your horses and your hot browns. Have some home state pride. I really find that many Kentuckians have this mentality of living in the shadow of other states. Especially those from Louisville.
Not sure how accurate this map is, but if Indiana's most popular sport isn't even basketball, how can it be the world capital of it, really?
Interesting enough map if you're a sports fan - Imgur

Old 10-25-2016, 02:34 PM

There are a lot of things I hate about Kentucky, and I'm not shy about pointing them out - but you have to give credit where credit is due. Kentcuky IS basketball. Kentucky is to basketball what Minnesota is to hockey. And just as with hockey there are states like Maine, Massachusetts, and Wisconsin that have strong claims to being hockey states, no other state can credibly claim to challenge Kentucky as the basketball capital of the world.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:03 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,069,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
There are a lot of things I hate about Kentucky, and I'm not shy about pointing them out - but you have to give credit where credit is due. Kentcuky IS basketball. Kentucky is to basketball what Minnesota is to hockey. And just as with hockey there are states like Maine, Massachusetts, and Wisconsin that have strong claims to being hockey states, no other state can credibly claim to challenge Kentucky as the basketball capital of the world.
Explain your position.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:10 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,364,960 times
Quote:
Explain your position.
Explain yours.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:05 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,257,945 times
Quote:
Explain your position.
What's to explain? His position is a slam dunk.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Explain your position.
Shooting guard - my primary responsibility is to score points; good ballhandling and good medium to longrange shooting skills are required, and the ability to drive to the basket when the opportunity presents itself is valuable. Rebounding skills are a bonus, but not essential, because my job is to be outside the paint and wait for someone else to come down with the ball and pass it out to me. Good free throw shooting is imperative, because the other teams need to be afraid to foul me when I'm positioning for a shot.

Good passing skills are a big plus, but not essential, because it's the point guard's job to bring the ball upcourt and distribute it. However, the ability to bring the ball up is useful. Aggressive defense is important, to force turnovers and create scoring opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky