Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 02:28 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,057,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
I think there is a thread on this already ...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...est-south.html

But for the record it's south.
i would also suggest Kentucky(W) vs. Kentucky (E)? this thread has been very active with people saying what they think kentucky is north,south,east,west

Last edited by Future Trooper; 04-20-2008 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 02:33 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
When I've driven through KY, and that is several times, different years, different seasons: it always felt as if I was in the South. If it was in the Midwest, perhaps I missed a signal on the highway.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 51,384 times
Whether KY is a southern state or a Midwestern state is dependent on what criteria you are evaluating. Ecologically and Geologically it is more of a southern state than a Midwestern state. Culturally it is too in some respects but in others it is definitely Midwestern. If you are talking historically the answer is mixed as well. Kentuckians served on both sides in the Civil War.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:55 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,345 times
Kentucky is emphatically not culturally Midwestern. I have lived in the actual Midwest and felt like a FOREIGNER there.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:16 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Kentucky is emphatically not culturally Midwestern. I have lived in the actual Midwest and felt like a FOREIGNER there.

I agree. I don't understand where this misconception comes from? What culturally is similar to the midwest in Kentucky?

Old 04-24-2008, 06:54 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
I have three regional terms for Kentucky:

FAR SOUTH MIDWEST
FAR NORTH SOUTH
(Just plain ol') KENTUCKY

We're not exclusively like either region, yet we share very many and very strong qualities of both. If you live in Bowling Green or Corbin, it will feel more southern than midwestern. (I would just call them southern lite, though.) Or, if you live in parts of Louisville or Alexandria, it will feel more midwestern than southern.

The only cities in Kentucky that I would ever call EXCLUSIVELY southern is Hopkinsville due to the area's slightly warmer and more humid climate than the rest of the state and its very high African-American population. Also, I'd list Scottsville, Franklin, Tompkinsville, and Burkesville because of their stronger cultural influences from Tennessee, for whatever reason. That's it.

As a side note, I wouldn't consider Corbin, London, Manchester, Whitley City, or any southeastern community close to Tennessee. Why? There is an overwhelming majority of Scots-Irish descendents and very little black population.

The only cities in Kentucky that I would ever call EXCLUSIVELY midwestern are any of the cities north of the I-75/71 split--or, for that matter, most of Louisville inside I-265.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:15 PM

31 posts, read 52,085 times
Having previously lived in the upper midwest, midwest, and deep south, Louisville feels like the midwest. Maybe it's the proximity to Indiana.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:42 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post

FAR SOUTH MIDWEST
FAR NORTH SOUTH

We're not exclusively like either region, yet we share very many and very strong qualities of both. If you live in Bowling Green or Corbin, it will feel more southern than midwestern. (I would just call them southern lite, though.) Or, if you live in parts of Louisville or Alexandria, it will feel more midwestern than southern.

The only cities in Kentucky that I would ever call EXCLUSIVELY southern is Hopkinsville due to the area's slightly warmer and more humid climate than the rest of the state and its very high African-American population. Also, I'd list Scottsville, Franklin, Tompkinsville, and Burkesville because of their stronger cultural influences from Tennessee, for whatever reason. That's it.

As a side note, I wouldn't consider Corbin, London, Manchester, Whitley City, or any southeastern community close to Tennessee. Why? There is an overwhelming majority of Scots-Irish descendents and very little black population.

The only cities in Kentucky that I would ever call EXCLUSIVELY midwestern are any of the cities north of the I-75/71 split--or, for that matter, most of Louisville inside I-265.
Have you actually lived in all of these cities? Unless you are in a place for a while I don't see how you know this for sure. I do think Bowling Green is probably more southern in feel than Louisville, but I still feel like I am in the south in Louisville. I have family I visit in southern Mississippi, Louisiana and Georgia and I find very little difference in those places and southern Kentucky.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:31 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,324 times
Well over here in Western KY I can tell you it's south, really, really south ... if you go to any store on Sunday you'd think you were south, south of the boarder that is.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:25 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post

FAR SOUTH MIDWEST
FAR NORTH SOUTH

Is that so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky