Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:05 PM

137 posts, read 448,403 times

Advertisements

Thank you Nightrider127 for also acknowledging that we also need our own space. Thanks for standing up for us over here in Northern Kentucky!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 07:52 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,603 times
I searched the forum for references to both Northern Kentucky and NKY, and here's what I got:
- Northern Kentucky -- referenced in 477 thread titles and 988 posts.
- NKY -- referenced in 101 thread titles and 188 posts.

More evidence that we could use our own sub-forum?

Old 03-05-2008, 03:15 PM

295 posts, read 974,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
Thank you Nightrider127 for also acknowledging that we also need our own space. Thanks for standing up for us over here in Northern Kentucky!!!

You're more than welcome Kentuckyguy. It's not hard to stand up for Northern Kentucky. People tend to think of Northern Ky as southern Cincinnati and that is just not the case.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:49 PM

156 posts, read 631,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider127 View Post
You're more than welcome Kentuckyguy. It's not hard to stand up for Northern Kentucky. People tend to think of Northern Ky as southern Cincinnati and that is just not the case.
How so? It's in the greater cincy's metro area? I'm from campbell and I and everyone here that I know consider ourselves Cincinnatians and also Kentuckians.

I'm not trying to break the back of the movement, but the moderator had good points when the idea first came up.

Rethinking however, I wonder if the Moderator could make it so Cincinnati showed up in both the KY forum and the OH forum? - that way the ownership / advertisement can be distributed evenly for the areas it represents, instead of just being in OH when that is not the case in reality. Maybe call it Cincinnati/NKY or something...

The city's forum should be big enough to cover Hamilton, Campbell, Kenton & Boone counties, and possibly also Gallatin, Grant, Pendleton & Bracken Counties. Some issues are different, but it's prob not even close to as bad as different sides of a much bigger city like the ATL sprawl.

A combined forum with links in both states may serve to unify posting and help outsiders understand the actual area that it covers.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:51 AM

295 posts, read 974,254 times
Sure, it's in the Cincinnati metro area. But I do think there is things that go on over in Northern Ky that would just interest those folks living on that side of the river, just as there is things that go on over on this side of the river that would just interest people on this side of the river.

I think also that people over in Northern Ky for the most part, would be better able to answer more questions about the area, just as we on this side of the river, for the most part, would be better able to answer questions about this side of the river.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider127 View Post
Sure, it's in the Cincinnati metro area. But I do think there is things that go on over in Northern Ky that would just interest those folks living on that side of the river, just as there is things that go on over on this side of the river that would just interest people on this side of the river.

I think also that people over in Northern Ky for the most part, would be better able to answer more questions about the area, just as we on this side of the river, for the most part, would be better able to answer questions about this side of the river.
That's my thinking, too. I also puruse the Cincinnati subforum, generally to answer questions/dispel myths about NKY.

But I think NKY is a special circumstance among regions that are part of metro areas covering multiple states (another example would be the region immediately east of St. Louis in Illinois). Because we're in a different state than the rest of the metro area, we have huge differences in terms of laws, taxes, politics, government structure, administration of education, etc.).

On top of this--and what I think really makes the difference over other multi-state metro areas--is that we're on what most would agree is the border between Northern and Southern culture and tradition. The fact that there's a lot of movement by the population between Cincinnati and NKY does blur the line a bit, but the rivalary or our-side-of-the-river pride is palpable on both sides. The only other area I can think of that has a similar situation is the area around DC/Northern Virginia.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:50 PM

Right on - I see your points. I agree that DC/Northern VA is probably the best comparison, although there is no truly great comparison.

I think those of us living in eye shot of both sides of the river may feel a bit more unified, although not to random areas in ohio up above the river valley. But as for downtown, mt adams mt lookout (etc.) and areas right near the river, I feel like we are always back and forth hanging out between here and there, and the areas share a lot of the same issues (and great views!). I can def see living out in Falmouth, feeling more separated (like it out there a lot by the way).

Old 03-06-2008, 05:01 PM

137 posts, read 448,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
That's my thinking, too. I also puruse the Cincinnati subforum, generally to answer questions/dispel myths about NKY.

But I think NKY is a special circumstance among regions that are part of metro areas covering multiple states (another example would be the region immediately east of St. Louis in Illinois). Because we're in a different state than the rest of the metro area, we have huge differences in terms of laws, taxes, politics, government structure, administration of education, etc.).

On top of this--and what I think really makes the difference over other multi-state metro areas--is that we're on what most would agree is the border between Northern and Southern culture and tradition. The fact that there's a lot of movement by the population between Cincinnati and NKY does blur the line a bit, but the rivalary or our-side-of-the-river pride is palpable on both sides. The only other area I can think of that has a similar situation is the area around DC/Northern Virginia.

I would agree entirely with this argument and overall position! We are a different state which in and of itself brings about many differences indeed. Kentucky by most is considered a southern state and Ohio a northern state. That said, putting both together in one forum wouldn't make any sense and thus not be logical. While both are influenced by each other, they are still very different. One big way in which they are different that I don't believe has been mentioned yet is the fact that while Cincinnati is very urban, Northern Kentucky for the most part is not which in itself is a big difference. Thus, the city and the country are to very different places. I would also like to point out as I believe someone already has that NKY has a population at or above approximately 400,000 people which is quite a large group of people. The city of Cincinnati, (the city itself not counting the suburbs) only has approximately 260,000 people and yet they have there own forum. Overall, I would ask for you to one again consider NKY having our own forum.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:16 AM

But still the fact remains that NKY is not a city (this is city-data.com)... the city it is a part of is Cincinnati, thus it is addressed in the Cincinnati forum.

Comparing the populations of a downtown area and a conglomeration of suburbs does not make any sense. I actually think it would be confusing to outsiders / redundant to add another forum for the "lower half" of a metro area, and I believe the moderator has made the logical decision...

Old 03-07-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyUK View Post
But still the fact remains that NKY is not a city (this is city-data.com)... the city it is a part of is Cincinnati, thus it is addressed in the Cincinnati forum.

Comparing the populations of a downtown area and a conglomeration of suburbs does not make any sense. I actually think it would be confusing to outsiders / redundant to add another forum for the "lower half" of a metro area, and I believe the moderator has made the logical decision...
I respectfully disagree, particularly because there are precedents on this site. You'll find subforums for similar regions in other states (see Northwestern Indiana, Northern Virginia, Western North Carolina, etc.), as well as for counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky