Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 03:43 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,259,720 times

Advertisements

For those of you who like food, you might be interested in reading this. Sounds like a lady who puts her own twist on certain aspects of "Kentucky cookin"

New cookbook 'Classic Kentucky Meals' promotes local, fresh flavors | Bluegrass Moms | Kentucky.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 04:27 PM

138 posts, read 174,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
For those of you who like food, you might be interested in reading this. Sounds like a lady who puts her own twist on certain aspects of "Kentucky cookin"

New cookbook 'Classic Kentucky Meals' promotes local, fresh flavors | Bluegrass Moms | Kentucky.com
Interesting. I especially found the part about sorghum intriguing. Intriguing enough to go find and try some .

I think she makes a good point about being more self-supporting and using products from our own areas and how that can help our communities.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAIN5 View Post
Interesting. I especially found the part about sorghum intriguing. Intriguing enough to go find and try some .

I think she makes a good point about being more self-supporting and using products from our own areas and how that can help our communities.
Growing Sorghum is an old tradition in Kentucky and my family in Kentucky used to grow it too. My great grandparents would grow it and then boil it, can it and then sell it at a local country store. My mom as a little girl remembers getting the crushed stalk of a Sorghum cane and licking it as it was so sweet. She has really fond memories of that growing up in Kentucky.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:24 PM

138 posts, read 174,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Growing Sorghum is an old tradition in Kentucky and my family in Kentucky used to grow it too. My great grandparents would grow it and then boil it, can it and then sell it at a local country store. My mom as a little girl remembers getting the crushed stalk of a Sorghum cane and licking it as it was so sweet. She has really fond memories of that growing up in Kentucky.
I don't think I've ever heard my mom mention sorghum, but corn...now she ate so much of that that she is now allergic to it .

Old 11-09-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAIN5 View Post
I don't think I've ever heard my mom mention sorghum, but corn...now she ate so much of that that she is now allergic to it .
Yup, nothing like a pot of fresh boiled "roast'n ears" as my family calls them. Just sit there with some salt and butter and gobble em up and wash it all down with a glass of kool-aid or sweet ice tea. That brings back some memories.
My great grandaddy died when I was really small and I dont know anyone in my family currently that grows Sorghum but they used too, and quite a bit too.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:38 AM

14,906 posts, read 8,230,037 times
I love corn on the cob....with salt and butter dripping off of it....lol...it is delicious.
And sweet tea. And corn bread. Fried green tomato's and fried chicken. Darn! You went and made me hungry!

Old 11-09-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I love corn on the cob....with salt and butter dripping off of it....lol...it is delicious.
And sweet tea. And corn bread. Fried green tomato's and fried chicken. Darn! You went and made me hungry!

Me too for that matter! Ever had fried sliced egg plants?

Old 11-13-2014, 02:17 AM

14,906 posts, read 8,230,037 times
No, I haven't tried fried egg plants....I will have to give that a whirl sometimes!

Old 11-13-2014, 05:43 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,637,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
There's nuthin' better than a skillet of fried corn! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Old 11-13-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
There's nuthin' better than a skillet of fried corn! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Fried Corn I don't believe I've ever had, but it sure sounds good! Roast'n Ears on the grill are good....
Try the fried egg plants as well. Just slice them like you would yellow squash or green tomatoes, a little plate of pepper salt and corn meal and a minute in the skillet....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky