Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 07:03 AM

536 posts, read 962,967 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get some gardens going in my yard. Everything tastes better when you grow it yourself. I did have some containers I grew some cucumbers in, and man they were good. Growing my own herbs has been good too. I kept a container of Basil, Thyme and Oregano. I used it all the time, and now I have it inside, but I don't know how well it will do. I'd like to have a few chickens for fresh eggs too!!!! A person can dream right???

I've seen Sorghum down in Berea. It's all made local. Or jarred local. I'm not even sure what Sorghum is? I know it's sweet. Must be like molasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 07:06 AM

Okay, here is what Sorghum is. You all probably already knew this!

Sorghum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-13-2014, 07:08 AM

And made into sweet syrup.

Sweet sorghum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-13-2014, 07:34 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,564,880 times
The way I like eggplant is on somebody else's plate. lol On the corn, just add some bacon grease and butter in the skillet and while it's cooking, add a tiny bit of flour for thickening, plus salt and pepper. That's my wife's recipe.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:35 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,250,943 times
I remember mom saying that lot's of families around the Owensboro area grew Sorgum Cane and made molasses, quite a bit back in the day. My family in Kentucky, sometimes would also use "Sorghum Molasses" and get it from somewhere so there must be somewhere around there where they are still growing it.

My grandmother would also drink a glass of straight Buttermilk sometimes during breakfast too .. yuk!

Big gardens and canning seems to be a big tradition in rural Kentucky, at least around where my people are from. EVERYONE around ther grew gardens and was involved in canning, and, it was an "all" summer affair. At my grandparents house....whether you like it or not, if you stayed the night and there was work in the garden, you got up and went out and helped as they had a "huge" garden.

Sometimes we whined a bit if it was a little hot out and we'd have to get out and dig new taters and pull and snap beans for dinner time that day and canning....well my popaw would say: "Well, you suuuuuure do like to eat it don't yah?" LOL.

They have a long hall way going the length of the house in the middle, used to be shelves and full of canned stuff., Sadly now, popaw is gone and my granny is in her upper 80's and not going to good. Where the garden used to be, is just a patch now....kinda sad now that I think of it. However, several of my aunts and uncles still garden.

They made tomato juice, different kinds, canned a zillion quarts of snap beans, new taters, pickles, chow-chow and hot, and sweet relish, sauerkraut ( yuk LOL ) okra, onions. They also had HUGE muskmellons ( Canteloupe ) and Watermelons and Honey-Dews. I remember sitting there on their porch in July in Kentucky with a table laid out. We'd slice some fresh red tomatoes, and maybe some sliced muskmellon, have a shaker of salt there and a tall glass of iced tea or kool-aid and we'd eat so many tomaters we'd turn green and get sick....I'm not kiddin yah!

They always had a pot for dinner time ( around 1:00 in the afternoon ) with some new red potatoes, green beans, onions, a hock of ham and okra. They'd boil it in a pot and then my grandmother would make pinto beans and fry some cornbread cakes. I mean "fried" as in lard, fried cornbread. Sometimes they had some boiled Mustard or Turnip greens also. This is what they ate virtually "everyday" I can count maybe on 3 or 4 fingers times when they "didn't" have fried cornbread on the table. They ate it with "everything" They were retired by the time my cousins and I came along so all summer work was...the garden and canning. The dinners they made were so good...I mean...soo good, the best food I've EVER eaten to this day. I'd give a million dollars to have a dinner table like they set again.

Those were the days.....

I'm sharing with you guys one of my most "cherished" photos of my granny and popaw in Kentucky, standing there with their garden. This photo was taken sometime in the early to mid 90's I believe. In the background is the huge garden they used to tend.......well, we all used to help tend LOL!

Old 11-14-2014, 10:04 AM

Great memories there Eric! Thanks for sharing. Love the garden your grandparents have in the photo.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
Great memories there Eric! Thanks for sharing. Love the garden your grandparents have in the photo.

Thanks! My grandfather ( we called him affectionately "popaw" in my family ) passed away sadly in 2001. My granny is still living up in Kentucky but she's in her upper 80's and as of late she hasn't been doing very good. They were both staunch catholics, but what I call "Kentucky Catholics"...different from the type of catholics that folks in other parts of the US might be used to.

They were pretty much just old fashioned country people, hillbillies, born and raised back in the "hills n' hollers" of Hancock County Kentucky. They liked gardening and canning, square dancing on weekends and my grandfather was a big Fox hunter and coon hunter and he loved to fish. He used to raise hunting dogs in Kentucky and sell them. He was a WW2 vet and taught me alot about life....and good music

They believed in an honest days work, such hard working, honest people.

Popaw and I were "best buddies" practically inseperable....spent alot of time together. With them it was a window back in time to life in Kentucky that most people have maybe lost or forgotten.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:13 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times
On mom's side every meal must have pinto beans and corn bread.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
On mom's side every meal must have pinto beans and corn bread.
I love the fried cornbread fritter cakes my grandmother made, like pancakes made of cornmeal, fried in lard but not sweetened. I cant eat pintos without them!

Old 11-15-2014, 09:54 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times
Cornbread recipes vary in mom's family even among sisters (my aunts). Some use regular milk and no eggs, some use eggs and no milk, I do it the right way with both buttermilk and eggs and a dab of sugar.

Salmon / mackerel patties are a common side item too. Any one else eat those? You take a can of fish, take the meat off the bone and skin, smash saltine crackers and mix them together with eggs and water, shape them into a patty and fry in a little grease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky