Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:13 AM

22 posts, read 83,838 times

Advertisements

While the rest of Kentucky has a predominent scotch-irish ancestrage, northern ky seems to be more german in background. This is evident in the architecture of places like covington and newport. Also, I doubt if Lexington will ever celebrate Oktoberfest. People from from Northern Ky also have a different accent. Apparently, Northern Ky had a thriving gaming industry back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 07:18 PM

564 posts, read 2,341,323 times
Even after living in Southeast Kentucky, I always thought Kentucky should be a Midwestern state. Doesn't matter what accent you have, it wasn't part of the Confederacy, therefore, not Southern. Everyone might as well be yankees. I'm from Mississippi and hearing Kentucky claim to be Southern is like Missouri saying it's Southern. Not happening.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:43 PM

149 posts, read 764,186 times
Heck, i think its hogwash to say Kentucky and its people *identify* entirely with any other state or region at all.

Citing history, go back further to post-Revolutionary migration of Cornwallis troops heading West through Cumberland Gap after surrender at Yorktown - y'all find true source of Kentucky independent spirit that doesnt identify alot with US Federal Gov either.

In my day I've dwelled at Metcalfe Co many years that practically borders Tennessee, nobody ther seemed to think on themselves as southerners. OTOH, nearby Bowling Green being Jefferson Davis' CSA stronghold remains powerfully southern inclined even today. Yet venture further South to Lakes Region and it seems this "southerness" becomes less apparent, thats my observation.

And heck, Bullitt and Mead and Spencer Counties (if not Jefferson itself) hardly identify with yankee traditions at all. July 4th sure as shootin aint the largest celebration at most places in the commonwealth. Alot more fun and attention goes into county fairs and festivals instaed. And thats how we mark our calendars, not according to 'national holidays.'

It's darned insulting, hearin folks define this place according to foreign standards. Do folks at Newport and Covington *actually* identify with Ohio??? Last time i was there, was different as night/day crossing the bridge. All the cool stuff, old buildings and architecture, mom'n pop shops and small businesses were on the Kentucky side...... with all the sucker stuff, chains and malls, tasteless and sterile skyscrapers on the Ohio side.

God save the Commonwealth from weird foreign influence, says me. And my advice to *anybody* moving here is IMMEDIATELY DISCARD whatever baggage yer lugging based on weird materialist tastes and needs or strange and fearful political/social upbringing of yer home state. Instaed reconnoitre everywhere else, including wherever you're from, to drift further and further from yer thoughts.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
Doesn't matter what accent you have, it wasn't part of the Confederacy.....
Yeah but one of the stars on the Confederate flag does in fact represent Ky, thus Jefferson Davis' CSA claimed Kentucky though it officially never succeeded from Union.

Meanwhile often driving Dixie Hwy (31W) from Bowling Green to Louisville, i caint find any point of demarcation where it becomes either yankee or confederate based as might be noticed today. Beaucoup CW history along that road too, Battle of Munfordville was probly the crossroads. Yer right though, Confederates never weilded control over the state.

Checkout Confederate "Kentucky Orphans Brigade" active in Southeast, Gen. Breckinridge (former VicePresident of USA) regiment that fought with vengeance to stop Sherman marching to Atlanta, also fought at Shiloh. Called themselves "Orphans Brigade" because KY never officially succeeded from the Union, hence they had no home they could return to.

Last edited by KYcoyote; 02-10-2008 at 12:36 AM..

Old 02-10-2008, 06:16 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times
Thank you KYcoyote!

Old 02-10-2008, 09:55 PM

Hi Missy, am back again tryin to stay outa fights - i like to think on the place as not bein a "state" in normal sense of the word at all. And its true that Franklin Co license plates draw shunned suspicion in most counties, but its got nothin to do with "northern yankees" - more like decent, self governed folks have little use for Frankfort centralized state gov presence at their home towns.

For hundreds of years we've happily dwelled as kin among neighbors with zero outside forces breathing down our necks. Outright identity with foreign states and/or asserting weird foreign bias against one another, inviting divisiveness among our own kind strikes me as TREASON.

(edit: and yeppers, Scot/Irish anscestry here is largely due to Cornwallis troops given choice to settle in wilderness West of Cumberland Gap creating what remains today the last holdout for civilized living beyond the pale of influence/interference from everywhere else.

Last edited by KYcoyote; 02-10-2008 at 11:20 PM..

Old 02-11-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcoyote View Post
Hi Missy, am back again tryin to stay outa fights - i like to think on the place as not bein a "state" in normal sense of the word at all. And its true that Franklin Co license plates draw shunned suspicion in most counties, but its got nothin to do with "northern yankees" - more like decent, self governed folks have little use for Frankfort centralized state gov presence at their home towns.

For hundreds of years we've happily dwelled as kin among neighbors with zero outside forces breathing down our necks. Outright identity with foreign states and/or asserting weird foreign bias against one another, inviting divisiveness among our own kind strikes me as TREASON.

(edit: and yeppers, Scot/Irish anscestry here is largely due to Cornwallis troops given choice to settle in wilderness West of Cumberland Gap creating what remains today the last holdout for civilized living beyond the pale of influence/interference from everywhere else.
Coyote I agree. I also have a hard time with people coming in from the outside trying to change things. As I have said before, I believe in tradition and heritage. There was an article in the paper a few weeks ago bashing our driving in the snow abilities. I wish I could say to them if ya don't like it, you are free to leave!

Old 02-12-2008, 05:48 PM

7 posts, read 12,423 times
because ya'll are yankees no offense of course but its only a rule of thumb Ohio has seemed to swallow ya'll up the way I think Kentucky has swallowed up Southern Indiana and brought it South. But im sure they're some good ole boys up there so if you cast you lot with them I wouldnt worry about it.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyeller View Post
because ya'll are yankees no offense of course but its only a rule of thumb Ohio has seemed to swallow ya'll up the way I think Kentucky has swallowed up Southern Indiana and brought it South. But im sure they're some good ole boys up there so if you cast you lot with them I wouldnt worry about it.
Where in KY are you hun? I guess you can say KY has swallowed up Southern IN since so many come here to work.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:49 PM

241 posts, read 1,335,439 times
I’ve lived in the Northern Kentucky region for nearly 30 years, and I’ve never been accused of being a Yankee. I get the feeling that some people from other parts of the state form this impression based on our geographical proximity to Ohio, not by actually getting to know the people from this region.

The three NKY counties that immediately border Ohio (Boone, Kenton, and Campbell) are largely urban areas and do have a lot of residents who moved there from Ohio, so that might also contribute to the Yankee impression. The southern drawl you’ll hear in most other areas of the state isn’t very prominent in these counties either, so that’s probably another reason. But the same can’t be said for the other four counties typically identified as part of NKY—Bracken, Pendleton, Grant, and Gallatin. These are mostly rural and agricultural counties with residents who are as Kentuckian as it gets. I’ve lived in five of the seven NKY counties (including all three border ones and presently Pendleton county), so I’ve got a pretty firm handle on the composition of this area.

I’ve spent time all over this state, including attending WKU in Bowling Green, countless vacations in the Red River Gorge and Lake Cumberland areas (primarily Russell County), visiting with my wife’s family in McCreary County, and working a job that took me all over the counties in the eastern part of the state. One thing that has made me love this state so much is that I’ve always felt a sense of solidarity with fellow Kentuckians, no matter what part of the state they or I were from. Oh sure, my lack of a proper southern twang raised a few eyebrows initially, but as soon as people learn I, too, actually live in this state, all is good. To be honest, until I discovered these forums a few months ago, I had no inkling that NKY was considered anything but another glorious part of this fine state.

One thing I think a lot of people from other regions of the state don’t realize is how damn proud people from this region are to be Kentuckians, particularly people who have lived here all their life (or long-time residents like me who’ve happily adopted Kentucky as their home state). Most of us consider ourselves Kentuckians first and residents of the “Tri-state” (Cincinnati metro area) a very distant second. In fact, I would say that among this group, most of us downright don’t like Ohio and hate being associated with it in any way (other than possibly being fans of the city’s pro sports teams). The vast majority of my friends growing up did everything they could to avoid crossing the river if possible, which was kind of a bummer since the nightlife was a lot more interesting around the University of Cincinnati than in NKY when I was young and single. In fact, among my close friends and family living in this region, I’m the only person I know who actually has a job in Ohio.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. There seem to be a lot of misconceptions about my area, so I’ve decided to make it my mission to clear them up as much as I can.

RG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky