Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 936 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Michigan to Burlington and when people ask us where that is, we always answer that it's on the flip side of Cincy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 08:17 AM

811 posts, read 888,188 times
Northern Kentucky is nothing like the rest of Kentucky. You are not in Kentucky, culturally, until you cross into Grant County. NKY is essentially Ohio South. This opinion is based upon me living in Florence, Louisville and now Lexington, and having travelled extensively throughout the State for work and pleasure. Nothing wrong at all with Northern Kentucky, but it is way more connected to Ohio than the Commonwealth.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:27 PM

10 posts, read 5,525 times
Been reading about the Invisable line dividing the north / south Kentucky . Interesting read , why ?
Because Michigan tend to do the same thing .

Us up here in the far north on Lake Superior , consider all those south of the Mackinaw Bridge flat landers or trolls . Many people up here want the U.P to be it's own state , which I find rediculas but they want it never the less. Why ?
Because our culture is totaly differant , we have a accent , which the flat landers don't have , we are a very slow paced people , most towns up here roll up the streets at 10 pm . No crime , no fancy life styles , no hot shot jobs , no millionaires , we drive fords / chevies . We support the Green Bay Packers over the Detroit Lions . Everything up here is differant than the Lower Penninsula , which makes us totaly differant than them . I actualy think you'll find this in ever state . I lived in 3 others besides here and I think that's true.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:58 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
I live in Tennessee and sometimes make trips up north following I-75. I consider myself to be leaving the south officially when I pass over the Ohio river but culturally the south begins to thin out north of Lexington. When I get far enough north that sweet tea is not automatically assumed to be the type of tea a customer would order or even where sweet tea could be unavailable you must question the areas southerners. It is the sweet tea line and you pass it when you pass Lexington. I do however recognize the US census definition of the south and the historical definition both of which place the border as the Ohio river. Funny though you can drive just 5 hours north of northern Kentucky and your looking at thick upper midwestern accents, hockey fanatics and two feet of snow. I understand why people question its southerners.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
[FONT=Verdana]I not sure why the Northern part of Kentucky is always criticized on here for being Northern or yankee in culture, speech, etc in these forums on city data. I have not been accused of being a yankee because I am from the Northern part of Kentucky. It is for whatever reason only on this website that we are told we are yankees and not at all like the rest of the state mostly from people that aren't even from here!

Well, I would like you to hear from someone who actually lives in Northern Kentucky and can help set the record straight. We do as the rest of the state consider ourselves to Southerners. The Northern Kentucky for the most part is very rurual as much of the South. Many of us speak with a Southern twang as do many people in the rest of the state. Yes that is right, many here speak with a Southern accent. I hear a Southern accent very often here if not everyday. Many who are not from here won't believe me, but it's true!

Many of us like the rest of the South go to church on a regular basis. If you look at our voting records for our city here in Northern Kentucky, we vote Republican as does most of the South. We value family, having good manners and trying to treat people right. For the most part, people you come in contact with here are friendly and very nice. Is everyone, of course not, but that is true with any place even in the deep South.

Many of us would consider ourselves Cincinnatians due to how close we are to Cincinnati. However, Northern Kentuckians are Kentuckians first and Cincinnatians second if that. Some of us don't consider ourselves Cincinnatians at all. I am one of those people who does not consider myself to be from Cincinnati at all. I am from Kentucky and am very thankful to live in Kentucky. It is true that when you cross the river into KY are really are in another state with another culture that is very different than Cincinnati.

People that transfer here come from everywhere including Ohio. People come here from the Midwest and also from other parts of the South.

I don't know why, but it is mostly people from Louisville who question our part of the state being Southern. In fact, I have never heard anyone from Lexington say that about us. I would think given Louisville's geographical area and fact that they also get accused of not being Southern would understand that we are also not yankees. Is Northern Kentucky influenced by the Midwest, absolutely, but so is Louisville as well as other parts of Kentucky!

I don't care what anyone says on here. The Northern part of Kentucky is part of the South and is still an important part of Kentucky. Period.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

I’ve lived in Northern Ky for a period of time as I am from Hardin co.(south central area) KY, and most every person I’ve met/known from the northern part of the state are very much whistling Yankee Doodle! Due to the fact of there personalities. There is no hospitality with those people,they talk about there best friends/family like garbage all the time as if it’s normal behavior. I’ve asked and gotten the reply:”every small towns like that” NO! there not! Most small towns know of the big mouthed hateful folk in there area which is usually a group or even a well known single person.Example:”watch what you say here comes big mouth Barbra”! But for some reason it’s the entire communities! Very much not the down home hospitable hole some well rooted reputation we folks have that come from our beautiful state...Indiana/Ohio can have them! Put a bad wrap on the rest of the state!

Old 06-14-2021, 07:15 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
It's become obvious that Northern KY is suffering from the same ailment as Cincinnati is across the river. Most of Ohio it seems considers Cincinnati to be an extension of Ky into Ohio and more Kentuckian culturally just as Kentuckians consider Northern KY an extension of Cincinnati into their state.
Given that Cincinnati airport is in KY, and the Kentucky portion of the Ohio River extents to the shore of Cincinnati, I'd say KY has the upper hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky