Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:55 AM

3 posts, read 9,127 times

Advertisements

Culturally and Economically I would say that a great continuity begins somewhere near Dyer and runs to the Southern tip of Indiana with Indianapolis as a sort of island metropolis in the middle. This is similar to Illinois in that just south of Cook County through the southern tip you get like culture and economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 06:07 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,135 times
Default South Of Indy

Having just moved to Indianapolis from Fort Wayne there are more southern accents here. I live on the north side where there really are not any accents but once you get into Johnson county they are noticeable.

With that said I would say it starts south of 465.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:42 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,460 times
I remember seeing a diagram at IUPUI once that charted how Indiana was settled, which also explains the accents somewhat. Northern Indiana, down to around Wabash or so, was mainly with folks coming from the east. South of there, more people came up from the south, and this Appalachian immigration really picked up in the years around and after WWII. Most Indiana towns with much industry attracted quite a few displaced Kentuckians during this period, and although some went farther north, there are certainly more to be found in central and southern Indiana. I went to high school in Elkhart county, and when I moved here I thought many had a southern accent.

But for general geographical purposes, I think the map up above is pretty close to what I'd consider southern Indiana.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:28 PM

54 posts, read 99,299 times
Oddly enough, as a KENTUCKIAN, I have southern accent-not a drawl-but an accent, but there is not an "R" in WASH.

For Kentuckians, especially Louisvillians, "Southern Indiana" holds a different meaning than for Hoosiers. We think of Southern Indiana as any area of Indiana that is COMMUTABLE, ie: across one of the major bridges from Louisville, within say 45 minutes of downtown Louisville. Anything else, is just "Indiana". No north or south to it.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:14 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,452,892 times
Folks, y'all got a great little cultural geography thread going here.

I've heard that the division used to be called the "US 40 Line", roughly following the route of US 40 (which would be Washington Street in Indy). But I agree that this line is fuzzzy, as all things like this are, and things might be getting more southern further south. Drawing the line around Seymour makes sense.

And, when you're in that hill country and rolling flatlands around Nashville, Paoli, Salem and Corydon it does seem like a northern extension of Kentucky.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:47 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,112,694 times
Funny, but true story....

I moved to (Southern) IN from TX.

For the first year or two while living here I would actually breath a little sigh of relief when we crossed the Ohio.

Why?

It was nice to be someplace where I could say "y'all" without being asked to repeat myself.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:19 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
Folks, y'all got a great little cultural geography thread going here.

I've heard that the division used to be called the "US 40 Line", roughly following the route of US 40 (which would be Washington Street in Indy). But I agree that this line is fuzzzy, as all things like this are, and things might be getting more southern further south. Drawing the line around Seymour makes sense.

And, when you're in that hill country and rolling flatlands around Nashville, Paoli, Salem and Corydon it does seem like a northern extension of Kentucky.
I read in college that the majority of people who settled the northern areas of Indianapolis came via the National Road from the Northeast, while those who settled the southern areas came primarily from Appalachia.

There may be some truth to this, if you compare both sides of town today. To someone from Meridian-Kessler or Broad Ripple, Fountain Square may as well be Tennessee.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:38 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I read in college that the majority of people who settled the northern areas of Indianapolis came via the National Road from the Northeast, while those who settled the southern areas came primarily from Appalachia.

There may be some truth to this, if you compare both sides of town today. To someone from Meridian-Kessler or Broad Ripple, Fountain Square may as well be Tennessee.
Fountain Square as Tennessee? I really don't think so.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:16 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,031 times
This is what I always found interesting about going to High School in Gary back in the 60's. Each area of the city was different from the others. East Glen Park was alot of Southerners. Other parts of town were Eastern European. Other parts were Jewish or Puerto Rican. I even remember 1 Puerto Rican student who had moved to Gary from Memphis and she spoke English with a Southern drawl! I personally consider anything south of Bloomington as Southern Indiana.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:58 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Fountain Square as Tennessee? I really don't think so.
Of course not. But back in the "old days", there was a little bit of a cultural stigma living down there. It's one of the best 'hoods in Indy, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana