Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:18 PM

9 posts, read 26,487 times

Advertisements

I would say everything below Indianapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 07:53 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
^^I'm not sure if I agree with that. When we talk about "Southern Indiana", we're referring to an area of the state that starts to take on a more culturally Southern feel, in terms of the terrain, climate, accents, architecture, everything on down to manneurisms. Contrast this with stereotypically Midwestern attributes like flat terrain, colder weather, flatter accents, etc.

I think most people would agree that the arbritary line starts a bit further south than Indy, like around Brown County or so. The difference is especially prevalent in the extreme south of the state, where the accents start to turn more Kentuckiana and the weather is generally warmer, for example.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:29 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
^^I'm not sure if I agree with that. When we talk about "Southern Indiana", we're referring to an area of the state that starts to take on a more culturally Southern feel, in terms of the terrain, climate, accents, architecture, everything on down to manneurisms. Contrast this with stereotypically Midwestern attributes like flat terrain, colder weather, flatter accents, etc.

I think most people would agree that the arbritary line starts a bit further south than Indy, like around Brown County or so. The difference is especially prevalent in the extreme south of the state, where the accents start to turn more Kentuckiana and the weather is generally warmer, for example.

This map is probably the closest to drawing a solid line between "Southern Indiana" and the rest of the state.

This line starts roughly at the Sullivan/Vigo County line and goes due East to the Green County Line and then North to Clay County line and then east to Owen County and then North/East to the Putnam County line and then goes directly east splitting Morgan County almost in half and then roughly follows Indiana 44 and then goes east to Shelby/Rush/Decatur County line splitting Shelby County by a third and then goes east to Decatur/Franklin/Rush County line then goes north to Franklin-Rush-Fayette County line and goes directly east exiting into Ohio.

That is roughly about how I would define where "Southern Indiana" starts.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:42 PM

13 posts, read 44,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I don't know............ I went to school in, and visit often, Evansville. The only time I heard a twang is when I crossed the river into full-on southern twang in Kentucky. There is a pretty big difference between the two really.

*edit* --> note that I am just talking about the "twang" reference. Obviously Evansville falls well within Southern Indiana
I agree with this completely. You'll get an occasional "warsh" in E-ville, but if cross the river into Henderson you can hardly understand what they're saying. I think it's mostly that people from Northern Indiana, and specifically "The Region", don't know what a real Southern accent sounds like.

They also refuse to believe that they have any accent at all.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:45 PM

13 posts, read 44,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
I grew up in Indy and always joked that Washington Street is where "southern" Indiana began, even though Hanna Ave. (the boundary between Center and Perry Twps) is actually the line of latitude for the Mason-Dixon line.
Actually, it's Warshington Street where Southern Indiana begins.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:51 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times
I grew up in Southern Indiana & I will also agree that Future Trooper's map is pretty accurate...And yes, my mom often goes to Warshington, IN to go shopping. Been trying to correct her for years- not gonna happen

Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMac View Post
I agree with this completely. You'll get an occasional "warsh" in E-ville, but if cross the river into Henderson you can hardly understand what they're saying. I think it's mostly that people from Northern Indiana, and specifically "The Region", don't know what a real Southern accent sounds like.

They also refuse to believe that they have any accent at all.
I think there may be fewer "Southern" accents in "the Region" now than there were 40 years ago. But there was definetly alot of Southern accents around Gary back then because the area was for the most part settled by folks from Tennessee,Kentucky,Arkansas and Mississippi. Not to mention Greek,Armenian,Russian,Slovak etc accents.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:42 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,574,531 times
I always thought Southern IN started when you are south of Bloomington. Although that map posted above looks pretty reasonable.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:32 AM

92 posts, read 445,725 times
I would agree with the map too as being a decent representation of southern Indiana.

I was born and raised in the Evansville area (Vanderburgh and Posey counties). When I was 20 years old, I moved to an area 30 miles south of Ft. Wayne. The people up here (including my future husband) made fun of my accent. I never considered myself as having an accent, but I sure can notice it when I am back in Evansville visiting my family and friends. My husband said my accent is pretty much gone, except for the fact that I don't pronounce my "L" very clearly. It is funny to hear my little nieces who are 5 and 2 talk with their "accents."

I hate the geography up here in Northeastern Indiana (except for when you get around Pokagon State Park). Way too flat for this gal who grew up in the rolling hills of southern Indiana.

This has definitely been an interesting thread.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:42 AM

111 posts, read 345,969 times
I think southern Indiana starts farther south than Columbus. You really don't start getting very southern until south of Seymour (in my opinion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana