Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 02:25 PM

676 posts, read 407,837 times

Advertisements

I'm not a native of Indiana, but having listened to several natives talk from all over the state (even as far north as the central parts, such as Indianapolis and Muncie), I couldn't help but notice so many had mild southern American accents. Linguistics such as William Labov, Charles Boberg, Jessica Pierson and Rick Aschmann have also pointed this out. Places on the same latitude in adjacent central Ohio and central Illinois however, almost always sound completely neutral.

Governor Eric Holcomb I think is a prime example of what I'm talking about. He grew up in central Indiana (somewhere that is pretty far north from anywhere considered culturally “southern”), yet while he has no drawl, he consistantly pronounces words ending in "en" as "in" and words like "hide" as "hahd";

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTjI3ZoRNCk&t=105s

Why do you think this is? Would be interested to get others thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2023, 02:43 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Dunno why, but a lot of them do.
I was a trucker. From the south, but lived in Seattle, California, Chicago, Atlanta and more. So I've heard a few accents.
I have been saying for years that people from southern Indiana and even southern Illinois are southerners. They know it, too. At a certain point entering southern Illinois the accent changes as do the mannerisms. By the time you get to the Kentucky border they are southerners through and through.
Paducah has its own peculiar accent, and some of that leaks across the border.

Old 11-17-2023, 05:43 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Accents are variable depending on the city in Indiana also. Martinsville or Shelbyville have a more pronounced southern accent compared to Bloomington or Lafayette, the latter two are both college towns with a younger population and more diversity in demographics.

Old 11-18-2023, 08:13 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
growing up near south bend, I always thought that Kentuckiana accents started south of US 30.

Old 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I'm from Appalachia. I have a thick Southern accent. Lived in Carmel for years. Once you get past Columbus or so, there are no Southern accents among people local to that area.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:24 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm from Appalachia. I have a thick Southern accent. Lived in Carmel for years. Once you get past Columbus or so, there are no Southern accents among people local to that area.
The Ohio Valley has lots of variability in terms of accents, but definitely more southern overall.

Old 11-20-2023, 10:01 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
I grew up in Noblesville (20 minutes NE of Indy), and we didn't call it "Nobletucky" for nothing. Many of the friends I had in High School had families that came from both Kentucky and Tennessee.

Old 11-21-2023, 06:11 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It certainly does still exist across rural parts and small towns even in the northern half of Indiana. I have family that lived their entire lives in a small town about halfway between Indianapolis and South Bend and some of them have a southern kind of twang to their speech. But weirdly not all of them do despite growing up together in the same small town.

Old 11-21-2023, 01:00 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times
A lot of the linguistic differentiation throughout the Great Lakes / Midwest states is determined by the historic settlement patterns and countries of origin / culture. You may find Colin Woodard's books about the 11 different cultures of interest. As one person already mentioned, the US Route 30 as north south demarcation is fairly accurate throughout the area.

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...es-2015-7?op=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0YAR_vsQZ8

Last edited by ciceropolo; 11-21-2023 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: additional

Old 11-21-2023, 01:58 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
I worked with a woman from Merrillville who spoke with a very pronounced Southern accent. I think she was putting it on though or adapting to local customs, as women sometimes do.

I've found that women tend to adapt local accents when they relocate much quicker than men do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana