Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 05:01 PM

676 posts, read 408,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
A lot of the linguistic differentiation throughout the Great Lakes / Midwest states is determined by the historic settlement patterns and countries of origin / culture. You may find Colin Woodard's books about the 11 different cultures of interest. As one person already mentioned, the US Route 30 as north south demarcation is fairly accurate throughout the area.

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...es-2015-7?op=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0YAR_vsQZ8
I know that book very well and believe it or not, have even spoken to the author very briefly. I think his thesis is supurb, however I would not agree at all that route 30 is the demarcation line, nor would a lot of people. Rather I see it more as I-70 because cities like I said that are adjacant in latitude to central Indiana in neighboring Ohio and Illinois have very neutral accents (Dayton, Springfield, Columbus, Decatur, etc.) but for some reason people from all over Indiana (even places as north as Kokomo) will speak with mild southern accents. Look at this map for example;

https://aschmann.net/AmEng/#SmallMapUnitedStates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 09:55 PM

680 posts, read 717,271 times
i have famiy in gibson county/evansville area. When oeople from other areas hear them talk, we just call it sorta hillbilly.
Because its not really southern, just a kind of twang on some words...at least with the friends and family I have lived there all their lives. Some people really drawl it out while others don't.
I know my family can not say wash. Its "I need to WARSH the car." They put an R in it.

Old 11-22-2023, 08:04 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
I know my family can not say wash. Its "I need to WARSH the car." They put an R in it.
That's definitely not a Deep South thing. Nobody I've ever heard from Alabama says "warsh". It may be an upper Appalachian / Ohio Valley thing that is also fairly common in Indiana. I knew a guy from Anderson, IN who said "warsh".

Not that it necessarily bears any resemblance to reality; but Carl from Sling Blade says "warsh", and that takes place in Arkansas.

Old 11-22-2023, 08:25 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I grew up in Noblesville (20 minutes NE of Indy), and we didn't call it "Nobletucky" for nothing. Many of the friends I had in High School had families that came from both Kentucky and Tennessee.
Colum-tucky in da house.

Old 11-23-2023, 04:14 PM

17,339 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
That's definitely not a Deep South thing. Nobody I've ever heard from Alabama says "warsh". It may be an upper Appalachian / Ohio Valley thing that is also fairly common in Indiana. I knew a guy from Anderson, IN who said "warsh".

Not that it necessarily bears any resemblance to reality; but Carl from Sling Blade says "warsh", and that takes place in Arkansas.
I live on the KY side of the Ohio River below Ohio. Funny but people across the river have a semi-Southern accent but also say "warsh". "Warsh" is never heard on my side of the river unless it's coming from someone from Ohio. People here have regular Southern accents, some very thick, others not as thick but no one from KY says "warsh".

I once asked someone from the north side of the river if people in northern Ohio have a different accent from southern Ohio and they looked at me strangely and said....Nooooooooo. LOL They had no idea what I was talking about.

Old 11-23-2023, 08:13 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,395,814 times
My parents, who were from Wyoming, said warsh instead of wash. According to Quick and Dirty Tips, "The intrusive R in “warsh” is most commonly associated with a dialect of American English known as the Midland dialect. The exact boundaries of the Midland dialect region vary from study to study, but all the analyses agree that covers most of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, and Missouri, as well as parts of Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma."

My grandparents were all from these Midland states.

There's a whole site dedicated to the Midland dialect: https://theamericanmidlanddialect.we...sier-apex.html

Old 11-24-2023, 01:12 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
My family is from Tennessee and Kentucky and they all say worsh for wash, holler for hollow and ort for ought.

Old 01-27-2024, 12:53 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,012,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

You hear that in St. Louis, Missouri and up into Iowa.

Old 01-27-2024, 10:43 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,793,470 times
I’ve been here in Alabama 60+ years now and been saying “warsh” the whole time. I did come here from Kentucky though. I’m on a self-improvement plan now to change to “wash” but I must admit it’s a slog.

Old 01-28-2024, 08:17 AM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 5 days ago)

792 posts, read 373,012 times
My grandparents from Ohio said warsh but it seemed to have ended with them. It didn't stick me with but a couple years in Texas and I am still trying to drop the ya'll. Fortunately 'fixin' never took. Need to go back to being a real midwesterner and saying you guys and pop - got ridiculed a couple of times for pop and started saying soda but now am back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana