Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 11:35 AM

35,121 posts, read 31,403,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
I can handle gray winters but freezing rain is a Mod cut.. I haven't nailed down a zip as I'll be in an extended stay until May, but a studio or 1BR for up to $500 in a no-drama area near a bus line works for me, and yeah I've heard stories about the SE side.

It seems like Indiana as a state has its stuff in order. It's not a blue state, plenty of retail/food options in the cities including Ft. Wayne, low unemployment, cost of living, etc. Guess I'll find out for certain in about 3 weeks.
To me, where Indiana excels is by never being at the bottom anywhere.

Aside from the outdoors stuff, my QoL in Carmel was better than where I am now, even though my income remained the same. It's just a nicer place to live. My girlfriend at the time lived in Anderson and I've been through all the hard hit Rust Belt towns. Even those places are a lot nicer than many of the spots I grew up around in southwest Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 05:59 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,084,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I can't remember anybody here saying that hiking at Ft. Harrison is just like climbing a 14er or that sailing at Geist Reservoir is just like white water rafting, or any other such nonsense.

It doesn't happen on this forum, but another. It is a forum where when I tell people that hiking here compared to areas out west is of a much lower tier, my comments gets down-voted as it isn't considered to be "pro-Indy" which many on that forum seem to demand. Basically, if one puts any sort of negative light on almost any aspect of the city, it upsets the diehard fans for some reason. I've witnessed at least a few messages from people coming from the PNW or S. California who talk about their love of outdoor adventure in those areas, mostly hiking or backpacking in the mountains throughout the region. It never fails that a few posters will provide a message that sounds like the possible future resident will easily get the same experience hiking Eagle Creek, Shades, or Ft. Ben. I come along and tell them the truth, that the level of which they are used to in terms of space, elevation, etc. isn't found here. For some reason, the truth doesn't go over very well.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:50 AM

8,987 posts, read 17,323,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
It isn't just what someone grows up with. It comes down to what specific individuals are looking for when it comes to outdoor recreation. When I read comments from people asking about taking a job in Indy, who come from certain areas of the country and claim they are very into backpacking and/or day hiking in certain environments, I truthfully tell them that our options are poor. I've seen people comment to those considering relocating from Vegas, SLC, or Denver that "Oh, you'll love our outdoor options here. We have amazing hiking here." I just don't understand the trying to butter up our options as if hiking in Ft. Harrison State Park is the same as hiking in the national and state park and forest lands of the west.
I think it is fair to say hiking in Brown County is not the same as hiking in the Rockies. That wasn't my point.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:51 PM

3,075 posts, read 2,415,470 times
OK, understood. I still wouldn't say our outdoor options here are poor. True, hard-core outdoor enthusiasts want a certain scale or level of difficulty. But regular Janes and Joes who want a day trip or to get out of the city environment for a while have a lot of nice options here, some of them within the city limits, and usually uncrowded. Having been to state and national parks all over the west, I think our parks here are beautiful. If someone doesn't appreciate the natural scenery here--the flowering trees, the broadleaf forests, the fall colors, the orange sunsets, the fireflies, the soft gray and green winters--I don't know what to say.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:24 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,055,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Just for curiosity sake and for comparison I'm wondering what you set your thermostat to? I have a house just under 1,500 square feet and don't think I've seen a gas bill over $120 yet in the winter. We keep the house between 67-69 in the winter, have a 23 year old furnace which we're considering replacing soon and a 95 year old house.

I keep it at 68 year round. I put in a new 95% efficient furnace about 10 years ago. My house was built in 1826 part of a land grant parcel under President Grant, out of triple brick wall construction; it's a Southern Colonial style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana