Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 12:03 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,059,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless in Florida View Post
To those of you that lived in FL (and hated it)- I share a lot of your sentiments and have been exploring other options. My in-laws are interested in moving too, and mentioned Indiana, which I wasn't even considering. I was looking at places like Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Washington... places that offer good job opportunities and a lot of activities, with an emphasis on outdoor recreation. Someone mentioned that Indiana would be "a step down" as far as fun activities go. Can you comment on that? I have 3 boys, about to become teenagers, and I'd like them to learn to drive on safe roads and also have plenty of opportunities for recreation, schools and part-time jobs, and not be bored to death and counting the years until they can move away. What are your thoughts on this, comparing FL to IN?
I'd just like to add that if you choose the West as opposed to Indiana, you better like snow...A LOT, and a lot higher real estate and utilities costs. Indiana has pretty mild winters, especially if you live below Indianapolis area. I have a 2700 sq. ft. home and my gas highest bill for one month, maybe 2, is $300 a month. My electric is $125, but it includes a 40 X 80 pole barn/horse stable whose light is on a lot. Indiana is cheap, clean, and overall a great place to raise kids, and the money you save here can be spent to have vacations or condos elsewhere when you just have to "get away".

We have safe waters to be in, safe woods, and lots of outdoor activities, especially if you live within driving distance to one of our larger lakes, like Lake Monroe (close to Indiana University) or Brookville Lake (on east central side of State). State parks with lakes offer boating, skiing, horseback riding, canoeing on local small rivers and fishing. Good luck on your journey....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 01:47 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,998,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I'd just like to add that if you choose the West as opposed to Indiana, you better like snow...A LOT, and a lot higher real estate and utilities costs. Indiana has pretty mild winters, especially if you live below Indianapolis area. I have a 2700 sq. ft. home and my gas highest bill for one month, maybe 2, is $300 a month. My electric is $125, but it includes a 40 X 80 pole barn/horse stable whose light is on a lot. Indiana is cheap, clean, and overall a great place to raise kids, and the money you save here can be spent to have vacations or condos elsewhere when you just have to "get away".

We have safe waters to be in, safe woods, and lots of outdoor activities, especially if you live within driving distance to one of our larger lakes, like Lake Monroe (close to Indiana University) or Brookville Lake (on east central side of State). State parks with lakes offer boating, skiing, horseback riding, canoeing on local small rivers and fishing. Good luck on your journey....
Just for curiosity sake and for comparison I'm wondering what you set your thermostat to? I have a house just under 1,500 square feet and don't think I've seen a gas bill over $120 yet in the winter. We keep the house between 67-69 in the winter, have a 23 year old furnace which we're considering replacing soon and a 95 year old house.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:38 PM

29 posts, read 25,708 times
Im ex navy and was stationed in Staten Island NY back in 94.Great experience for a Hoosier boy and his first time away from home.No need for a car because the transportation system there was amazing from catching the ferry to Manhattan then the subway E,J the 9 ect to Flatbush or Queens.I loved my time there and would advise folks to visit and you'll see its exactly like tv portray it.Now visiting a place vs living there is two different things. I would honestly prefer living here or any place similar because your money goes further and its a good place to raise a family. NYC their literally living on top of each other but still a must see city

Old 02-20-2019, 12:13 AM

2,392 posts, read 2,348,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Indiana has been good to me regarding solid employment and wages relative to cost of living. However, the other quality of life factors in the state leave a good bit to be desired. Yes, I'm looking at moving within the next year, preferably to the Pacific Northwest or Upper Midwest. The sooner the better...
As I'm likely moving from the northeast to Fort Wayne late next month I'd like to know what quality of life issues are problematic other than the ghettoism in the cities, possible tornado warnings(we got one where I'm at a few months back) and perhaps poor road maintenance(tho IDK if roads will be any worse than Pottstown, PA).

Old 02-20-2019, 08:08 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,998,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
As I'm likely moving from the northeast to Fort Wayne late next month I'd like to know what quality of life issues are problematic other than the ghettoism in the cities, possible tornado warnings(we got one where I'm at a few months back) and perhaps poor road maintenance(tho IDK if roads will be any worse than Pottstown, PA).
Ghettoism in the cities? Who perpetuates these false narratives? I've yet to see one city that doesn't have its poor areas.

For the record, Fort Wayne is one of the nicer cities in the state, it has a lot of good things going for it. Population growth, job growth, a good reputation, low cost of living, and a reinvigorated downtown.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:27 AM

26,439 posts, read 46,690,461 times
Quote:
It's mostly weather related in southern Indiana: (way too much rain (72.00'' of rain last year, allergies, air quality, etc). Road conditions in most of Indiana are mediocre at best, in some cases horrific. Yes, many cities are on an upswing, Fort Wayne I don't know that much about, other than it ranks fairly average in most categories with low cost of housing. If you're in Fort Wayne, it is an easy drive to Indy if you want larger city events or activities. I prefer the Michiana region by Lake Michigan, Indiana Dunes National Park is nice.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:27 AM

35,133 posts, read 31,425,459 times
Quote:
Depends on where you are coming from and what you are familiar with.

I moved from northeast TN to Indianapolis, then back to TN when I had a good local offer.

The biggest thing for me to adjust to was the lack of nature around Indianapolis. I was used to seeing mountains, lakes, rivers, etc., every day. That just isn't possible in Indianapolis/Fort Wayne. Look around Fort Wayne on Google Maps and you'll see what I mean.

The infrastructure, especially roadways, was awful. I had three flats in three years in Indy from potholes. I can't recall the last time I hit a nasty pothole here in Tennessee. Indiana roads are notoriously bad.

The biggest difference was that the job market was much better and the cost of living, in spite of moving to a major city, was effectively a toss-up.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:26 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,085,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The biggest thing for me to adjust to was the lack of nature around Indianapolis. I was used to seeing mountains, lakes, rivers, etc., every day. That just isn't possible in Indianapolis/Fort Wayne. Look around Fort Wayne on Google Maps and you'll see what I mean.
True back-country areas in the metro area are just minimal at best. To see some people act like it isn't that different from other ares of the country blows my mind. I see this mostly on other forums, people coming from the PNW, S. CA, etc.. They ask about outdoor opportunities and some just try to paint a picture that Indy has everything they have back home. It reads to me that for some people, hiking in Eagle Creek is no different than hiking in the Great Basin, the Appalachians, or the Colorado Plateau. Some people think hiking is hiking and boating on Lake Monroe is the same as boating on Lake Powell. Indiana is just mostly flat and what true back-country areas we do have are just small. It sucks that Indiana really doesn't have anything like the Appalachians, the Rockies, Great Basin, or Colorado Plateau. The closest places with the acreage that might come close are the Shawnee National Forest in S. Ill. or the Red River Gorge/Daniel Boone National Forest in E. KY.

We do have some state parks that provide some wilderness experience, but their footprints are small compared to other parts of the country. The most popular parks seem to be Turkey Run, Shades, McCormick's Creek, Spring Mill, Brown County, and Clifty Falls. These places do offer somewhat of a mountain and/or deep woods/forested feel and I think that is why them seem to be the most popular when people ask for outdoor places to visit.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:02 AM

3,081 posts, read 2,420,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Depends on where you are coming from and what you are familiar with.

I moved from northeast TN to Indianapolis, then back to TN when I had a good local offer.

Coming from Denver, Indy to me has lots of nature. Denver is mile after mile of urban sprawl. Being only 20 minutes from a state park here and being able to park my car right next to a beautiful city park instead of half a mile away is terrific.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:08 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,396,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
True back-country areas in the metro area are just minimal at best. To see some people act like it isn't that different from other ares of the country blows my mind. I see this mostly on other forums, people coming from the PNW, S. CA, etc.. They ask about outdoor opportunities and some just try to paint a picture that Indy has everything they have back home. It reads to me that for some people, hiking in Eagle Creek is no different than hiking in the Great Basin, the Appalachians, or the Colorado Plateau. Some people think hiking is hiking and boating on Lake Monroe is the same as boating on Lake Powell. Indiana is just mostly flat and what true back-country areas we do have are just small. It sucks that Indiana really doesn't have anything like the Appalachians, the Rockies, Great Basin, or Colorado Plateau. The closest places with the acreage that might come close are the Shawnee National Forest in S. Ill. or the Red River Gorge/Daniel Boone National Forest in E. KY.

We do have some state parks that provide some wilderness experience, but their footprints are small compared to other parts of the country. The most popular parks seem to be Turkey Run, Shades, McCormick's Creek, Spring Mill, Brown County, and Clifty Falls. These places do offer somewhat of a mountain and/or deep woods/forested feel and I think that is why them seem to be the most popular when people ask for outdoor places to visit.

ummm......you failed to mention America's newest National Park...the Indiana Dunes National Park...but that's not surprising...most folks I meet from Indy/Central Indiana seem generally ignorant of the spectacular nature found in the Dunes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana