Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 06:21 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,759,699 times

Advertisements

Born in raised in Western suburbs of Chicago. At 42 my husband and I were fed up with Illinois and it's corrupt politicians, high taxes and high COL altogether! We moved to NW Indiana almost 2 years ago and can't believe what a difference!

Housing is cheaper
Property taxes, cheaper
Groceries, cheaper
People, friendlier!
Schools, great!

We are only 38 miles away form downtown Chicago, so still plenty to do. We wish we moved here sooner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 01:15 AM

7,040 posts, read 4,923,628 times
What are the winters like in Fort Wayne? Is the cost of heating high? How hot and humid does it get in the summer? Just curious. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-05-2018, 06:21 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,283,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
What are the winters like in Fort Wayne? Is the cost of heating high? How hot and humid does it get in the summer? Just curious. Thanks in advance!
This may be better posted in the Fort Wayne forum, but winters in Fort Wayne are typical midwest winters. Cold with occasional snow. The average high in January is 32 degrees. And it is far enough north to get more snow than Indianapolis, it is out of the lake effect region so it gets less than half of the snowfall South Bend gets. Average is 30-35 inches of snow per year. The cost of heating really depends on if you have electric or gas heat. My experience has been that gas heat is cheaper and works better. Electric heat can be very expensive depending on how cold it gets and how much your furnace has to run.

Summers can have hot and humid days but there are plenty of very pleasant days as well. The average high in July is 84. There are definitely days above 90 with humid conditions. And muggy nights as well though it's rare that the temp doesn't fall at least below 80. And days above 95 are few and far between. The humidity actually helps keep temperatures cooler than the Plains states where it can soar to 100 degrees but the air is drier. 100 is quite rare here.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:19 PM

7,040 posts, read 4,923,628 times
I thought I was in the Fort Wayne section. Some days I shouldn't be allowed out without my keeper.

I'll go through that section and thank you!

Old 02-08-2018, 09:34 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,142,214 times
Lafayette, Indiana is booming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVnj1YZEB6Y

Old 03-10-2018, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 5,811 times
Hello,
I am currently living in Denver and considering Indiana to move there next year. I am originally from Illinois. How are you still liking Indiana?

Old 03-10-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampresent1979 View Post
Hello,
I am currently living in Denver and considering Indiana to move there next year. I am originally from Illinois. How are you still liking Indiana?
I'm not sure who you are directing your question to....I still like living in Indiana. Strong family values. Deep appreciation of history. Nice places to go hiking......(not as good as Colorado....). Low cost of living. Good drivers. Super nice neighbors. Hoosier hospitality is alive and well.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:37 PM

I am partial to my hometown, Lafayette, Indiana. A few days ago, the last scaffolding was removed from the exterior of the beautiful, 19th century courthouse. A friend took a photo of a worker as they were finishing the three years long project of work. His comment:

'A poignant moment last night. After dinner we walked past the courthouse while a team of construction workers were dismantling the scaffolding. It had framed our extraordinary city monument for - what, three years? - while they have been working on the exterior. As the last pieces of scaffolding came down and were loaded onto a truck, several of the workers stopped to hug each other as this long and meaningful project came to a close late on a Friday night. I missed capturing the hugs but I got this fellow as he was overcome with emotion.
I love our town.'

Last edited by popcorn247; 03-10-2018 at 04:05 PM..

Old 06-30-2018, 04:01 PM

A nice video about today's Indiana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uss-NZrkSdg

Old 07-10-2018, 12:33 PM

474 posts, read 472,165 times
I was born and raised in rural central Indiana back in the early 50s but I moved to the Fort Wayne area when I was 26. I moved to southwest Florida 5 years ago. Even though I love the warm Florida winters I miss seeing the corn and bean fields of the Hoosier state. I miss the smell of the hay and all of the friendly people in Fort Wayne too. Also, you can't beat the cost of living in most of Indiana. Even though I will probably die here in South Florida I still consider myself a proud Hoosier. God bless my home state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana