Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 09:24 PM

34 posts, read 120,814 times

Advertisements

O'Rear's original shop is located on N. 9th St. across from St. Boniface church. Their sign is a downtown landmark, seen here (http://tinyurl.com/3boco5 - broken link) on Google maps street view. (Which I should have mentioned earlier. All of Lafayette/WL has been mapped. Scary cool.) I don't remember them ever being in Jefferson Square, but they do make a fantastic doughnut. Between them and Mary Lou doughnut shop (a true hidden treasure in Lafayette), you better never set foot in Krispy Kreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 03:25 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,126,453 times
I KNOW there was an O'Rear's bakery in Jefferson Square. I went there hundred's of times! It was at the far end of the shopping center (away from Teal), but out front, not around the corner. Perhaps the one across from St. Boniface was the original one.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:35 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,126,453 times
I remember Mary Lou donuts.....Yum!

Old 03-23-2008, 10:13 AM

10 posts, read 40,319 times
The paved bike trail system throughout West Lafayette is relatively new and it's actually an uncommonly good amenity. One trail system goes from the northern area of Lake Hadley / Morehouse Road, past WalMart, ponds, woods, and houses, to the west edge of the Purdue campus by the golf course. Another mile-long hilly, wooded trail connects Happy Hollow Park to the north side of town. There are small hiking trail loops in the Purdue Horticulture Park to the west of campus, McCormick Woods on Cherry Lane, the Celery Bog Nature Area north of Lindberg Road, and even in the wooded preserve by the sports complex on North Salisbury. Within slightly over an hour to the south, Turkey Run State Park and Shades State Park have good rocky scenery, extensive trails, and camping. As for the other Thoreau-type spots you wanted to know about, we mostly keep those to ourselves.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:12 PM

3 posts, read 6,219 times
I went on a 2 month internship at Purdue back in the Summer of 2005...and it is quite possibly my favorite place I've visited so far in the USA - very laid back, friendly town (although admittedly it was less populated as it was during the Summer Vacation).

My favorite memories are:

Proposing to my future wife under the July 4th Fireworks Display on Campus

Enjoying a great coffee and good read at the Panera next to the Bookstore (Borders or Barnes and Noble - can't remember which, but it's in the Mall in the town)

My future wife and I seeing our first movies together - War of the Worlds and Batman Begins!

Going over to the Shooting Range and becoming a regular there during my time (I was simply known as "The Brit"!)

Enjoying quiet drives, even just on the highway or around the town, and going for some relaxed drinks at one of the Local Bars.

I really miss it with all of my heart and would do anything to go back...but for now it looks like life will be leading the Wifey&I in other directions.

Last edited by FutureAmerican; 03-23-2008 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: Posted before finishing writing

Old 03-24-2008, 08:44 AM

82 posts, read 486,362 times
Nice memories FutureAmerican. Perhaps you and the wife will keep creating memories like that all across the land... then, as you travel across America in the future, you will always have a place nearby that feels like home. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:53 PM

667 posts, read 2,887,986 times
I grew up in Lafayette and most of the points I was going to make, have already been made.

Happy Hollow
Battle Ground
Fort Ouiatenon
etc.

For good pizza, Arni's is the only answer

However, to answer one of your other questions, I used to canoe all of the time on the Tippi. We would drive up to Monticello and then travel to river junction where the Tippi and the Wabash meet. I would still be doing it if I lived close enough

Old 04-09-2008, 11:19 AM

82 posts, read 486,362 times
Just got back from West Lafayette..... DID NOT try any pizza... Sorry Arni's. I'll try you out when I move there. I DID go to Triple XXX and eat a Purvis Burger (with the Peanut Butter) and it was REALLY good. I DO really love peanut butter, so my opinion is skewed.... but it was really tasty.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 6,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokieed View Post
I (as well as a few other posters) will be moving to West Lafayette in the next few months. I'd like to fully embrace the town and state that my wife and I will soon call home. One way to do that is to get on the fast-track to finding all the great things to do and places to see, is to ask all of you that have been there what your great memories are.... The stuff not in the visitors guide.

For instance: What is the best trail for an afternoon stroll away from traffic? What is the best state park for overnight camping? What is your best memory of a Purdue football game? What hole-in-the-wall resturant do you remember so well for the _______ they serve? Where is the best place to sit and think on the Wabash? Where is the best place to see the stars at night? Where did you ask your spouse to marry you? Or where did you adopt your favorite pet?

Thanks for sharing any thoughts. And if you need info on the Virginia Tech area, I'll be more than happy to give you the low-down.
Elder Son has been accepted into both Purdue and VT for physics PhD. He's in the middle of his masters right now...I told him I'd research the towns for him. What can you tell me about Blacksburg? What's the weather like there? How much WINTER do they have?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 6,267 times
Hokieed...

Elder Son has been accepted at both VT and Purdue for a physics PhD. He's currently working on a terminal MS at Miami of Ohio. He's tired of winter...but won't let the weather dictate his decision...

I told him I'd do a little research for him because I have time and he doesn't.

What can you tell me about the climate/sunshine in Blacksburg? Is the rental market tight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana