Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2023, 06:39 AM

676 posts, read 407,837 times

Advertisements

Of course, if Indiana is famous for anything it is it’s love affair for high school basketball, commonly known locally of course as “Hoosier Hysteria”. However though, is there an equivalent for high school football in any part of the state (much akin say to something like the Massillon-McKinley HS football rivalry in Ohio or Odessa-Midland in Texas for example)?

I wondered because aside from the Indianan passion for basketball, people often forget that the state is also home to Notre Dame, the university with the most beloved and celebrated college football team in the entire country, arguably even more so than Ohio State, Michigan or Alabama.

Last edited by Doughboy1918; 05-18-2023 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 06:59 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Reitz-Mater Dei in Evansville is the most intense football rivalry I know of, though that might be my pro-Evansville bias sneaking in here.

The two schools share a football stadium at Reitz High School. Check that, Reitz has a football stadium that Mater Dei rents for their home games. This means every other year, Mater Dei plays a "home" game at the Reitz Bowl against Reitz. I've seen people get into shouting matches in the stands because Reitz season ticket holders try to sit in their own seats inside their own stadium that belong to Mater Dei season ticket holders for that one game. The same happens when it is the Reitz home game with MD fans. People decorate their yards in the neighborhood around Reitz High School in the week leading up to the game. The west side of Evansville is pretty homogeneous in terms of family lineages, so you have generations of families go after each other and playing against each other year after year. Evansville in general has loved high school football more than high school basketball, even before Peyton Manning came to Indiana and started to somewhat flip the script on that.

I've lived in Indianapolis now for quite some time, there's nothing around here that's quite on the level of Reitz-Mater Dei. Carmel/Center Grove, Ben Davis/Warren Central, these are good rivalries for an assortment of reasons. However, that west side of Evansville dynamic makes Reitz-Mater Dei a little more special.

Old 05-19-2023, 11:27 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
I wondered because aside from the Indianan passion for basketball,
People from Indiana are called Hoosiers.

Old 05-19-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
People from Indiana are called Hoosiers.
I know, I just thought not to use it twice in the same post.

Old 05-23-2023, 03:28 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Reitz-Mater Dei in Evansville is the most intense football rivalry I know of, though that might be my pro-Evansville bias sneaking in here.

The two schools share a football stadium at Reitz High School. Check that, Reitz has a football stadium that Mater Dei rents for their home games. This means every other year, Mater Dei plays a "home" game at the Reitz Bowl against Reitz. I've seen people get into shouting matches in the stands because Reitz season ticket holders try to sit in their own seats inside their own stadium that belong to Mater Dei season ticket holders for that one game. The same happens when it is the Reitz home game with MD fans. People decorate their yards in the neighborhood around Reitz High School in the week leading up to the game. The west side of Evansville is pretty homogeneous in terms of family lineages, so you have generations of families go after each other and playing against each other year after year. Evansville in general has loved high school football more than high school basketball, even before Peyton Manning came to Indiana and started to somewhat flip the script on that.

I've lived in Indianapolis now for quite some time, there's nothing around here that's quite on the level of Reitz-Mater Dei. Carmel/Center Grove, Ben Davis/Warren Central, these are good rivalries for an assortment of reasons. However, that west side of Evansville dynamic makes Reitz-Mater Dei a little more special.
I am from Evansville and agree. Evansville is different from the rest of Indiana in that high school football is #1 over basketball. Especially on the west side. And Reitz Bowl is a pretty great stadium for High School. Its kind of a varsity blues movie mentality. People don't really care about professional sports and aren't passionate about any other sports other than IU basketball or cardinals baseball. People pretend to support the colts and pacers but really don't care that much.

Old 05-24-2023, 01:52 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I am from Evansville and agree. Evansville is different from the rest of Indiana in that high school football is #1 over basketball. Especially on the west side. And Reitz Bowl is a pretty great stadium for High School. Its kind of a varsity blues movie mentality. People don't really care about professional sports and aren't passionate about any other sports other than IU basketball or cardinals baseball. People pretend to support the colts and pacers but really don't care that much.
Sounds kind of like a mini Cincinnati. Cool. Never knew.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Sounds kind of like a mini Cincinnati. Cool. Never knew.
What do you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana