Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:14 PM

6 posts, read 25,438 times

Advertisements

We used to call 16 inch softball "Beerball". While at NIU, we played against the "Townies" in DeKalb.

You stand in the outfield holding a can of suds instead of a mitt. If a ball is hit your way, a 16 inch softball moves so slow you've got plenty of time to set your beer down to catch it. Maybe wave to your girlfriend or call your buddy to pass the time... Catch it bare handed, toss the ball to first base, then pick up your beer & wait for the next fly.

When your can is empty, wave your hand in the air and loudly yell "Beer here!!" The game is interrupted while someone runs out to hand you a beer from the cooler.

Like Gardner34, I was appalled to learn 12 inch was considered "softball" everywhere else but here.

I suppose "22 minutes out to Dempster" is kinda meaningless if you don't know whether 22 minutes is good or bad. Or where Dempster is, for that matter. Let's not even bring up "The Junction" thing...

I've lived here a long time...like the weather report, I don't even notice it unless they say something like "Five car pile up on the Stevenson".

Or during a bad snow..."2 hours & 37 minutes out to 53"....while you are sitting on the outbound Eisenhower with a fully loaded snow plow two cars in front, just as stuck in traffic as you are.

Last edited by Aethernet; 11-05-2007 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 02:39 PM

6 posts, read 25,438 times
Default Oh.....Jewels....or Dominick's?

Since both those stores have been here forever and are the only major grocery chain around since losing A&P 30 years ago....

Jewel & Dominick's have become like the Cubs / Sox thing of shopping. I shop at Jewels (always pronounce the 's'..) because there is one four blocks from me. It's old, as small as a large gas station, and always packed...but it's THERE, been there since the dawn of time...and it's a Jewels..

If somebody tells me they picked up something at Dominick's....blank stare...I never go there!! In fact, that's the enemy, why would I? I know they exist, but I shop at Jewels....always have...Dominick's is far too modern & the aisles are too wide & there's always parking...

Old 11-05-2007, 03:26 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,489,758 times
Dominicks rocks, I wish there were more of them actually. That and Meijer.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:17 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,105,995 times
They opened a Dominick's 3 blocks from my house, , I'd rather walk 3 blocks to the grocery store than 8 blocks to the other grocery store (the Jewel), so there you have it. I shop at Dominick's now. I have no loyalties to either one (although I grew up shopping at Jewel as a kid).

Old 11-05-2007, 04:29 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,564,465 times
My faves:
-You measure distance in minutes.
-Your school classes were canceled because of the cold.
-You end your sentences with an unnecessary proposition. For example: "Where's my coat at?" or If you go to town I wanna go with."
-You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.
-Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.
-You actually understand these jokes and probably will send them to a lot of your friends.

These are so true and are some of my favorites. I still get made fun of from outsiders because I still say " you want to go with?"

My boyfriend from Cali whom loves to point out how coool Cali is with his fish tacos that Chicagoans don't know about, I'd like to ask him if he knows how to play 12 inch softball ...

I have also had to explain to people while living in Vegas that I understand time not distance better.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:48 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,105,995 times
What Chicagoans don't know about fish tacos, I've been eating them for a few years now. They've had them for a long time at places like El Barco.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:00 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times
In Champaign, it is said:

When it doesn't look flat any more, you've lived there too long!

TOO TRUE!

Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,564,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
What Chicagoans don't know about fish tacos, I've been eating them for a few years now. They've had them for a long time at places like El Barco.
Well, that's encouraging. I'll be SURE to let him know of this.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,790 times
Default Yes

I am from Fulton County and do not live in Illinois now---but every Illinoisan has it deep in their bones----this is so true!!

Old 11-09-2007, 08:13 AM

456 posts, read 1,578,978 times
Oh man I recently moved to Denver where the Dominicks is called Safeway. But of course I still call it Dominicks and I get weird stares from everybody! Jewel'S is Albertson's here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois