Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 09:25 AM

117 posts, read 84,087 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on seeing it from far downstate Vienna. Hopefully the weather is nice that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2024, 03:05 PM

49 posts, read 31,696 times
I get to watch it from my back yard.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:02 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftask View Post
I'm planning on seeing it from far downstate Vienna. Hopefully the weather is nice that day.
Not that far from Metropolis. See Superman's shadow.

One thing to watch is how animals react. Maybe dogs/cats will have dinner & a walk time. Birds should head for their perch.

The zoo in Evansville could be a fun spot.

Old 03-06-2024, 06:45 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
I’ll be watching in pope county

Old 03-06-2024, 09:35 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Very excited! I hope someone has the good foresight to dress up like Ancient Egyptians with Apepe chasing Ra.

Old 03-07-2024, 05:52 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Not that far from Metropolis. See Superman's shadow.

One thing to watch is how animals react. Maybe dogs/cats will have dinner & a walk time. Birds should head for their perch.

The zoo in Evansville could be a fun spot.
During the 2014 eclipse the frogs around my pond started bleeting like crazy as the sky darkened and then abruptly stopped as the sun came back out.

Old 03-07-2024, 09:59 AM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
I was looking at the states that will experience a total eclipse and the ones with a partial eclipse. It appears like it starts in Maine (total eclipse state) and runs diagonally from northeast to the southwest down to Texas (the last total eclipse state). New Mexico is to experience a partial eclipse.

The closest to where I'm at is for me to drive to southern Missouri. It would be cool, but hard to justify for only a 4 or 5 minute rush. ALTHOUGH, we won't have another one like this until the year 2044.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/april-8-2024

Old 03-07-2024, 01:21 PM

117 posts, read 84,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I was looking at the states that will experience a total eclipse and the ones with a partial eclipse. It appears like it starts in Maine (total eclipse state) and runs diagonally from northeast to the southwest down to Texas (the last total eclipse state). New Mexico is to experience a partial eclipse.

The closest to where I'm at is for me to drive to southern Missouri. It would be cool, but hard to justify for only a 4 or 5 minute rush. ALTHOUGH, we won't have another one like this until the year 2044.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/april-8-2024
Other way around. It runs from southwest to northeast. I guess technically, for me i'd be about an hour & a half closer to drive to Indianapolis but i've been wanting to check out southern IL for many years anyway.

Old 03-08-2024, 01:13 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
I'm wondering if southern Illinois is going to get some serious tourism dollars from this, both just for this event but also getting some people to visit for the first time and being impressed enough to keep coming. Amtrak should run extra Illini and Saluki services.

Old 03-08-2024, 02:02 PM

49 posts, read 31,696 times
We had a huge influx of people at the last eclipse, and personally, I expect even more people this time. There are any number of eclipse related events around the region, and I think that people will get a different view of Southern Illinois than they may have been led to expect. This is an incredibly beautiful area. Many people found this out during their visit for the eclipse, and even more who came during the pandemic.

If you are planning to come for the eclipse, I highly recommend that if you have not yet done so to make your arrangements NOW. Much of the available lodging has already filled up, and even primitive camping will be hard to find by the time the event comes.

But when you do come, try to arrive a few days early to take advantage of the events and the beauty of the area. And be patient when the eclipse is over. Traffic was bumper-to-bumper, and people took hours for what would otherwise have been short trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois