Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 08:35 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
lol CA and Vermont are not "generally" blue states. they are STAUNCHLY blue states. where have you been?

vice versa with Texas and SD. Staunchly Republican, not generally.

I'm not sure what your point is. I am not promoting one party over the other. I was just looking at the data of GDP and migration and pointing out the trends. You seem to have been offended by these facts.

I'm independent, which allows me to not get drawn into the emotional weeds of either party. Allows me to take a broad and objective view of everything. It's quite liberating intellectually, I think being independent is best to get the most unskewed view.
Your reading comprehension is poor. That is why you don't understand "lol". I am not going to get into the blue vs red state debate because there is no concrete definition of what a blue or red state is. I think most other users understood what I was saying.

Not to mention, it's quite an assumption to think that I was even replying to you directly.

Old 04-13-2023, 08:46 PM

197 posts, read 235,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
vice versa with Texas and SD. Staunchly Republican, not generally.
In Texas in 2020, Pres. Trump got 52% of the vote and Biden got 46%. In 2018, Sen. Cruz got 50.9% and Robert O'Rourke got 48.3%. These are not the results of a deep red state, but a "generally" red state.

In California in 2020, Pres. Trump got 34% of the vote and Biden got 63%. No comparison.

To claim that Texas is "staunchly Republican" is incredibly short-sighted. Texas will be a blue state within the decade and will be no better than Illinois within two. And to all the boomers and GOP voters who don't, can't, or refuse to see that, you're in for a rude awakening.

Looking at migration patterns and thinking "well blue states are losing population" doesn't tell us a full story. Blue states are losing population, and their voters are moving to red states and continuing to vote blue. The result will be continuing losses and growing insignificance of the Republican party and continuing decline in living standards across the country in every state.

It really won't be too long before every state is Illinois (yes, even Florida), so I'm in no hurry to leave.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:42 PM

219 posts, read 135,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caglee View Post
In Texas in 2020, Pres. Trump got 52% of the vote and Biden got 46%. In 2018, Sen. Cruz got 50.9% and Robert O'Rourke got 48.3%. These are not the results of a deep red state, but a "generally" red state.

In California in 2020, Pres. Trump got 34% of the vote and Biden got 63%. No comparison.

To claim that Texas is "staunchly Republican" is incredibly short-sighted. Texas will be a blue state within the decade and will be no better than Illinois within two. And to all the boomers and GOP voters who don't, can't, or refuse to see that, you're in for a rude awakening.

Looking at migration patterns and thinking "well blue states are losing population" doesn't tell us a full story. Blue states are losing population, and their voters are moving to red states and continuing to vote blue. The result will be continuing losses and growing insignificance of the Republican party and continuing decline in living standards across the country in every state.

It really won't be too long before every state is Illinois (yes, even Florida), so I'm in no hurry to leave.
I agree with your assessment of Texas, it's more pink than red. Once it turns blue it's over for Republicans, but I suspect theyll try to eliminate the electoral college at that point. One state that is hardcore red is Oklahoma. I don't see that turning blue anytime in my life.

Old 04-13-2023, 10:34 PM

509 posts, read 780,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Your reading comprehension is poor. That is why you don't understand "lol". I am not going to get into the blue vs red state debate because there is no concrete definition of what a blue or red state is. I think most other users understood what I was saying.

Not to mention, it's quite an assumption to think that I was even replying to you directly.
lol sure buddy. i'm the only one who brought up blue and red states but you weren't replying to me, lol ooookkkaayyyy.

it's fairly straitforward what someone means when they say blue state or red state. just look at map of the last presidential election.

and then there are swing states. do i really need to explain this?

Old 04-13-2023, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caglee View Post

I never compared Texas to CA... so it's a misnomer to say "No comparison"

We're going way off topic... but Texas has voted red every presidential elections since 1980.

I don't know many liberals who are moving there; the people who are moving there are mostly conservative in nature. Why would a liberal who is pro abortion and anti gun move to Texas where they are pro life and pro gun. They would not be happy in TX.

Now could it move blue in the future? sure... I'm not here to claim I know, and you don't know either.

But based on the way America is becoming more polarized it would be more logical for the states of CA and TX to move further into liberal and conservative directions since they are attracting those types of folks respectively.
Lately society has become more polarized as they debate stuff like gender pronouns, trans men in women sports, if it's ok to have drag shows in front of kids, and what kinds of books are ok for school libraries. This is in the wake of the extreme polarization on the pandemic issues like masks and vaccines. I only see society becoming more polarized over time, unfortunately.

Old 04-14-2023, 07:19 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,830,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
That is a bit misleading. The reason hurricanes are more expensive and cost more now is that there is so much more development right on the coasts. Hurricane intensity on average has not changed in the last 150 years however, hurricanes are more devastating when they do hit because more and more people put themselves in harm's way by building expensive properties on or near the coast. The explosion of building on the coasts of FL in the last 30 years is remarkable - but a bit dangerous too.

Insurers have been leaving FL for decades and new ones appear. The main reason is a legal system that encouraged outsized lawsuits to be filed against insurers and aggressive use of AOBs by contractors. The legislature started to address those issues last year and is continuing to close loopholes. Hopefully the insurance environment will improve in the next few years.
That's exactly my point. Look at my previous posts.

Although many sources will also claim that hurricanes on average are indeed becoming more common and more intense. But I don't dare enter the climate change argument online in a thread that is has nothing to do with.

Old 04-14-2023, 07:34 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Tides aren't getting higher and higher. Ian was a very unusual storm because the eye wall normally collapses on itself over and over but that didn't happen due to some unusual circumstances. It was a 1 in 100 year storm.
Yes...they are.

Native Floridian and long time resident here.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rising-...nd-2019-09-25/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...t/11637202002/

Old 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM

537 posts, read 443,275 times
When I graduated college, my first job was in Illinois.

Why are people leaving? Chicago is a dangerous place, and it's not getting better. Needless to say their politics are corrupt and have always been that way. It's also expensive to live in Illinois.

The rest of the state is beautiful--if you're a farmer. To me, it was a terribly boring place to live. Outside of Chicagoland, Illinois doesn't have that much industry to make someone want to live there.

No thank you, Illinois.

Old 04-14-2023, 11:00 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
When I graduated college, my first job was in Illinois.

Why are people leaving? Chicago is a dangerous place, and it's not getting better. Needless to say their politics are corrupt and have always been that way. It's also expensive to live in Illinois.

The rest of the state is beautiful--if you're a farmer. To me, it was a terribly boring place to live. Outside of Chicagoland, Illinois doesn't have that much industry to make someone want to live there.

No thank you, Illinois.
If you dislike Illinois so much, why bother checking the Illinois forum?

Old 04-14-2023, 01:07 PM

Are the prop taxes high in the entire state or just Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois