Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 07:39 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
This summarizes the main problem. A simple medical recommendation has become politicized with internet warriors digging into random articles trying to uncover conflicting information leading to some conspiracy as if vaccines are not safe instead of relying on the credibility of the scientific community to produce an extremely safe vaccine and agreeing to take it. No one has credibility anymore. Everyone has to be an internet conspiracy theorist "doing their own research". Best example is Kyrie Irving...a guy who thinks the Earth may be flat...refusing to take the vaccine and losing tens of millions of dollars....cause he thinks the vaccine will harm his body. Keep doing your research Kyrie...I trust you over these whacky scientists.

All I want is correct information, a much easier task done online 10 years ago.
Now we have people accusing scientists of deception, as though politicians are paying them off in some grand scheme to manipulate the planet.
Yowsa.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:59 AM

1,067 posts, read 916,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
And therein lies the core issue. If all of this nonsense had just remained a recommendation, we would not have such polarization over this issue. People would talk with their doctor and then each individual would decide what to do based on their own circumstances and beliefs. Just like the flu shot and a myriad of other shots and treatments that bubble up from time to time. Talk to your doctor, do your own research, and then decide. And don't limit your research to the US given that the US ranks 40th in life expectancy in the world as of 2019 (probably worse now with Covid) and other countries might just have a better handle on health matters. And then reassess as new information becomes available. As soon as politicians and especially unelected bureaucrats get involved, the discussion drops into the mud. "Government expert" is a very low bar and anything said by a "government expert" needs to be taken with a large grain of salt. That is what causes everyone to research for themselves. Mandates based on experts who are not expert.

The problem is that there is so much crap out there on both sides of the issue, including from US government agencies. When you research both sides of the matter, you can usually cut through the crap and get to where real expert consensus lies. And that consensus is basically "we don't really know for sure right now". BTW, when doing research, do not depend on Google. Use duckduckgo or some other search engine and you would be surprised at the results you find but that are buried on page 8,762 on Google. Google is not an honest broker of information.
I'll have to research duckduckgo before using it as a search engine. Based on my extensive technological and algorithmic experience (i.e. none) I'm able to cross-analyze the results of various search engines (i.e. not really) and it returns search information that is highly concerning to me (i.e. the conspiracy rabbit holes continue). You see similar efforts for everything from vaccines, to climate change, to the shape of the earth, to election results. I don't know how all these independent researchers find the time...

Old 10-28-2021, 03:16 PM

197 posts, read 235,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
All I want is correct information, a much easier task done online 10 years ago.
Now we have people accusing scientists of deception, as though politicians are paying them off in some grand scheme to manipulate the planet.
Yowsa.
How do you think scientists get their funding?

If politicians can be bought through lobbying and PACS, scientists can be bought through funding and grants. It's naive to think otherwise.

Old 10-28-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caglee View Post
How do you think scientists get their funding?

If politicians can be bought through lobbying and PACS, scientists can be bought through funding and grants. It's naive to think otherwise.

I don't think otherwise, and am also aware that billionaires across the globe have increased their portfolios by 1.9 trillion since the beginning of the pandemic.
Covid isn't the only disputed science within their respective communities these days.
Every crises is taken advantage of, but this fact doesn't mean there wasn't a crises to begin with.
Yet it still feels so George Orwell 1984ish...

Old 10-29-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Where did you locate the above info.?

It does not contradict your own link - which says...

though in the vaccinated, these levels rapidly diminish

So - of course infected vaccinated people carry some viral load - maybe the same as unvaccinated - but they carry it for less time. Win.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your point...?

Here's a classic example(seems to contradict the CDC)of what I mean, and if accurate; means only masking slows transmission rates.
And vaccines do nothing more than to protect the jabbed, and therefore; should not be required.

"They found infections in the vaccinated cleared more quickly, but the peak viral load remained similar to the unvaccinated."
https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...ds-2021-10-28/

Old 10-29-2021, 03:07 PM

25,731 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
The unvaccinated are selfish and yes, preventing covid from disappearing and keeping the country from finally fully recovering, Yes, it is their fault, absolutely.
What if they already had Covid, & now have active anti-bodies?

What if they have a medical condition, & their Doctor advised them NOT to get vaccinated?

What if their best friend got vaccinated, & died the next day from it?

What if their best friend got vaccinated, was the victim of a breakthrough case, and died 2 weeks later?

What if their religion prohibits the vaccine?

Old 10-29-2021, 03:54 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
these mandates would make sense if getting the jab prevented you from getting and/or spreading Covid, but the vaccine doesn't do that and practically everyone recovers now....

Old 01-21-2022, 09:07 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I really want people to stop embracing junk science and get the vaccine but I think we are going about it the wrong way. Instead of having the govt yell Obey at them let health insurance companies and medicare charge a huge surcharge like several hundred $$ a month to the unvaccinated.
I like the way you think.

Going unvaccinated certainly is a higher risk. The insurance companies are fully aware that their liability is up with those who are unvaccinated. They have the data.

They should charge according to the risk.

Old 01-21-2022, 02:04 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I like the way you think.

Going unvaccinated certainly is a higher risk. The insurance companies are fully aware that their liability is up with those who are unvaccinated. They have the data.

They should charge according to the risk.
I believe I heard somewhere that the average covid hospitalization costs insurers $20k.

Working in the flavors industry I see the uninformed/misinformed junk science constantly and it makes our jobs harder and food more expensive and less flavorful as a result of all the games we have to play to make the labeling sound attractive (natural, nongmo, no pick a chemical from the list...). Unfortunately we have fought a losing battle against junk science as we have with Covid as we have with companies and HR crap.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:41 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,563 times
Kind of a moot point now since GE has ended its vaccine and testing mandate after the SCOTUS decision blocking the large employer mandate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois