Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 09:51 AM

3,055 posts, read 3,324,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
The real ripoff was I-90 from Chicago to Rockford and the Wisconsin border.

To finance the original construction, it was established as a toll road. When the tolls paid off the construction, it was then to be free.

However, when it was paid off, they changed their minds and continued to collect tolls anyway. The revenue source was too good to pass up.
Same deal on I-80 from Joliet to Gary as you pass thru Lansing. Toll + congestion backs up traffic for miles.

I'm from TN & we don't have ANY toll roads. I'll go out to IL 47 to avoid paying any toll. No tolls from Champaign north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 10:03 AM

4,656 posts, read 3,269,634 times
Good morning,

I have not taken tolls since 2018. And the only reason I used the toll system then, is because my THEN girlfriend presented me with an I-Pass so I could come down to the Bolingbrook area, given it is very difficult to get from Milwaukee to Bolingbrook without using tolls.

But since becoming a free agent, I choose to stay away from that part of Illinois anyway (although I would like to check out Naperville; and I COULD take the back roads if I wanted to road trip!).

I am VERY fortunate that I can take any amount of roads that travel between Wisconsin and Illinois (Highway 83, Highway 45, Highway 21 (from Gurnee), Highway 43 (from Waukegan), Highway 41, Highway 31, AND Highway 32)!!!!

Old 07-28-2021, 10:54 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,063,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Why are IL Tollroads in such poor shape anyway?

1. Funds are diverted to other expenses.
2. Low bidders always are awarded municipal contracts, which is a horrible practice; when you consider they have to use cheap materials in order to get the job. That's why our roads have to be repaved so often, instead of doing it right the first time; they prefer to waste even more $ doing it repeatedly.

Last edited by Sunbiz1; 07-28-2021 at 11:58 AM..

Old 07-28-2021, 10:57 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,923,056 times
actually, the Illinois Road Builders Union, one of the strongest in this state, pretty much dictates the way these shady bids are awarded; they make sure the spec reads so that low quality crap is used, that way, they know they will have to repave roads constantly here, keeping their members working

The state doesnt care about keeping residents happy and safe, they care about Union support and this is a prime example of that..

Old 07-28-2021, 01:19 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,011,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Geeze, after reading this thread I am feeling like TXTag here where I live in Texas treats us very lenient for pay by mail users, or users who go over their allotted balance.

Why are IL Tollroads in such poor shape anyway?
Illinois! It's one of the few places where you get to pay to drive on crappy, pot-hole ridden roads

The reality is Illinois has too many other problems they're using the toll money for hence it not always getting put back into the road conditions.

Old 08-24-2021, 04:12 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
I like the tolls and quick pass...Zoooooom!

Old 08-30-2021, 12:16 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
My wife went from Naperville to Oak Brook, and back - guess what's toll bill we received? $18.80!!

IL is not just the most corrupted state, they now openly run toll scam!

Every time you pass a highway toll, and they removed cash option completely, they charge $3 fee on top of the toll fee, and that's given overall horrible highway conditions.

I found out now I can register my plate online for auto payment to avoid extra fees, but what if I f..g don't want to, cause hackers keep stealing credit card data??

Where do I complain about these f..g crooks? Or they now do anything they like, like a mafia?
Sorry but they don't care about your complaints. They rigged the red light cameras so that they yellow lights were shorter. These are the people you are dealing with. And yes, it's not unlike the mafia.

Old 08-30-2021, 12:18 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Same deal on I-80 from Joliet to Gary as you pass thru Lansing. Toll + congestion backs up traffic for miles.

I'm from TN & we don't have ANY toll roads.
I'll go out to IL 47 to avoid paying any toll. No tolls from Champaign north.
And the roads are much nicer. I remember the last time I took a road trip from Chicago to North Carolina. I remember being struck by how much nicer the roads were once we got out of Illinois.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:30 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,719,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
And the roads are much nicer. I remember the last time I took a road trip from Chicago to North Carolina. I remember being struck by how much nicer the roads were once we got out of Illinois.
Illinois roads are really bad. I hate the tolls because there is no way to avoid them. I live in the Dallas area now and at least here you can avoid the tolls because there is usually another highway or two that goes the same way, just has more traffic.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:18 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,490,601 times
A little off topic, but since many of us travel to/from Tennessee, Georgia, Florida etc. on I-65, watch out for a total scam when you cross the Indiana/Kentucky border. They built a new bridge (JFK Memorial Bridge) which is a $5 toll each way for a one minute ride over the river. Google Maps will take you right over it unless you tell it to avoid tolls. You'll get a bill in the mail from RiveLink.com showing your plates and that you owe them for the toll even though it's not posted as you drive over it. The way to avoid this is to tell google maps to avoid tolls after you hit Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois