Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 06:36 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,469,453 times

Advertisements

Old 10-02-2020, 03:07 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,084,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
What a classic. I remember the original "Lampoon" cover from when, Thanksgiving 1978? Well done, IPI.

My only criticism is that a pistol without rear sights makes the front sight pretty much useless. Which is even funnier because IL is rated as something like the tenth-worst state for gun rights, and one of my main reasons for planning a departure. Lightfoot's next campaign ad should read, "Chicago - very strong gun control, very weak gun-crime enforcement", her constituents would eat that up. Maybe Pritzker figures that if he increases taxes enough, residents won't be able to afford bullets. Or hamburger.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:37 PM

It is just amazing the attitude of arrogance from the Dems to threaten the people either voluntarily vote them more money or they will take it. They just have no clue that they are supposed to be working and serve us the people.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:44 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,084,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It is just amazing the attitude of arrogance from the Dems to threaten the people either voluntarily vote them more money or they will take it. They just have no clue that they are supposed to be working and serve us the people.
You've got to fell at least a little bad regarding their predicament, especially when the effects of Covid are not fully understood yet. I myself have only driven about four thousand miles this year, half of what I expected and only a third of what I did when working. Extrapolated (if similar for most people), really hits fuel taxes tolls, and vehicle sales tax revenue. Not to mention reduced income tax collected om 2020. But the part of Pritzker's threat being "We'll have to cut services 15%" is intriguing, I have to wonder how many people would even notice a fifteen percent cut in services, provided the cuts were concentrated among those services no one is using due to Covid (janitorial for schools, teaching aids, excess number of teachers while online teaching is occurring, etc.) is where I'd start. But I guarantee you that Pritzker and Lightfoot would concentrate on cuts that would hurt the upper and middle class the worst - police, fire, DMV, etc., to "punish" them for not agreeing to new taxes, or to coerce them into asking for new taxes themselves.

But one point that bears repeating is how silly their "Make the billionaires pay their fair share" campaign is. I've read there are only 18 billionaires in Illinois, and I can guarantee you that most of them have taken Pritzker's cue, and have most of their assets tied up in businesses, in Trusts, or in the Caiman Islands. Make no mistake, most of the individuals making more than a quarter million a year, are small business owners. And guess who they will be passing down the additional cost of new taxes to?

Old 10-04-2020, 05:19 PM

1,203 posts, read 622,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Also, Illinois is no slouch in the estate tax bite either.
. You need to have an estate worth at least $4 million to have to worry about that. Most who are in that area have taken measures to avoid it.

Old 10-05-2020, 07:12 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,371,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
. You need to have an estate worth at least $4 million to have to worry about that. Most who are in that area have taken measures to avoid it.

When you add up everything you own, including 401(k)s, IRAs (both kinds), all investments, homes, cars, personal property, life insurance, small business, farm, etc. at fair market value, it is not that hard to get there with inflation and investment returns factored in. I think it would be an eye-opener for many who think they would never hit that threshold if they were to do an estate plan that runs out until they are at least 90 and see when it crosses the threshold, even with an assumption of below average investment returns. And you are right, when people see that they can hit that threshold they plan - but the easiest plan is to leave Illinois for one of the 32 states without an estate or inheritance tax. Remember, the threshold is not indexed for inflation and could be lowered at any time by the legislature. Far better to be in a state that has no estate or inheritance tax at all so that politicians are not tempted to grab hard-earned assets.

Old 12-13-2020, 05:38 PM

3,485 posts, read 3,411,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
No, because...

A) We are in a recession.
B) It did not include any property tax reforms or protection, which in my opinion, are the taxes that are most out-of-line. Actually, our income and sales taxes are the same, or lower than those across the Missouri border. If they had included some constitutional cuts for property tax payers, I would've called it a fair trade and voted yes.
For me, the lack of any reform of the high cost of Illinois pensions in exchange for a graduated income tax was what drove me to vote no last month. Tackle two birds with one stone the next time this amendment is attempted, and I'll vote yes.

But if this is tried a 2nd time without pension reform done in exchange for a graduated tax, then darn right I'll vote no. Illinois state government Democrats, what's so f-ing hard to understand that pension reform should've been done long ago?!? And hopefully Illinois State House Dems do indeed pick a new speaker in 2021, since Madigan should've stepped down long ago.

Old 12-13-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
For me, the lack of any reform of the high cost of Illinois pensions in exchange for a graduated income tax was what drove me to vote no last month. Tackle two birds with one stone the next time this amendment is attempted, and I'll vote yes.

But if this is tried a 2nd time without pension reform done in exchange for a graduated tax, then darn right I'll vote no. Illinois state government Democrats, what's so f-ing hard to understand that pension reform should've been done long ago?!? And hopefully Illinois State House Dems do indeed pick a new speaker in 2021, since Madigan should've stepped down long ago.
I haven't seen any sign from the other Dems that they are willing to stand up to the govt unions and make the necessary reforms. Therefore getting rid of Madigan may be a victory, it is probably just a token one.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:06 PM

997 posts, read 855,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post

Pension reform? Quin passed tier two in 2010-11. Every new hire since then , unless you were Ruiners buddy is getting a 40% haircut from what an existing employee recurves ( very common in most Fortune 500 company’s, mine included).

Old 12-15-2020, 09:19 AM

1,068 posts, read 924,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
Pension reform? Quin passed tier two in 2010-11. Every new hire since then , unless you were Ruiners buddy is getting a 40% haircut from what an existing employee recurves ( very common in most Fortune 500 company’s, mine included).
That doesn't help out the existing pension debt that can't be canceled and continues to grow without pension reform and requires tax dollar funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois