Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 04:16 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,411,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Everyone knew this was going to happen. And very little will be open up this summer. Young people catching this virus and ending up in the hospital. This lockdown will be around for a while so get comfortable.
Yet the three hospitals near me I've driven by several times over the past few months, and the parking lots are all very empty. I've also not heard many ambulances going by.

I don't think this is a hoax or anything like that, but this response is 100% overreach and overblown. I think most are starting to agree, if they haven't already.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:18 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,407,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Stuff can't go on like this forever... especially when many areas of health care are considered "non essential". Psychiatrists, eye doctors, dentists etc.... how on earth are these non-essential, and also, how on earth can these things be closed for longer than 2 months? People need to see, need their teeth fixed, need haircuts, etc. . . these aren't exactly "luxury" businesses/professions....

A re-opening with social distancing + masks for close contact professions makes sense.... but you can't just keep things closed completely this long. I feel like more and more people will start joining these protests going on the longer this goes on, and who knows, maybe even civil unrest.

So true... I'm just worried about how much longer they might extend this... They keep pushing the date back further and further with no end in sight. I really thought a week ago that there was a chance some businesses in Illinois could open up in May. I don't think I'll have that hope again.. It just isn't fair for them to continue doing this to people..

Old 04-23-2020, 04:24 PM

1,068 posts, read 918,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Sweden has been on a voluntary-only lockdown since this crisis began and its per capita death rate is 9 times that of next door Finland and more than double that of adjacent Denmark. It's also higher than the United States'. Is that what we want for our state—our country?
Less than 100 people aged 0-50 in Illinois have died of covid. The mortality rate for this age range in Illinois and worldwide is waaaaay less than 1%. Allowing those aged 0-50 to work and support the economy while the elderly shelter in place makes the most sense. We'll all have herd immunity in a matter of months just like Sweden who's only mistake was to not shelter the elderly. We can not shelter our way out of this for 18-24 months waiting for a vaccine. The economy is literally at 20% unemployment and a month or two from collapse which will result in way more deaths than covid.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:25 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,558,583 times
Quote:
Stuff can't go on like this forever... especially when many areas of health care are considered "non essential". Psychiatrists, eye doctors, dentists etc.... how on earth are these non-essential, and also, how on earth can these things be closed for longer than 2 months?
All of those professions/specialties are considered essential by the state. Your psychiatrists are still seeing patients, sometimes just via phone consultation. Dentists' offices are still open, most have simply chosen not do cleanings because of the unnecessary risk.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:28 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,558,583 times
Quote:
If we're going down in deaths (because apparently peak week was what, 2 weeks ago?), why are even stricter measures and prolonged lockdowns necessary?
Illinois HAS NOT hit its peak according to the authorities.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:34 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,059,290 times
This is what we get for electing those two little lawn gnomes. No idea what they're doing but want to dictate how everybody should live but them.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:49 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,881,674 times
dtcbn - it has been known to be less than 1 percent for a lonnnnnng time now - the actions are based on 1% - not higher.
But I'm glad you consider 50 and above elderly. Sheesh. Who do you think owns and operates most businesses you want to return to working for? Who do you think ain't gonna be there to unlock the door?
That's right. It takes a village. When the "old people" gotta stay at home - most folks STILL won't be going back to work. There is no herd immunity in Sweden, or anywhere else - it's not a "thing" yet - as in, zero science that supports it. It's a good thing to hope for - no proof yet.
Meantime - those same "old" folks are the ones that spend their money and make the world go around.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:56 PM

1,068 posts, read 918,813 times
It does take a village. And those 50+ can help out by sheltering at home. Or they can return to work if they want and still have a 95+% chance of survival. Why force everyone to be at home when the point is to stop this spreading to the elderly?

Old 04-23-2020, 04:58 PM

213 posts, read 166,438 times
I guarantee June 1st isn’t going to happen. There will be at least two more weeks added late May.
Have your hopes for June 15th or July 1st

Old 04-23-2020, 05:19 PM

4,656 posts, read 3,269,634 times
Today I was sadly reminded when I looked online of the events I always went to with my children at various Chicago parks, Chicago libraries, and Chicago street fests, and to see them listed as Cancelled or Subject To Change.
Last year was actually a bit cold and rainy for the 24th and Oakley Festa Pasta Vino, for Father's Day weekend, and I HOPE I can make that one!!
Here in Milwaukee they cancelled all our ethnic Summerfest fests going into AUGUST!! Our Irish Fest was the most recently cancelled.
As of right now, I'm employed in the Jail. My Taekwondo teaching job is on hold. So I too, feel let down both socially and economically.... Me and my children are in good health and are practicing the social distance and other safety practices.
Believe me, my heart goes out to those that have been ill or, unfortunately, passed as a result of this worldly illness.
I am SO stuck! We have a potentially lethal virus. And at the same time, we have people that need to work. The economy, and life, must go on.
Can't we strike a BALANCE? Open businesses. Have limits of people to allow social distancing, if they are choosing to go out. For those who feel they want to/need to stay away, then of course they may do so.... safety is very important. But so is the continuation of people's lives and businesses. I believe we CAN continue as we were prior to the virus, but with limitations of population, for awhile.
I mean no disrespect to those who have suffered. I am trying to think the best, for everybody.
Stay safe. Stay happy. Stay healthy, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois