Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 10:25 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,411,912 times

Advertisements

Wow, just...wow.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...onavirus-rally

Old 05-02-2020, 11:47 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,927,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
No, just go ahead and spread it to other people. This thing is dangerous. It is not all about you, its about others you can spread the virus to and the damage to those individuals and the healthcare workers in the hospitals. You should be attacked, as you were, for being ignorant, careless and self-centered. The media is reporting the deaths and infections as an important fact.
Excellent post--I agree completely.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:29 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,182,519 times
Some people I know in Lagrange Park told me that the Village Field Club there has its usual gathering of people like normal and nobody is wearing masks and they are as close together as can be. So if they dont have to follow the rules then why should anyone else?

Old 05-02-2020, 03:29 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
If you or your family become one of the 1%, my guess it would go up a bit on your list of priorities. Part of the problem is, although it does primarily kill those with weakened immune systems (the elderly, diabetics, the obese, etc.) it also appears to kill in a "random" fashion otherwise healthy people and children - we really don't know enough about this disease to make truly informed decisions about it.

As was said in an above post, 1% of the U.S. population is over three million people, which is simply an unacceptable loss if reasonably preventable. The bigger problem was, with a hospitalization rate of 20%, you would have had over sixty million people requiring hospitalization within a very short window had this disease been allowed to flow unchecked through the population. There is NO WAY the country could have coped with this, and the death rate would have climbed from your 1% number (although I believe that number is high by two or three times), to over ten percent of the population, with people dying on the streets, in hospital parking lots, in their homes, etc.. What happened in NYC would have occurred in the entire population by a number of magnitude greater, and there would have been additional untold deaths from food shortages, murders, riots, etc..

However, even with all that in mind, I tend to agree with you that we need to start opening up the country, but in a very deliberate manner, and unfortunately, wearing masks and social distancing is going to be fundamental to that process. Where I completely agree with you, is that some folks are saying that "ANY" deaths are unacceptable. Which is nonsense, considering almost a half million Americans die each year of smoking, fifty thousand die in automobile accidents, etc. - there HAS to be an expectation that "preventable" deaths will occur each year, and the "cure" for that cannot be that we wrap ourselves in bubble wrap and never leave our homes (I have to wonder how many people die in bubble-wrap factory accidents each year?).

The larger sociological consequences of pronouncing "no more deaths!" is an especially scary thing when you consider how many soldiers were killed during the island hopping campaign of WWII. I do not think the country could mount, let alone win, a war against a modern enemy today. Is the only thing keeping us from being invaded and taken over our nuclear threat? Something to consider.
This is what scares people, and they don't like to mention or think about. They sweep this under the rug, and suppress this because it's scary to think about. It points exactly to your point that we don't really know much about this virus. Granted it has affected mostly the elderly and immunocompromised (those with other chronic conditions). But the random healthy adults and children with no previous conditions that it has infected and killed is a mystery. It's something people don't like to mention or think about, but something that needs to be understood before completely "going back to normal."

Old 05-02-2020, 03:37 PM

44,370 posts, read 20,076,303 times
People, you were warned before that if this thread [again] devolved into off-topic discussions, including discussions about COVID-19 in general, the thread would be closed. There are way too many off-topic posts here, as well as rude posts and personal attacks. I've deleted some, but I'm not going to spend hours cleaning up the thread for a second time. The thread is now closed.

Please take your general information and opinions about the pandemic to the relevant thread(s) in Current Events and P&OC.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois