Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 10:37 AM

15 posts, read 21,692 times

Advertisements

I know this sounds crazy!

But I am considering leaving TN.

My wife has a great job. She works remotely.
I own a business here that I could run remotely with the right tweaks.

We moved to Franklin (south of Nashville) in 2012

It has grown a lot, and I really love the area. Although housing is expensive.

We now have 3 children. 6, 2 and 0 (on the way).

My wife doesn’t, but I miss our families and the support we have there.

We both have good relationships with our families.

The area we would move back to is extremely depressed. The economy is horrific. It is 2 hours from STL and 4 hours from Nashville. It is Southern Illinois.

I could never live in southern Illinois in town. But my parents have 40 acres, a beautiful home, dirt bikes, four wheelers, etc.

My wife’s parents have about 30 acres, with the same set up.

I just imaging what life could be like if the boys could spend time on weeknights enjoying all of that. Instead of experiencing the high pace (to me) suburban lifestyle that comes with being in one of the most affluent areas in the US.

HERE is the catch. My wife’s father has offered my a great deal. He wants to retire and build a smaller house. I could purchase 15 acres and the home for what he needs for the smaller place. It would only cost me about 125-150. It does need another 50k in work. Needs remodeled, and needs some outdoor living built!

Essentially, I have enough in the bank to move there, be debt free. We plan to home school each child after 5th grade.

My wife does not like the idea of moving back. But has somewhat warmed up to it. She went from “HELL NO” to “I don’t think I can do it” what is funny is she hated living here in Nashville up until about 3 years ago.

Southern Illinois has some great amenities. I wouldn’t even considering the move if not for the home deal.
I do like the area. There’s tons of fishing, hunting, minor league base ball. No crowds, no traffic, slower pace.

My sons could travel back to Nashville with me for work once or twice a month to get “exposure”

What do you think? Family has just become more important to me over the years. My wife and I combined may make around 150k. in TN, that is about average, maybe a tad below. In soIL - it is top tier earning.

Last edited by 205mx; 10-02-2019 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 12:18 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
Arguably, there are ‘less hectic’ places outside of Nashville that could perhaps split the difference. I don’t frankly see the draw of southern IL, especially when you factor in your income could work nearly anywhere else. Why the focus on home schooling- is it a religious factor? I am curious.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:14 PM

The draw is family,
We have family around southern Illinois. Wonderful parents and grandparents. My children could be learning a lot from them.

We won’t to homeschool for customization and tailoring.

My little brother was home schooled. Finished high school work at 16. With a more well rounded and exposed level of different studies so he could truly say “I like this type of work”

It has more to do with being around family support and all the property and life that comes with that. Instead of being crammed in to suburbia with no family around.

Or as you put it- move out of Nashville little further. Then I’m in no-where-ville but have no family around.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:32 PM

125 posts, read 149,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
Or as you put it- move out of Nashville little further. Then I’m in no-where-ville but have no family around.
Rural Tennessee might as well be Mississippi or Arkansas.

My brother just moved to the Champaign area from Nashville and hasn't had any regrets so far. He enjoys the slower pace of life and he says it's way less hectic. I asked him about the property taxes and while it is $1,500 more a year he probably makes up for that by not sitting in traffic 60-70 min a day and being home with his kids. He said the price of gas is also cheaper than Franklin and general fun activities (bowling, golf, ice cream) cost less when he takes his kids.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomandjerry45 View Post
Rural Tennessee might as well be Mississippi or Arkansas.

My brother just moved to the Champaign area from Nashville and hasn't had any regrets so far. He enjoys the slower pace of life and he says it's way less hectic. I asked him about the property taxes and while it is $1,500 more a year he probably makes up for that by not sitting in traffic 60-70 min a day and being home with his kids. He said the price of gas is also cheaper than Franklin and general fun activities (bowling, golf, ice cream) cost less when he takes his kids.
Right. It’s expensive in Nashville. However it is nice. I describe SoIL as extremely depressed. But it’s like any micropolitan area. It’s depressed if you compare it to Nashville.... as are lots of places.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:07 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
Quote:
The draw is family,
We have family around southern Illinois. Wonderful parents and grandparents. My children could be learning a lot from them.

We won’t to homeschool for customization and tailoring.

My little brother was home schooled. Finished high school work at 16. With a more well rounded and exposed level of different studies so he could truly say “I like this type of work”

It has more to do with being around family support and all the property and life that comes with that. Instead of being crammed in to suburbia with no family around.

I definitely understand the family part, but it would still be a tough sell for a lot of people.

The home school decision still fascinates me wildly. Were the public schools really that bad in your area that it was necessary? I guess I would like to hear more about what ‘customization and tailoring’ consisted of. Did your brother attend college at 17 or did he do something else, continuing with university level work later on(?)

Old 10-02-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
I definitely understand the family part, but it would still be a tough sell for a lot of people.

The home school decision still fascinates me wildly. Were the public schools really that bad in your area that it was necessary? I guess I would like to hear more about what ‘customization and tailoring’ consisted of. Did your brother attend college at 17 or did he do something else, continuing with university level work later on(?)
Not sure. He went to college. He’s in a masters program now in Alabama.

It’s a tough sell, yep. But truthfully, we have routes there. Know the roads like the back out hands, etc.

Strange, difficult choices.

My business partner says to buy both places. Ha.

A comparable home here to what I would be getting for $150k is about 700k where I live.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
A comparable home here to what I would be getting for $150k is about 700k where I live.
That's what my brother says too. He was able to upgrade coming from Tennessee to Central Illinois and pay a whole lot less for a house. I think many advantages exist in that area of the country now that didn't exist 5-10 years ago. In fact, I think the Nashville area is much more expensive than Cent. IL from what I hear.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
. I describe SoIL as extremely depressed.
It's sparsely populated in some areas but plenty of rural areas in TN are much poorer, well...unless you're in Cairo.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomandjerry45 View Post
That's what my brother says too. He was able to upgrade coming from Tennessee to Central Illinois and pay a whole lot less for a house. I think many advantages exist in that area of the country now that didn't exist 5-10 years ago. In fact, I think the Nashville area is much more expensive than Cent. IL from what I hear.
Being able to work remotely changed a lot of things.
Also, Marion, IL has developed a lot. It is quite nice. They have a minor league team, plenty of shopping and other things going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois