Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 09:14 AM

451 posts, read 365,705 times

Advertisements

Just keep in mind that Carbondale is on some hard times right now. The University is the life blood of the community and its enrollment is in free fall which means there is less money to hire new faculty which were what kept Carbondale interesting and not just another conservative small town like all those that surround it.

Unfortunately, there aren't any signs that the enrollment trend is going to turn around. All the rural campuses in IL more than a couple hours from Chicago are struggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 11:10 AM

125 posts, read 149,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Unfortunately, there aren't any signs that the enrollment trend is going to turn around. All the rural campuses in IL more than a couple hours from Chicago are struggling.
I had to look this up and found that not to be the case for several schools in Illinois for 2019. University of Illinois saw a record enrollment and Eastern Illinois University saw an increase and so did Illinois State University.

It is true Southern Illinois Carbondale, Western Illinois, Northern Illinois, Chicago State and also now SIU Edwardsville are having enrollment troubles.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...uma-story.html

Last edited by Tomandjerry45; 10-03-2019 at 12:25 PM..

Old 10-03-2019, 01:54 PM

451 posts, read 365,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomandjerry45 View Post
I had to look this up and found that not to be the case for several schools in Illinois for 2019. University of Illinois saw a record enrollment and Eastern Illinois University saw an increase and so did Illinois State University.

It is true Southern Illinois Carbondale, Western Illinois, Northern Illinois, Chicago State and also now SIU Edwardsville are having enrollment troubles.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...uma-story.html
It is an undeniable fact that the Large Public Universities in Illinois struggling most with enrollment are the ones furthest from Chicago. Excepting SIUE because its draws from StL. EIU had a nice bump but they are still. Wester, Eastern and Southern are all at less than 50% of their alltime highs.

Old 10-03-2019, 03:41 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
What do you think? Family has just become more important to me over the years. My wife and I combined may make around 150k. in TN, that is about average, maybe a tad below. In soIL - it is top tier earning.
The question really is:

Would you rather keep up with your family, or with the Joneses?

Old 10-03-2019, 03:46 PM

125 posts, read 149,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
It is an undeniable fact that the Large Public Universities in Illinois struggling most with enrollment are the ones furthest from Chicago. Excepting SIUE because its draws from StL. EIU had a nice bump but they are still. Wester, Eastern and Southern are all at less than 50% of their alltime highs.
I don't have a dog in this fight but your theory doesn't hold up. Explain the case of Chicago State or Northern Illinois University? Chicago State has been hit the worst and nearly shut down according to another article.

The healthiest public university is that of Urbana-Champaign, which is pretty far from Chicago and has a high out of state and international population.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:46 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,256,232 times
The OP definitely has flexibility if the business can be run remotely.

OTOH, what the kids will need/want will likely differ as they get older. I see plunking money in a depressed location as risky vs staying closer to Nashville, which is vibrant. A home won’t appreciate near Carbondale like it would for certain in Franklin. My understanding is that they have been putting more money into schools by Franklin, so there’s some value in that (taxes there are still incredibly modest).

With family time the priority though, I see his cross-posting as a wasted effort.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:07 AM

15 posts, read 21,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
Being able to work remotely changed a lot of things.
Also, Marion, IL has developed a lot. It is quite nice. They have a minor league team, plenty of shopping and other things going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
The OP definitely has flexibility if the business can be run remotely.

OTOH, what the kids will need/want will likely differ as they get older. I see plunking money in a depressed location as risky vs staying closer to Nashville, which is vibrant. A home won’t appreciate near Carbondale like it would for certain in Franklin. My understanding is that they have been putting more money into schools by Franklin, so there’s some value in that (taxes there are still incredibly modest).

With family time the priority though, I see his cross-posting as a wasted effort.
This is very true!
The home won’t appreciate as fast (although I’m picking instant equity). Also, it wouldn’t sell as fast if I ever want to sell. In Nashville it’s unlikely for a home to sit on the market longer than 90 days.

I dont want the kids raised in the rush-rush-rush mindset that they are in right now. Things don’t move as fast as living in the city, but they do move fast!

Also, while buying in SoIL is risky because of re-sale. It’s also less risky because we would pay cash for our forever home. There’s not much risk when you have zero debt. If my business some how tanked, wife lost a job or something of that nature we would still have our home and a lifestyle with just a few BS jobs.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:28 PM

42 posts, read 86,121 times
You can’t beat having family around. I don’t have any where I live and it gets old. We go home when we can but family is everything

Old 12-09-2019, 07:57 PM

15 posts, read 21,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerscotty View Post
You can’t beat having family around. I don’t have any where I live and it gets old. We go home when we can but family is everything
Yep. I should PM you. My little brother is a SoIL native and lives in Hendersonville. I live in Brentwood (technically )

Old 12-28-2019, 02:07 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
It sounds like you’re in a unique situation that’s a lot more than just which area is better overall. If you, your spouse, and kids have a great relationship with your family, then this sounds like a rare opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois