Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 06:44 PM

213 posts, read 166,153 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think?, Let’s discuss:

Gov. Pritzker budget to boost education, use marijuana money, freeze income tax

In his first budget address, Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker plans to pitch an “austere” spending blueprint with no increase in the state income tax rate, a bump in education funding and new revenue from business licenses he hopes the state will create to sell recreational marijuana.

Pritzker told the Chicago Sun-Times he will also push for taxes on e-cigarettes and vaping, and for the legalization of sports betting to help bring in more money for state government.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/cannabi...etting-vaping/

Personally, I’m all for it. Seems like a win-win
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 06:49 PM

My apologies, I mispelled Pritzker on thread title

typing from my phone...

Old 02-16-2019, 10:16 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Can't stand the guy, but I wish him the best.

I'm all for MJ legalization and sports betting. When does it begin? Until then I remain a skeptic, but unlike Trump haters, if he delivers I will applaud!

Old 02-17-2019, 03:21 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Sounds good to me.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:10 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
This IL proposal reminds me of news recently about how CA has not generated the tax revenue from rec MJ it thought it would. Apparently CA's tax on rec MJ is quite high and there are lots and lots of hoops to jump through to become a grower, etc. When legal weed is taxed high, the black market will predominate.

I'm not that educated on the subject, but I'd say to IL, don't follow the CA model--copy the Colorado model.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:30 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
Keep track of all the money that actually goes from weed sales to education. I could give you the answer now but why ruin the surprise ?

Old 02-17-2019, 09:37 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Keep track of all the money that actually goes from weed sales to education. I could give you the answer now but why ruin the surprise ?

It will, to the over 11,700 retired educators collecting six figure pensions.
Many of which are from poor performing districts.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:57 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
It will, to the over 11,700 retired educators collecting six figure pensions.
Many of which are from poor performing districts.

Give this person a prize, you are 100 % correct ! (But only a small percentage, the rest will be for pet projects).

Old 02-17-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Can't stand the guy, but I wish him the best.

I'm all for MJ legalization and sports betting. When does it begin? Until then I remain a skeptic, but unlike Trump haters, if he delivers I will applaud!
from article, to pass the law before July 1st 2019

"The governor’s office said the state could gain revenue from marijuana business licenses within the upcoming 2019-2020 fiscal year should a legalization bill pass during the spring legislative session. The fiscal year begins July 1 and runs through June 30, 2020."

I really don't understand why people are bitching about!

Is a smart move, since Michigan legalized weed. What not to like, gain some revenue and at the same time freeze income taxes.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:46 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di3s3l_Pow3r View Post
What do you guys think?, Let’s discuss:

Gov. Pritzker budget to boost education, use marijuana money, freeze income tax

In his first budget address, Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker plans to pitch an “austere” spending blueprint with no increase in the state income tax rate, a bump in education funding and new revenue from business licenses he hopes the state will create to sell recreational marijuana.

Pritzker told the Chicago Sun-Times he will also push for taxes on e-cigarettes and vaping, and for the legalization of sports betting to help bring in more money for state government.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/cannabi...etting-vaping/

Personally, I’m all for it. Seems like a win-win
Get poor people hooked and tax them on their way to death. It's the Democratic way...

Meanwhile, the schools will all still be 'underfunded.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois