Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 11:49 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,924,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Again, advise from an Illinois hater in Arizona who secretly must love Illinois or else he wouldn't keep his big nose into the state's business on this forum.

Are you a moderator or a member of the thread police?

Chicago had a record 58 million tourists last year and has twice as many people as Colorado, plus the adjoining states of Indiana and Wisconsin which are so red they will never legalize weed and will receive traffic from those states. I think Illinois finances are about to take a turn for the better. Any improvement in the liability is an improvement.

Wisconsin Governor just proposed legalazation yesterday, so you need to be more attuned to current events

In defending Dave from Smegmatite who called him strange, anyone with your screen name is extremely strange; just look up the definition of smegma and be repulsed...…...
Tourist are a completely different entity than residents are, so whats your point?

Tourism hasnt kept Chicago/Illinois from digging them selves a financial sink hole from which there is no escape..

And, I dont secretly love Illinois, I have fond memories of my life in Chicago, but, hey, when you are flinging personal insults like you are, I guess that doesnt matter..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 12:18 PM

403 posts, read 930,794 times
So much hatred and angst! What would attract people to Illinois?? Well, coming from outside it was certainly CHICAGO for me. It's undoubtedly one of the only "real" urban cities in the US, and truly one of the best cities in the world. Arizona doesn't have that, Colorado doesn't have that, and in the US most ANYWHERE doesn't have that. That and it's top 10 global GDP of 525 Billion counts for a lot. I came from Raleigh, which the media will tell you is the land of milk and honey----far from perfect or true though. My life got better the very second I moved here.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:43 PM

629 posts, read 545,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Again, advice from an Illinois hater in Arizona who secretly must love Illinois or else he wouldn't keep commenting on the state's business on this forum.

Chicago had a record 58 million tourists last year and has twice as many people as Colorado, plus the adjoining states of Indiana and Wisconsin which are so red they will never legalize weed and will receive traffic from those states. I think Illinois finances are about to take a turn for the better. Any improvement in the liability is an improvement.

In defending Dave from Smegmatite who called him strange, anyone with your screen name is extremely strange; just look up the definition of smegma and be repulsed...…...
come on, do you really believe that 58 million number?

only 3% of that supposed number is international tourists

seems quite a bit inflated to me

by comparison New york city (much MUCH larger) only had 61 million tourists however 13 million of them were international...

Old 02-19-2019, 01:58 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,924,955 times
it must be true if it was posted on the internet..

you are right; that is an imaginary number, especially if NYC had 61 million...even that sounds pretty inflated..

Old 02-19-2019, 03:30 PM

629 posts, read 545,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
it must be true if it was posted on the internet..

you are right; that is an imaginary number, especially if NYC had 61 million...even that sounds pretty inflated..

I mean I know most people don't fly but O'Hare "handles" 80 million people a year, and most of those are connections and people coming and leaving and never setting foot in Chicago

nearly 60 million "tourists" in Chicago of all places just seems like a ridiculously fake number

Old 02-19-2019, 03:41 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,052,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di3s3l_Pow3r View Post
For the past few years there was a trend for people to move to states where weed was legal aka. Colorado, Oregon, Washington, etc.

People pretty much went on full band wagon mode....one after another

One fact: Trends change over time

One advantage of Chicago metro over Denver metro is cost of living;
- cheaper houses (can easily find a home under $300K, not so much about Denver)
- better schools
- more jobs with better pay
- world class downtown
- access to water, beach
- no natural threats (fires, shortage of water, etc.)

Yet more people are coming to Chicago than Denver, according to Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.866a2f061cf1

Don't get me wrong, I love Colorado for it's natural beauty and world class ski resorts
According to your Wash Post article, the data uses "intra" metro moves (like moving from Niles to Des Plaines) as well as moves coming from other metro areas. So, This ranking is meaningless.

Sad fact is, metro Chicago population is declining--Denver's is not.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:03 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,251,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
you're a strange dude Dave I'll give you that... shilling for a state you don't even live in... very bizarre
Better then mocking and trashing it in rants from another state. I noted a few times I lived in Chicago 6+years. But late 70s early 80s. I endeared to it ever since as my second hometown. To this day ... on my visits I feel very HOME too. I see nothing stupid in that. Other things yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
come on, do you really believe that 58 million number?

only 3% of that supposed number is international tourists

seems quite a bit inflated to me

by comparison New york city (much MUCH larger) only had 61 million tourists however 13 million of them were international...
I'd expect you to say its inflated. Still growth of 4.4% in domestic visitors and an increase of 2.9% in overseas visitors is nice and continues UP.
OMG you clearly know that mighty NYC is THE TOP CITY WITH LONDON IN THE WORLD. Honestly. The Coasts East and West, with LA and California dreaming in the world and Hollywood. Get most International visitors as NOTHING NEW. After all Chicago is in the Midwest and not mighty California or Global top city of NYC. Miami does well from South America especially with Miami Beach next door.

Atlanta is a huge connector Airport especially. But hub of the Southeast as Chicago is for the Midwest. A International destined Midwesterner.... say from Iowa? Is probably going to use O'Hare or connection there or the East or West coast. That's because their airports do not have the flights.

www.nbcchicago.com/traffic/transit/ohare...

O’Hare International Airport saw the largest growth in traffic last year among the 10 busiest airports in the United States, according to figures released.

It's not merely the Mayor's offices calculating these numbers. A federal Agency called the FAA is and others. The FAA is who bestows the titles and one O'Hare won bank from Atlanta.

O'Hare's getting a 6th runway for 2020 and reconfiguring current ones. Then the Big 8.5 billion overhaul and expansion is next and a "Global International Hub" that only a handful of cites in the world have currently. Like Dubai, Hong Kong and Tokyo.

Surely you read links on the plans and 5-renderings to have one Architectural firm chosen next.

This one even Curbed Chicago gave a separate mention of I think it won a public voting poll too? Not sure.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/2/8/...airport-design

Its the Grandest plan of the 5 .....
From link:
- It goes beyond the scope of its peers, it envisions not only the "new global terminal" as requested by city officials, but an option to transform more of the airport—most notably the space east of the airport’s access road currently occupied by the Hilton Hotel and parking garages. Here, the existing wall-like structures would be replaced by a centrally located landscaped esplanade lined with new offices, hotels, and conference centers.

Dubbed the O'Hare Global Terminal,the addition will add a staggering 2.25 million square feet to the airport, which would make the terminal one of the largest in the country.

expanding Terminal 5 by 25 percent, adding nine gates.
later, an entrance and facility on the western side of the airport with connections to other terminals plus security and baggage check-in will be built.

Overall, 35 new gates could be added to the airfield.
But won't open till 2028. So won't come quick.

The 5-renderings shown

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/news...erminal-011719

Also the new Northeast Cargo Facility at Chicago O'Hare Airport, has helped ORD become of one of the country's busiest global ports of entry. Swissport’s 138,000-square-foot facility features an automated material handling system also So ITS NOT ALL PASSENGERS passing thru.

Cargo thru Chicago helped the city boom in the first place and O'Hare does too, as part history and location.

A link on O'Hare's title win.

Chicago O'Hare named busiest airport in US

From link:
- O’Hare handled over 83.4 million passengers in 2018, representing a steady 4.5 percent increase over 2017 and the larges increase since 2015.
- Midway served over 22 million passengers, one of its highest volume years to date.
- record passenger volumes include a more than 10 percent increase in international traffic fueled largely by O’Hare.
- with nearly 50 new domestic and international destinations added in 2018 at O’Hare and Midway combined.

Air cargo flown through Chicago also reached a new high again in 2018, with approximately 1.87 metric tons handled at O’Hare.

Air traffic numbers follow O’Hare being named best connected airport in the nation for three years running, and the second-most connected in the world after London-Heathrow in 2018

Last edited by DavePa; 02-19-2019 at 06:20 PM..

Old 02-19-2019, 06:11 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,251,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Tourist are a completely different entity than residents are, so whats your point?

Tourism hasnt kept Chicago/Illinois from digging them selves a financial sink hole from which there is no escape..

And, I dont secretly love Illinois, I have fond memories of my life in Chicago, but, hey, when you are flinging personal insults like you are, I guess that doesnt matter..
Tourism helps a city in MANY WAYS. The Hospitality industry, retail stores they then shop in and the dining establishments. EVERY CITY DESIRES IT. Chicago DID WIN HERE.

Maybe New Yorkers rather less. But that's their issue for gripe. Chicago's conventions at 60 this year, brings on 3-million. THEY SPEND $$$ that keeps downtown buzzing and its vibrancy increasing. DOES THAT BOTHER YOU? To see something the city wins at .....

It's forever putting down the State and major city ..... in every post. But thanks for telling us you --- have no secret love for the state you lived, for most of your life. But ... YOU MOVED ON and HAVE SOOOOO MUCH BAGGAGE. If happy in AZ. Boast it as home. Let you past resentment go a bit at least. Maybe you have a tiny bit of luv for Chicago yet besides fond memories .... or is defending it vs Houston fake?

*** Also the RED sentences you added to a quote .... is not allowed as RED is to be used ONLY by Mods. I've seen others told that. But the way we are all off-topic.... who knows what might happen.

Last edited by DavePa; 02-19-2019 at 06:43 PM..

Old 02-19-2019, 08:14 PM

213 posts, read 166,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
According to your Wash Post article, the data uses "intra" metro moves (like moving from Niles to Des Plaines) as well as moves coming from other metro areas. So, This ranking is meaningless.

Sad fact is, metro Chicago population is declining--Denver's is not.
Trends are changing; one positive aspect of Chicago metro is the housing sector is not overappreciated.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:36 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,444,639 times
For obvious reason. The bad government and high property taxes is a major drag on the real estate market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois