Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 06:15 AM

426 posts, read 335,615 times

Advertisements

New census data about Illinois was alarming. Not only has the flight of citizens continued for a fifth straight year but the population loss is intensifying. This year’s estimated net reduction of 45,116 residents is the worst of these five losing years. Every time a worker departs, the tax burden on those of us who remain grows.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...219-story.html

Old 12-21-2018, 06:26 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,255,371 times
These threads remind me of so many started by just a couple staunch Trump supporters in the Political forums..... a constant similar stream of same things. A agenda that they need to win. Like Illinois is the worst state and the others losing population are less relevant like NY state despite mighty NYC gains .....

A new link .... a new thread day.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:39 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,506,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manterro View Post
New census data about Illinois was alarming. Not only has the flight of citizens continued for a fifth straight year but the population loss is intensifying. This year’s estimated net reduction of 45,116 residents is the worst of these five losing years. Every time a worker departs, the tax burden on those of us who remain grows.

Illinois politicians will go over the cliff in denial. I'm negotiating on homes in NWI right now. Talked to a good friend yesterday and he told me he's doing the same so the exodus is real. Will be interesting to see what happens to Illinois in the next decade or so...

Old 12-21-2018, 09:47 AM

629 posts, read 546,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manterro View Post

with the new federal tax code and the loss of the SALT deduction, i would expect the exodus to get stronger... its not even April 15th yet so nobody has felt the wrath of that garbage policy yet... once they do, I expect people to start getting really mad and maybe actually doing something about it. I know I already have

Old 12-21-2018, 10:16 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,959,498 times
The exodus is catching. People read the headlines and they think "I have to leave too, quick!". Nothing cataclysmic will happen. It will be bailed together with string and bailing wire, and we will limp along. There is no there there. In time, Chicago will rise again and people will realize its a desirable place to live. yes, we will have high taxes but so do other large cities like NYC and LA plus their housing prices are higher. Some people will see their move is stupid and will move back. If all you want is to stay at home and watch Netflix and go to chain restaurants, you can live anywhere. Me, I'll stay put and go down with the ship which really, won't go down.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:50 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,915,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
The exodus is catching. People read the headlines and they think "I have to leave too, quick!". Nothing cataclysmic will happen. It will be bailed together with string and bailing wire, and we will limp along. There is no there there. In time, Chicago will rise again and people will realize its a desirable place to live. yes, we will have high taxes but so do other large cities like NYC and LA plus their housing prices are higher. Some people will see their move is stupid and will move back. If all you want is to stay at home and watch Netflix and go to chain restaurants, you can live anywhere. Me, I'll stay put and go down with the ship which really, won't go down.
I agree. You know what else will happen? those that leave Illinois will still come back to this forum and bash the state.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:47 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,573,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
These threads remind me of so many started by just a couple staunch Trump supporters in the Political forums..... a constant similar stream of same things. A agenda that they need to win. Like Illinois is the worst state and the others losing population are less relevant like NY state despite mighty NYC gains .....

I love Illinois with all my heart, and would never intentionally move away. I've been known to become defensive about Illinois. However, I think that people from outside of the state do not understand how dire the situation is (even a lot of the stooges that comprise the voter base). These threads that pop up frequently mirror the conversations that Illinoisans are having with their neighbors, representatives, and the articles appearing in our newspapers.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:29 PM

193 posts, read 69,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

What does the situation in Illinois have to do with Trump?? Taxes are ridiculous here and people are leaving in droves, would that situation change under a different President?? Luckily I'm close enough to be able to work, shop and buy gas on the MO side but IL still manages to stick it to me every year at tax time when I have to pay in...currently looking to sell my house so I can just move over to the MO side but I'm prepared to just walk away from the mortgage if I have to

Old 12-21-2018, 04:04 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,002,186 times
Lived in Chicago for over 25 years. Finally packed up and left in 2014. Was able to buy a house, grow my business and hire employees, and actually grow.....

Cant imagine living there anymore. Madiganistan will swallow all that come within its grips, and you will pay dearly. Get out while you can.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:07 PM

2,511 posts, read 3,395,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Illinois politicians will go over the cliff in denial. I'm negotiating on homes in NWI right now. Talked to a good friend yesterday and he told me he's doing the same so the exodus is real. Will be interesting to see what happens to Illinois in the next decade or so...

so glad I bought in Miller Beach 4 years ago...home has doubled in value. Taxes are a fraction of Crook County..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois