Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 09:30 AM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Illinois and Chicago are really two separate questions. Chicago is in the top 10 worldwide for GDP. I look outside and I see endless cranes building and filling high rises and every month there's news about a new major corporation adding jobs downtown (Facebook, Salesforce, McDonalds, etc.) Chicago will be fine and all the people moving to NWI to commute to Chicago is proof it will be fine. I don't know if Chicago can prop up all of Illinois though (acknowledging Chicago has its own serious debts).

This thread is really about the Rockford, Springfield, Peoria, Champaign, Bloomington/Normals of the world that have suffered serious population / job loss. Outside of Chicago...IL is not an attractive state both geographically and fiscally. I expect the exodus downstate to continue and in the next couple of years the general decline to accelerate...

The irony is that it was the Democratic Machine of Chicago....its incestuous government union corruption that has created the horrific fiscal nightmare which the communitues outside of Chicago must somehow deal with. Without Chicago's nefarious fiscal influence...the rest of Illinois would probably be doing as well as Iowa or Indiana.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:04 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I agree. You know what else will happen? those that leave Illinois will still come back to this forum and bash the state.
I moved Berwyn in the early 2000s right after their big white flight due to Hispanics moving in so I know that to be true. They will continue to come here and bash the state and City too. And if you support Chicago, you might even get private messages from someone threatening to harm you for endangering people's lives by encouraging them to move here, like I got once LOL! So get ready.

Anyway, as much as I abhor saying this, they have some points. The state really does have to get its act together in a lot of ways. Hopefully I'm wrong about J.B. and the complete and unchecked Democrat majority we're going to have and we can get things turned around a little.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:56 PM

720 posts, read 1,083,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Hopefully I'm wrong about J.B. and the complete and unchecked Democrat majority we're going to have and we can get things turned around a little.
Doubtful, but the optimism is admirable.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:24 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Doubtful, but the optimism is admirable.
Yeah, I think it's best when there's some sort of balance. I think Rauner really had an uphill battle and, in retrospect, should have probably turned it over to Jeanne Ives. Not that she would have had an easy time either but she would have done better among core downstate conservatives and was a fresh face, which would have made the race a lot closer. Oh well. It is what it is now.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:53 PM

246 posts, read 349,369 times
Illinois is going to keep bleeding off and the garbage coming out fo Chicago is a lot of the cause. Withough Chicago, Illinois would likely be a decent place. I grew up in McHenry County on a farm my great grandfather purchased in 1899. Farming was beginning to be a pain with all the "city" folks on the road that would get impatient behind our slow moving equipment, City kids running their dirtbikes through our crops with no respect to private property and not really profitable unless a farmer had 500-1000 acres. We had 146 acres, so i helped dad when i could and worked off the farm. I started driving from Marengo to Elk Grove in 1990. It took about 45 minutes. By the time i quit that job and went to work in Woodstock in 1995 the drive was nearly an hour and a half. I spent 4 1/2 years in Woodstock when Dad got an offer he couldn't refuse for the family farm. Our entire family, 12 of us left the state for good in the fall of 1999 and have NEVER looked back.

Dad bought an RV park in Florida and we all kicked in as their was enough income to go around. After my wife was told by a doctor that all her sickness down their was due to mold, (also allergic to penicillin) we left in 2004 for Wisconsin and shortly after Montana. We are back in Wisconsin for good now and my father sold the RV park in Florida moving to Northern Wisconsin as well. I will tell you after 19 years, NONE of us miss anything about HELLinois and actually have $$$$ in my pocket. The taxes, Regulation, Traffic ECT are INSANE!

I do property maintenance on vacation homes in the Wisconsin Northwoods and have about 30 clients. Lost 4 this year alone as they also left HELLinois for good and retired up here and take care of their own property now. Most of my clients are from the Northern Illinois area and virtually NONE of them plan on retiring there. The main sticking point is property taxes but crime, traffic, vehicle fees and expenses and lack of open space are right behind. The last client i lost in August had owned a 1960 3 bed 2 bath in Oak Lawn Illinois that they sold for $285,000. The property taxes where almost 9K a year!!!!! They bought a very beautiful and comparable 3 bedroom house on 1.5 acres on a 200 acre lake here for $265,000 and taxes are $3,500!! Why would anyone stay in Illinois???

For those still working or those who don't want to live on a lake, you can pick up nice single family homes here on an acre for less than $150,000 and have a tax bill under 2K a year. Nice homes in town are under 100K with taxes around $1,500. I bought a 6 bed 3 full bath on 4 acres of woods with a 30x40 pole barn and a 3 car detached garage built in 2004 for $190,000 fully furnished and pay $2,150 a year in taxes. Between the wife and i we make around 70K a year and live VERY comfortably with a $800 mortgage and no debt. All of this said, If you NEED the city or NEED Nordstrom's, Bloomingdales, Prada, Gucci Ect. don't bother looking because along with the cheap cost of living we don't have that trash here.......

Old 12-23-2018, 03:29 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
Illinois is going to keep bleeding off and the garbage coming out fo Chicago is a lot of the cause. Withough Chicago, Illinois would likely be a decent place. I grew up in McHenry County on a farm my great grandfather purchased in 1899. Farming was beginning to be a pain with all the "city" folks on the road that would get impatient behind our slow moving equipment, City kids running their dirtbikes through our crops with no respect to private property and not really profitable unless a farmer had 500-1000 acres. We had 146 acres, so i helped dad when i could and worked off the farm. I started driving from Marengo to Elk Grove in 1990. It took about 45 minutes. By the time i quit that job and went to work in Woodstock in 1995 the drive was nearly an hour and a half. I spent 4 1/2 years in Woodstock when Dad got an offer he couldn't refuse for the family farm. Our entire family, 12 of us left the state for good in the fall of 1999 and have NEVER looked back.

Dad bought an RV park in Florida and we all kicked in as their was enough income to go around. After my wife was told by a doctor that all her sickness down their was due to mold, (also allergic to penicillin) we left in 2004 for Wisconsin and shortly after Montana. We are back in Wisconsin for good now and my father sold the RV park in Florida moving to Northern Wisconsin as well. I will tell you after 19 years, NONE of us miss anything about HELLinois and actually have $$$$ in my pocket. The taxes, Regulation, Traffic ECT are INSANE!

I do property maintenance on vacation homes in the Wisconsin Northwoods and have about 30 clients. Lost 4 this year alone as they also left HELLinois for good and retired up here and take care of their own property now. Most of my clients are from the Northern Illinois area and virtually NONE of them plan on retiring there. The main sticking point is property taxes but crime, traffic, vehicle fees and expenses and lack of open space are right behind. The last client i lost in August had owned a 1960 3 bed 2 bath in Oak Lawn Illinois that they sold for $285,000. The property taxes where almost 9K a year!!!!! They bought a very beautiful and comparable 3 bedroom house on 1.5 acres on a 200 acre lake here for $265,000 and taxes are $3,500!! Why would anyone stay in Illinois???

For those still working or those who don't want to live on a lake, you can pick up nice single family homes here on an acre for less than $150,000 and have a tax bill under 2K a year. Nice homes in town are under 100K with taxes around $1,500. I bought a 6 bed 3 full bath on 4 acres of woods with a 30x40 pole barn and a 3 car detached garage built in 2004 for $190,000 fully furnished and pay $2,150 a year in taxes. Between the wife and i we make around 70K a year and live VERY comfortably with a $800 mortgage and no debt. All of this said, If you NEED the city or NEED Nordstrom's, Bloomingdales, Prada, Gucci Ect. don't bother looking because along with the cheap cost of living we don't have that trash here.......
Very well said!

Old 12-23-2018, 06:58 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Indeed Chicago is the political @hole of the US.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:13 PM

41 posts, read 55,415 times
Default Would like to leave too

I grew up in the Chicago suburbs but currently live in Peoria. Peoria is very different from Chicago (I prefer the openness and relative friendliness of Chicago suburbs). The people who are still here in their 40's are usually die hard Peorians who stay because of family. Still, I know of at least one "die hard" couple in their 50's who are leaving, even though they have a pretty fixed income. The simply cannot tolerate the cost of living, esp the property taxes.

My husband does not make too much a month, we're middle class. I have a property in another state that costs the same as the house I'm in now. In the other state I pay about $2000/yr in property tax, here I pay $5000/yr. That is a cost of $30k every decade just for the privilege of staying in IL, a state that also has high state tax. We could do a lot with that extra $250/mo. Combined with the extra $2k a year I pay in state taxes compared with this other state, that's 50k a decade. We are definitely looking to exit unless things change.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:03 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Who is leaving and where are they going? Is the exodus statewide or concentrated in certain areas?

Old 12-24-2018, 10:36 AM

246 posts, read 349,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Who is leaving and where are they going? Is the exodus statewide or concentrated in certain areas?

1. Indiana gained 19,748
  2. Florida gained 14,978
  3. Wisconsin gained 11,448
  4. Texas gained 10,208
  5. Iowa gained 9,733
  6. Missouri gained 8,520

Top 6 States Illinois Residents Are Moving to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois