Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 06:59 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,193,200 times

Advertisements

Since financial ruin is Illinois’ inevitable outcome, does it really matter who wins this seat? It wasn’t Rauner’s fault we ended up in this position and it certainly won’t be Pritzker’s fault either since he’s inheriting an even bigger mess than Rauner did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 06:23 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
Yea before that happens a Democrat may decide we need a 13% income tax, much higher property taxes say 10% effective, 20% sales taxes etc and cause this state irreparable damage in terms of businesses and people fleeing even worse than now. I have a fair amount of money in the stock market but I am not nearly as worried about that investment as I am in buying a house in Illinois.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Yea before that happens a Democrat may decide we need a 13% income tax, much higher property taxes say 10% effective, 20% sales taxes etc and cause this state irreparable damage in terms of businesses and people fleeing even worse than now. I have a fair amount of money in the stock market but I am not nearly as worried about that investment as I am in buying a house in Illinois.
Only if Pritzker wants to sit for one term...I know everyone enjoys painting doomsday scenarios but the tax increases won’t be nearly as dramatic as you are suggesting. Not in the next 4 years at least.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:45 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,558,583 times
Quote:
This is actually a very realistic scenario if Illinois politicians do not make fundamental reforms (pensions, workers' comp, regulation, etc.) and decrease spending (schools, transit, everything) quickly.

CRAIN'S: Think that progressive tax will fix Illinois finances? Well...

Old 10-15-2018, 11:55 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Only if Pritzker wants to sit for one term...I know everyone enjoys painting doomsday scenarios but the tax increases won’t be nearly as dramatic as you are suggesting. Not in the next 4 years at least.
Based on what?

Old 10-15-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Based on what?
The same evidence that tells you he will "double" them. Bottom line, if he wants to win re-election in 2022 (yes, I am assuming he wins next month because he will), then he isn't proposing some through the roof tax increases over the next 4 years. More than likely minimal tax increases and more kicking the can down the road as everyone that preceded him has done.

From the Crain's article linked earlier in this thread regarding a progressive income tax system in Illinois, "The result? Illinois would have to raise its personal income tax rate right away by 1.5 percentage points, to 6.45 percent, with a corresponding 1.5-point increase in the corporate rate, to 8.5 percent, for a grand total of $6 billion in revenue." Yes, those are considerable increases but a far cry from "doubling" the current rate or:

Quote:

The hyperbole in this thread is thick.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:31 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
The hyperbole in this thread is thick.
How hyperbole is $250E9 compounding continuously? How do you think Illinois is going to come up with that increasing the cigarette tax again? gambling, marijuana?

Old 10-15-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
How hyperbole is $250E9 compounding continuously? How do you think Illinois is going to come up with that increasing the cigarette tax again? gambling, marijuana?
This is hyperbole;

Quote:

Old 10-15-2018, 02:26 PM

997 posts, read 851,749 times
Quote:
I certainly wouldn’t want to be a renter! Ya ya ya, I know you could leave easier, but you wont. It’s easier to complain.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
I certainly wouldn’t want to be a renter! Ya ya ya, I know you could leave easier, but you wont. It’s easier to complain.
No kidding. Homes comparable to mine are renting out for $3,000/month. Talk about throwing your money down the drain to the tune of $36,000/year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois