Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 11:10 PM

9 posts, read 55,868 times

Advertisements

UIS Is now Ranked by US News and World Report. Has a good ranking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 02:13 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,924,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
U of I Champaign is ranked overall as:
-One of the top 50 national universities (2008 U.S. News and World Report)
-One of the top 10 public national universities (2008 U.S. News and World Report)
-Eighth in "100 Best Values in Public Colleges" (2006 Kiplingers's Personal Finance)
-One of the top colleges for top students (Peterson's Competitive Colleges)

-The Graduate School of Library and Information Science's program is tied for 1st in the nation.
-The College of Engineering is ranked 5th (tie) in undergraduate and 5th in graduate programs nationally.
-The College of Business is ranked 12th in undergraduate nationally.
-The College of Education is ranked 25th in graduate programs nationally.
-The College of Law is ranked 25th (tie) in professional programs nationally.
-The Ph.D. Chemistry program is ranked 7th (tie) nationally.
-The Master of Fine Arts program is listed among the top 25 in the country.
-The Master of Music program is tied for 6th in the nation.

U.S. News and World Report is a pretty standard guide for college rankings. UIS isn't ranked in anything whatsoever.
It is now

Old 11-10-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
U of I Champaign is ranked overall as:
-One of the top 50 national universities (2008 U.S. News and World Report)
-One of the top 10 public national universities (2008 U.S. News and World Report)
-Eighth in "100 Best Values in Public Colleges" (2006 Kiplingers's Personal Finance)
-One of the top colleges for top students (Peterson's Competitive Colleges)

-The Graduate School of Library and Information Science's program is tied for 1st in the nation.
-The College of Engineering is ranked 5th (tie) in undergraduate and 5th in graduate programs nationally.
-The College of Business is ranked 12th in undergraduate nationally.
-The College of Education is ranked 25th in graduate programs nationally.
-The College of Law is ranked 25th (tie) in professional programs nationally.
-The Ph.D. Chemistry program is ranked 7th (tie) nationally.
-The Master of Fine Arts program is listed among the top 25 in the country.
-The Master of Music program is tied for 6th in the nation.

U.S. News and World Report is a pretty standard guide for college rankings. UIS isn't ranked in anything whatsoever.
It is now

Old 11-19-2008, 01:02 PM

269 posts, read 1,001,966 times
Hey All,

I'm very happy with the ranking, and YES you can get a great education at UIS. I'm originally from a small Arkansas town of 10,000 people, and straight after high school I attended UIUC as a chemistry major. Let's just say I was totally LOST, there are like 30,000 students there, most from the Chicago suburbs who are used to highschools with 3,000 people etc., and so I had an awful experience. I was struggling but you can have no relationship with professors or advisors at such a big school, you're just another face in the crowd. Finally, I decided to switch from chemistry (as I was mediorce at best) to the Business School, but it was too competitive and you needed at least a B+ average to get into the program, so I transferred to UIS. I loved the small class sizes at UIS, I learned so much more, and because they offer a lot of evening/weekend classes as well as day, I completed my degree with minimal debt because I was able to work while attending school. All in all, I found a great job still the same, and I think yeeah, the bigger companies recruit more at UIUC, but anyone can do fine with a UIS degree too.

Speaking of which...Dana Perino, the Bush Spokeslady, got her Grad Degree from UIS (you can wiki that) and so definitely a degree from UIS is about just as equitable as the UIUC degree.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:54 PM

381 posts, read 842,184 times
Wow, there's a lot of hating on UIUC. It's a great school. Personally, I need more individual attention and a smaller campus, hence why I'll be attending EIU. It's a good FIT for me.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:43 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I believe.... the IU speialty clinics are medical schools in Peoria and Chicago, a Veterinarian school in Champaign, Computer Sciences in Champatin, and there are probably more. I believe the other campuses offer meat and potato courses that prepare the BA candidate for Master Degree and pHD.

For the whiners..... All the UI campuses except Chicago and Peoria are surrounded by cornfields because that is where they are. Illinois is -the heart of the beef and cornbeld. For the poor pitiful driver who doesn't like long boring drives, I have a great idea. Move to California. You'll no longer be bothered with loooooooooong BORING drives. You can sit in snarled traffic for serceral hous if you're clever ehough to plan your destination very carefully.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:51 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
If anyone believes Springfield is cornfields then just wait until you lay eyes on Eastern. There is a lot more to do and experience in Springfield as it is the seat of state government. I can remember when real people could visit and wander the hallowed halls at midnight. It was a neat experience.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:40 AM

I dont think he said Springfield was cornfields, he said UIS was.

Which of course, it is.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:38 PM

381 posts, read 842,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I believe.... the IU speialty clinics are medical schools in Peoria and Chicago, a Veterinarian school in Champaign, Computer Sciences in Champatin, and there are probably more. I believe the other campuses offer meat and potato courses that prepare the BA candidate for Master Degree and pHD.
By IU do you mean Illinois University? I dunno.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:28 AM

1 posts, read 8,493 times
There is no doubt in my mind that UIS is a fine institution. I was very interested in their online computer science program.... The only problem was that it was lacking accreditation. Not sure if that is still an issue? Not talking about the university being accredited but the specific CS ACM accreditation. Anyway.. I have nothing but poistive things to say about my experience at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and their wonderful engineering program. I was enrolled in their Electrical and Computer Engineering program and feel like the curriculum cannot be beat. Top companies such as Google, IBM, and Motorola are continuously recruiting there. If you can get admitted, their graduate engineering is also among the best in the country. Their campus is beautiful and the athletics aren't so bad either! The only downside is with something like 42,326 undergraduates (at last count ) it can be a bit overwhelming at times. Go Illini! Also if you are in town to visit the campus, stop by the Courier Cafe in Urbana and snack a burger and a milkshake. Probably the best I have ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois