Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 09:57 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,253,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrik2714 View Post
[/u][/b]

Why do graduates of the UIUC so arrogant? Why do they look down on other U of I campuses?
I went to UIC, not because I couldn't get into UIUC but I couldn't afford to go away. I did not have rich parents liket he majority of UIUC students. I think UIC introduced me to the real world.
I am sick of some UIUC graduates and how arrogant they are.

If you want to go to UIS, make sure it is a right fit for you. Ultimately, it is your education not anyone else. If you feel comfortable at UIS, go for it.
I am a UIUC grad and I do not have rich parents, but instead worked hard and got scholarships. I do not look down on any other "U of I" campuses. I don't think you have a great picture of UIUC (I know you say some graduates...but there are some graduates of every college that are arrogant, as well as from your own university, I'm sure). I think the point some people are trying to make regarding UIS is that it isn't as well-known so that MAY impact your future job options. You should really look at your own field, the job placements of UIS grads, and so on, and then make your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 07:14 AM

102 posts, read 163,738 times
I am referring to the quote that UIUC is the real university of illinois

Old 12-27-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I am referring to the quote that UIUC is the real university of illinois
I understand that, and even as a UIUC grad, I don't agree with that statement. We also don't know that poster was from UIUC, do we?

Old 12-27-2007, 08:39 PM

102 posts, read 163,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
Exactly. SIUC is a large Division I school, which the majority of the people in the Midwest have heard of. If you said you went to UIS, most people would respond with "where"? I grew up in Illinois and had NEVER heard of the tiny UIS until a high school classmate went there. From the few times I visited her, it seemed like UIS has no real college campus, as SIUC does. Coming from a native Illinoisan, UIS is considered a joke. The people who go there either are commuters or people who couldn't get into the "real" University of Illinois (in Champaign) or any other significant University.
Here is the quote above

Old 12-28-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Here is the quote above
I know. It says they are a native Illinoisian, not that they are a UIUC alumni. It's really a moot point though. I agree with you that the "real University" comment was uncalled for, but also stay firm with the fact that this isn't representative of most UIUC grads (and that this poster might not be a grad). Either way, I agree, if the job placement, etc, is good for a school, go for it.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:31 AM

6 posts, read 24,685 times
Even though SIUC is very well known, it doesn't mean it is better than other state universities. As a rule, it is not a highly competitive academic institution. It is, though, a university that offers majors that many others don't. The average high school grad could get in there. This is true for almost all of the Illinois state schools - except for U of I in Champaign. For the previous poster to say that people who couldn't get into other colleges go to UIS is simply not true. There are MANY reasons why people would choose UIS. What about the student who wants to pursue law. What better place to get an internship than at our state capitol??! What about those who want a small campus? New dorms that are suites? For that matter, NIU and SIU don't even require essays as part of the admission requirements and UIS does. I am by no means putting down any other state college but rather saying that there are unique reasons that make each university the right choice for someone. The reason that UIS is not well know is because it was only taken over by U of I recently.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:32 PM

551 posts, read 3,124,758 times
I think my point was blown out of proportion. I simply meant that from my perception, and from listening to others' comments, UIS holds little prestige. This isn't to say that it's a bad school; perhaps UIS is just overshadowed by the larger schools. I agree with what another poster said--that you should look into the job placement of UIS within your field (as well as the starting salaries) and compare those figures to other schools of interest. I think that will give you a more solid, clear-cut answer to your question of "Is UIS...a good school?". Let the hard data, rather than peoples' opinions, speak for itself.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,279 times
Comparing UIS to UIUC is a pretty unrealistic comparison. UIUC is one of, if not, the best public university in the United States. It's kind of like saying that Wheaton college is no good because it's not Harvard.
I've attended and taught in several colleges/universities from 800-25,000 students. The advantage to larger schools is typically access to really expensive equipment and state of the art research. On the other hand, most professors(not all) at those types of institutions care little if any for undergrads. They often have research groups of 10+ grad students and post docs to occupy themselves.

By comparison, smaller schools offer more interaction between undergrads and professors. I went to a primarily undergraduate institution for my BS and by the time I graduated, every professor in the dept new my name. My wife went to a Univ of 60,000 and didn't even have professors teach many of her classes until she was a junior (with many of her early classes taught by TA's). You may not be curing HIV at a less research based school, but you will get to work with and learn directly from professors that are still experts in their field.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:37 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,399,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilandor View Post
Comparing UIS to UIUC is a pretty unrealistic comparison. UIUC is one of, if not, the best public university in the United States. It's kind of like saying that Wheaton college is no good because it's not Harvard.
It's a good school. No doubt there. Certainly not the best. US News' 2008 rankings put UC-Berkley, UVA, UCLA, Michigan, Carolina, William and Mary, GA Tech, UW, and UCSD (all public) above UIUC. I don't THAT much stock in the US News rankings, but lots of people do, so there's that.

I didn't grow up in Illinois, so I don't get the fascination with UIUC really. I mean, it's cool. Good school. I'm not a big research school guy, myself. I spent some time at one, but transferred to a smaller regional school. The big name profs at the big schools are often more interested in their research than their teaching. You sign up for a class with a great prof and end up getting a TA half the time. The school I attended instead was such that I only had one class not taught (and actually taught) by anyone who wasn't a tenured prof.

Also, about the prestige thing... that's pretty relative. Growing up in SC, I never would have known that U of I was supposed to be a great school. I wouldn't know it from Indiana or Wisconsin or any other Big Ten school in terms of prestige. It might matter here. It might matter to people who have direct experience with U of I. In a lot of regions, though, it won't matter as much as you might think.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:55 AM

135 posts, read 599,374 times
It depends on your particular area. In terms of engineering, U of I is known worldwide as one of the top universities while schools like UVA, Carolina, and W & M fall off of the list. I can't speak for Law, Medicine or any liberal arts but I understand engineering is really U of I's core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois