Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 03:29 PM

19 posts, read 37,312 times

Advertisements

If if bleeds it leads - Illinois is a corpse that the over the top corruption is still trying to bleed out.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,306 times
Default Being taxed out of my home

High property taxes & the 67% increase in income taxes are the items that are forcing me to seriously consider moving to another state. Basically being taxed out of my home. May have to sell at a loss, since housing values tanked. Lots of homes in my area are underwater, foreclosures still happening. Reduction of income and lack of jobs is a killer. Lived in Illinois all my life. Suggestions pro/con for other states? Would like some input. Thanks.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 AM

5 posts, read 9,494 times
Property taxes are the killer in Illinois. I do make a good living and the wages I make in Illinois, specifically the Chicago area, would be much less everywhere else in the nation so.......

That being said, I did move away from chicago once, not too far but far enough to realize how much I enjoy going to a ballgame, concert, show, one of a million restaurants, and much more any day of the week I like. Yes, you can save alot of money but the quality of life just was not the same away from the city. Ill retire in 6 years and I really dont think Ill be able to afford the property taxes here so who knows. Buy a smaller place or move away. I like where I live, like all the things to do and opportunities here. But the taxes are awful.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:07 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,729 times
I'm not leaving. If I do it means a roughly 20% paycut in my vocation. I live a pretty decent life here and I am also frugal and disciplined enough to handle the cost of living issues that crop up. Retirement will require adjustments, but nothing draconian.

My brother moved just over the border to Wisconsin eighteen months ago, yet still works here in the northwestern suburbs. He travels 130 miles round trip to work everyday, with his employer paying all his transportation costs. He hates the commute, but has had no luck finding a job up there that can approach his present pay and benefits.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 AM

5 posts, read 11,378 times
Default Leaving Illinois

We left Illinois in Dec. 2010 for the sun and warmth of Az. In Illinois our house was 60 yrs old. three bedroom with one bathroom no garage on a county road. Our taxes were $2200 a year on 1100 square feet, our new house in Az. is three bedroom, two baths, two stall garage, corner lot with an in ground swimming pool and our taxes are $780 year, figure that one out. The local grade school in only four years old and all our streets etc. are new, not a pothole to be seen anywhere. Guess what, all our politicians are still loose and not in prison. The downfall of Illinois is Chicago and Cook county, the rest of the state isn't too bad, but, I am glad we moved and never want to go back to Illinois.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
^^^
And everyone in Illinois is wondering where the taxes are ONLY $2200.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:01 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slug50 View Post
We left Illinois in Dec. 2010 for the sun and warmth of Az. In Illinois our house was 60 yrs old. three bedroom with one bathroom no garage on a county road. Our taxes were $2200 a year on 1100 square feet, our new house in Az. is three bedroom, two baths, two stall garage, corner lot with an in ground swimming pool and our taxes are $780 year, figure that one out. The local grade school in only four years old and all our streets etc. are new, not a pothole to be seen anywhere. Guess what, all our politicians are still loose and not in prison. The downfall of Illinois is Chicago and Cook county, the rest of the state isn't too bad, but, I am glad we moved and never want to go back to Illinois.
What is the quality of the schools? And if not funded by property taxes, how are they funded?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Um, no, Indy didn't bring millions of people from across the country just to experience the Super Bowl village and NFL Experience. Much of that was from people within the state of Indiana and possibly Louisville and Cincinnati who thought it was likely a once in a lifetime opportunity. We'd never had a chance to experience a Super Bowl village or NFL Experience before and many thought we'd never have the chance again, so many took advantage of it. If Indy gets on the regular rotation, I don't see these record numbers repeating. If Super Bowl week had been a normal winter, instead of temperatures in the 50s and 60s, I don't think we would have seen such high numbers, either. It certainly wasn't because millions of people were drawn from Pennsylvania, Missouri, Tennessee, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc to Indianapolis just for a Super Bowl village.
Dude Cincy can barley fund our new streetcar system which is finally being built so we ended up having to get the money from donations and other sources bringing in a profit that gave cincy a little money.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:09 PM

562 posts, read 989,040 times
Personally I'd love to move to Western WA or Colorado someday. I don't hate where I live but I feel like I pay too much for crumbling infrastructure and high crime. I am afraid that other states won't match my salary and I'll be living in a dump however with everyone saying "oh well you pay less taxes so deal with it".

I'll stay in the Peoria MSA for another year after graduation probably, we'll see where this heads.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:28 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiKatt View Post
High property taxes & the 67% increase in income taxes are the items that are forcing me to seriously consider moving to another state. Basically being taxed out of my home. May have to sell at a loss, since housing values tanked. Lots of homes in my area are underwater, foreclosures still happening. Reduction of income and lack of jobs is a killer. Lived in Illinois all my life. Suggestions pro/con for other states? Would like some input. Thanks.
Come to Indiana
1% property tax cap in the Indiana constutition.
Lower Income and Sales tax.
Cost of living is lower than Chicagoland and our state isnt broke and swimming in 100+ Billion in unfunded pension liabilities. Our states credit rating is AAA which is #1 in the nation and taxpayers are the one that benefit most from it. The state can borrow money and not have to pay high interest rates.
Heck didnt Illinois just cancel a huge bond sale a couple weeks ago admit *fear* of high interest rates?
Ill never forget what that one Chicago tribune blogger once said: It aint easy bein broke

Indiana has the major benefit of Hoosier Hospitality everyone is so kind and generous to everyone.
Heck take a visit to Indianapolis and notice how everyone is friendly and accepting of everyone.
Kinda ironic too that i saw so many Illinois plates at Circle Centre a couple weeks ago.
Indianapolis is a growing city too.
Heres the census numbers for the past 10 years.
Indianapolis gained 50,000 people in the city and 250,000 in the metro area.
Chicago lost 200,000+ in the city and gained a small 200k in its metro area. Growth Rate percents are 20% for Indy and 2% for Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois