Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,271,427 times

Advertisements

^^good point. Yet , I believe there is a net outflow from our state. And the corruption, pension issues and credit rating hinder our state's full potential. Economically IL still packs a good punch, but the issues are like going to a butt-whipping contest with one arm tied behind our back. It also get fatiguing to read about the same nonsense over and over again, like a redu of the movie "Groundhog Day". And it is also infuriating because if we ran our personal finances like the state does, we'd be in bankruptcy proceedings, unable to ask for more handouts aka taxes. I know, I know the services are not handouts, but the interest on past due State obligations sure seem that way to me.

And there is an increasing number of people thinking "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Many show their disdain by relocating.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,411,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
^^good point. Yet , I believe there is a net outflow from our state. And the corruption, pension issues and credit rating hinder our state's full potential. Economically IL still packs a good punch, but the issues are like going to a butt-whipping contest with one arm tied behind our back. It also get fatiguing to read about the same nonsense over and over again, like a redu of the movie "Groundhog Day". And it is also infuriating because if we ran our personal finances like the state does, we'd be in bankruptcy proceedings, unable to ask for more handouts aka taxes. I know, I know the services are not handouts, but the interest on past due State obligations sure seem that way to me.

And there is an increasing number of people thinking "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Many show their disdain by relocating.
I agree, too. Honestly, if we could fix the debt and corruption that plague the state government, Illinois would not only be the most economically powerful state in the Midwest (which it unquestionably is) but also the most attractive state in the Midwest (which it isn't, unless you have a lot of money to sink into a new or expanding business).

Old 01-30-2013, 12:19 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,302,746 times
On behalf of the city of Indianapolis and its intelligent residents...........sorry.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:22 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,517,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Top 10 moving destinations in the U.S.

Top 10 moving destinations in the U.S. - CBS News

Chicago is number 5.

Indianapolis is not on the list.
Hard to take it seriously for some of the cities on the list.
Read the Yahoo.com comments if you dont believe me.
Chicago is one
Seattle is another
Atlanta also is another. their economy is still recovering from the massive housing bust. no way Atlanta is the hot bed for relocations *yet*

Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,219,544 times
I just finished reading an article saying chicago was #5 on the list for where the most people are moving to

Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,703,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Hard to take it seriously for some of the cities on the list.
Read the Yahoo.com comments if you dont believe me.
Chicago is one
Seattle is another
Atlanta also is another. their economy is still recovering from the massive housing bust. no way Atlanta is the hot bed for relocations *yet*
So did penske make it up?

Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,805 times
This is from one family that left Illinois after 17 years of living there. We took our $ 300,000 combined salary, left, and never looked back. The cost of living, corruption, weather, traffic, to name a few, is out of control in Chicago. We now live in one of the no-income tax states and love it. You can really see the difference in how the whole state runs, not to mention the extra money you get to keep. What a concept. Here is something to think about: Do you really think that the income tax rate will go back to pre Quinn levels? Consider that just about every large corporation got huge tax breaks for so not to leave Illinois. Worth several hundred million dollars. That combined with not one dollar of the increased tax revenues has been used to pay down the staggering debt, the 5% tax rate will never go back as promised, but will most likely be raised. Please, just look to California for guidance if you like. The income tax rate there is up to 13% for some folks. And they are still stone broke! But these days, who cares. Please stay in Illinois and pay those taxes with a smile. We don't want the traffic to increase here anyway.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:03 AM

106 posts, read 157,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
I just finished reading an article saying chicago was #5 on the list for where the most people are moving to

Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,517,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion1965 View Post
This is from one family that left Illinois after 17 years of living there. We took our $ 300,000 combined salary, left, and never looked back. The cost of living, corruption, weather, traffic, to name a few, is out of control in Chicago. We now live in one of the no-income tax states and love it. You can really see the difference in how the whole state runs, not to mention the extra money you get to keep. What a concept. Here is something to think about: Do you really think that the income tax rate will go back to pre Quinn levels? Consider that just about every large corporation got huge tax breaks for so not to leave Illinois. Worth several hundred million dollars. That combined with not one dollar of the increased tax revenues has been used to pay down the staggering debt, the 5% tax rate will never go back as promised, but will most likely be raised. Please, just look to California for guidance if you like. The income tax rate there is up to 13% for some folks. And they are still stone broke! But these days, who cares. Please stay in Illinois and pay those taxes with a smile. We don't want the traffic to increase here anyway.
well said

Old 01-31-2013, 03:04 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,219,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCityRoller View Post
exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois