Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:29 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times

Advertisements

I don't the BRG is lying as much as he does not understand. He still a high school boy living at home who has not experienced life yet. He should read more business, tech, and financial news on a global scale and listen less to haters.

Union workers earn about $200 more per week than non-union shop employees. There is even a greater disparity in right-to-work states that traditonally pay lower wages than Illinois for the same job.

It always amuses me when I read about an IL company that moved to IN, but them moves back to Illinois. It must be in the water.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:18 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I am not misunderstanding anything. I been reading newspapers for 65-years. It was very true before the Internet and the intense competition to be the FIRST to print it and thereby increase ranking and advertising income. Now media entertainment that pretends to offer new information in the guise of news will grab any piece of fluff and spin it into a shocking headline.

Oh my God the sky is falling! Illinois is losing more residents than Wherever USA!! Compared to what? Does it take into account how many new residents are moving into Chicago that do not use commercial movers? It is very easy to compile the data provided by national movers but it says little about the others. Does it include U-Haul? Just because I rent a truck one-way to Iowa does not mean I am moving out of Illinois.

Don't get too excited until the population is balanced between Cook County and the rest of the state. It ain't gonna happen very soon.
You didn't even address the poster's point. If it bleeds, it leads is what you said. Tell me a story about how much blood is involved with people leaving IL. If you can't, then why use that term?

Old 01-19-2013, 04:26 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
And everyone of them is welcomed in Indiana
Low taxes/low cost of living and real estate
Fiscally sound state.
5th best business climate in the country and 1st in the midwest.
over 30 major businesses have moved to Indiana from Illinois in the past 1.5 years since the tax hike
Indianapolis is the fastest growing city in the midwest. Good chunk of that growth comes from Illinois and Michigan.
oh did i mention our state continues to create a record number of jobs? more and more people are finding out you can get a job in Indiana as opposed to Illinois.
For Truck drivers Indiana is within a days drive to 80% of the US population.
Hoosier Hospitality.
Finally the most Successful Super Bowl was held in Indianapolis. Indy is bidding again for Super Bowl 52 and Chicago has yet to host a Super Bowl. let alone a successful one.
Couple Quick Remarks

1.) Indianapolis will not come remotely close to the grandeur of Chicago. At least not in your lifetime. As soon as you accept that one fact, you won't believe how pleasantly surprised you'll be when people actually take you seriously. I'm sure that will be a major shock, but a necessary one nevertheless.

2.) I'm a proud Hoosier, but I frankly don't see what the appeal is for IN when there is such a glut of so called "low tax" states about everywhere else in the country with either better weather or better natural beauty. Tell me Broadrippleguy, why would a business relocate to Indiana over Texas, Arizona, or North Carolina? After all... one sprawled out, pollution-choked, "business-friendly" city can't be that much different than the next. What makes an Indianapolis so much better than say a Dallas or a Houston or even a Phoenix?

Last edited by Bluefox; 01-19-2013 at 04:46 AM..

Old 01-19-2013, 06:18 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I don't the BRG is lying as much as he does not understand.
If you've been told what you're saying is false, and shown the data to back-up the idea that what you continue to perpetuate is false, then you are choosing to continue to perpetuate a false idea, which is lying.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 AM

I don't think he is lying as much as he is trying to get attention. He admitted as much to me a while back. And some of it he fervently believes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
If you've been told what you're saying is false, and shown the data to back-up the idea that what you continue to perpetuate is false, then you are choosing to continue to perpetuate a false idea, which is lying.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:49 AM

Why do you care, Hoosier?
People moving is nothing new, and neither is the hysterical headline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
You didn't even address the poster's point. If it bleeds, it leads is what you said. Tell me a story about how much blood is involved with people leaving IL. If you can't, then why use that term?

Old 01-20-2013, 02:31 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
Couple Quick Remarks

1.) Indianapolis will not come remotely close to the grandeur of Chicago. At least not in your lifetime. As soon as you accept that one fact, you won't believe how pleasantly surprised you'll be when people actually take you seriously. I'm sure that will be a major shock, but a necessary one nevertheless.

2.) I'm a proud Hoosier, but I frankly don't see what the appeal is for IN when there is such a glut of so called "low tax" states about everywhere else in the country with either better weather or better natural beauty. Tell me Broadrippleguy, why would a business relocate to Indiana over Texas, Arizona, or North Carolina? After all... one sprawled out, pollution-choked, "business-friendly" city can't be that much different than the next. What makes an Indianapolis so much better than say a Dallas or a Houston or even a Phoenix?
Dallas/Houston/Phoenix are more expensive than Indy due to having a massive amount of people in the city and being bleeding heart liberal cities. *All of them are run by democrats*
Phoenix is expessionally interesting due to the fact its in a DESERT. give Phoenix 20 years and it will not be nearly as desirable to be as now cause well water will be running short.
As the old saying goes without water your dead.
Indiana has the advantage of being the crossroads of America. almost everything today is being moved by truck and Indiana has I-80/90/94/74/65/70/64 and 69 criss crossing the state. Not to mention Indy has the worlds largest Fed EX terminal outside of its world hub in Memphis.
City leads Midwest in speculative industrial development | 2012-11-27 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com
notice Indy has more space under construction than even Chicago/Minneapolis and Cincy.

Relocation cost more the further you go. moving a business across the border 20-30 miles is ALOT cheaper than moving it 1000 miles to Texas/Arizona/Flordia. Plus Indiana has the relocation tax credit that covers atleast 50% of the cost of relocating a company. not to mention 3% cap on property taxes for businesses and 1% on personal property/personal property tax abatements. Oh did i forget to mention Mike Pence wants to cut our income tax by 10% to 3.06% flat rate.
Indy finally has the advantage of being close to so many large cities.
Chicago/St Louis/Cincy/Louisville and Fort Wayne/Columbus and Dayton Ohio all come to mind. combined thats nearly 20M people. you would have to live on the east coast to get that many people. Hence the record crowds for Indy's Super bowl 46 with an estimated 1,300,000 visitors to the Super Bowl village and the NFL experience getting over 250k visitors which shattered the previous record by 30%

Any more questions or did i cover your points good enough

Old 01-22-2013, 12:51 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Indianapolis is the fastest growing city in the midwest.
Please stop embarrassing those of us that actually do live in Indianapolis. Indianapolis is not the fastest growing city in the country. It's not even the fastest growing city in Indiana. Maybe the fastest growing city over 300,000 people in Indiana (considering it's the only one), but Fort Wayne grew by more than twice what Indy did from 2000-2011. The entire Indy metro may be one of the fastest growing metros in the country, but that's more thanks to the suburbs, especially in Hamilton county where a couple cities have more than doubled their population in the past decade. But it's certainly not spurred much by Indy itself, which has only grown by 5% in the past 10 years. You need to make sure you differentiate between metro and city growth because it's a big difference.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:55 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Indy finally has the advantage of being close to so many large cities.
Chicago/St Louis/Cincy/Louisville and Fort Wayne/Columbus and Dayton Ohio all come to mind. combined thats nearly 20M people. you would have to live on the east coast to get that many people. Hence the record crowds for Indy's Super bowl 46 with an estimated 1,300,000 visitors to the Super Bowl village and the NFL experience getting over 250k visitors which shattered the previous record by 30%
Um, no, Indy didn't bring millions of people from across the country just to experience the Super Bowl village and NFL Experience. Much of that was from people within the state of Indiana and possibly Louisville and Cincinnati who thought it was likely a once in a lifetime opportunity. We'd never had a chance to experience a Super Bowl village or NFL Experience before and many thought we'd never have the chance again, so many took advantage of it. If Indy gets on the regular rotation, I don't see these record numbers repeating. If Super Bowl week had been a normal winter, instead of temperatures in the 50s and 60s, I don't think we would have seen such high numbers, either. It certainly wasn't because millions of people were drawn from Pennsylvania, Missouri, Tennessee, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc to Indianapolis just for a Super Bowl village.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Um, no, Indy didn't bring millions of people from across the country just to experience the Super Bowl village and NFL Experience. Much of that was from people within the state of Indiana and possibly Louisville and Cincinnati who thought it was likely a once in a lifetime opportunity. We'd never had a chance to experience a Super Bowl village or NFL Experience before and many thought we'd never have the chance again, so many took advantage of it. If Indy gets on the regular rotation, I don't see these record numbers repeating. If Super Bowl week had been a normal winter, instead of temperatures in the 50s and 60s, I don't think we would have seen such high numbers, either. It certainly wasn't because millions of people were drawn from Pennsylvania, Missouri, Tennessee, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc to Indianapolis just for a Super Bowl village.
last time i checked Louisville/Cincy/Chicago arent in the state of Indiana.
kind of a contradicting statement there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois