Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 10:56 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,716,275 times

Advertisements

What is the rule for transferring to a 4 year from 2 year school in Illinois? I will have an Associates and looking to transfer, is it automatic acceptance? Do I need all prior transcripts or will those transcripts I can't send not be included but I will be admitted anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 02:49 PM

562 posts, read 990,299 times
If you graduated high school quite awhile ago, that is probably not relevant. You will definitely at least need the transcript from the school where you got the Associates. In terms of transferring specific classwork into a program DO YOUR RESEARCH. Most major schools in the state have obscure documents online for various 2-year schools that say which courses match which. The big pitfall you are looking to avoid is doing redundant coursework because some of the credits don't match up. I recommend contacting by email an admissions person at your school of your choice and explain your degree and credit standing as well as the program you plan on going into.

It's not as difficult as it sounds in retrospect for me, you just have to be a bit meticulous and have things prepared. It's not automatic acceptance but if your GPA is not really low then you'll probably be fine. I do strongly emphasize speaking to admin people at your target school.

Good luck

Old 10-23-2012, 02:51 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,289,865 times
Best guess is to call the college and ask which of your credits are transferrable. Every college requirements are different. You might get lucky and all will be accepted.

Congratulations on continuing your education!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:23 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,361,273 times
Most every community college in Illinois has an agreement that is guaranteed that their credits will transfer into a public university.

It is MUCH easier than it used to be years ago.

Although, there may be additional classes that need to be taken for certain programs per the university. Start with the university you wish to transfer into.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:06 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,716,275 times
I am not concerned about what credits will or won't transfer I already know that part. My concern is do I need all my transcripts from previous schools? The reason I ask is I will be transferring to a 4 year school but one of my previous schools has a hold and will not release the transcripts. What I have heard is that if you are transferring with an associates it would be automatic acceptance and only the transcripts of the last school attended are required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois