Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:56 PM

45 posts, read 71,946 times

Advertisements

I noticed when i lived in south Central Illinois, That they have a Texas twist to the folks there.

Take Greenup for instance, you would think country singers ariginated from there.

I go back there once in a great while to visit inlaws, and notice they have small versions of honkytonks there.

Isn't Illinois a northern state? than why do some folks in southeren Ill act like there from Texas.

The accents are southern, they eat southern food and support the country music biz like its there own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 01:02 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Well, let's see.....Paducah Kentucky is one of the southern tips.....
But everything you described is why I prefer central and southern Illinois to the north.

They work hard and play hard. And eat to be able to keep up with it.

Good hardworking folk that don't feel the need to keep up with the Jones.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:26 PM

285 posts, read 1,068,322 times
Because its rural. If you are talking about Mt Vernon, Marion, Benton, etc, they are all rural cities. They do not sit on the brink of a big city, and thats the lifestyle they have there. It's not like they are pretending to be Texans, that's how they are raised in southern Illinois; hunting, fishing, Rend Lake, Crab Orchard Lake, etc. And what accent? I lived there 22 years and I live in St. Louis now, and I see no chance in the way people talk. I don't hear any accent at all in a southern Illinoisan versus anyone else.

And small versions of honkytonks? We must be talking about different parts of southern Illinois. I lived there 22 years and really have no clue what half of your post is talking about?

And what exactly does "[they] support the country music biz like its there own" mean? Do you have to live in a southern state to listen to country music, or do you have to live in Nashville? Kind of like white Americans buy the majority of rap/hip hop albums, and black people dominate a sport (basketball) created by a white man? I don't understand your logic here.

Are you just trying to flame bait, or what? I'm not finding a point in this post.

Last edited by Juice13610; 10-19-2007 at 04:15 PM..

Old 10-19-2007, 05:03 PM

No, actually the people who live in southern IL. are those discribed in blue collar tv from Jeff Foxworthy and Larry The cable Guy.

Its not bad. Its rural il takes more after those who would live in Texas or Kentucky. small town life with no reason to change or grow.

Honky tonks, i mean places to go line dancin and listen to Brooks n Dunn.

People worship the county music scene down in places like Casey Greenup Mattoon. I should know i lived there even in Jacsonville.

I love southeren IL people are cool down there.

They love there Wal-mart like we love our chicago Michegan Ave shopping.

I listen to Country music with my wife and we see most of the acts who come thorugh here so i like it too but folks in southern IL, Country music is like religion to them. They have to have it.

Pretty much in a nutshell if you were from Texas and drove up to Illinois, you would have a hardtime distinguishing form folks in Texas and parts of Illinois until you hit Bloomington or Champein.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:29 PM

285 posts, read 1,068,322 times
Ok, I'm going to ignore the blatant disregard for correct spelling and punctuation, but I see now you are talking about SOUTH southern Illinois. I am from southern Illinois, Benton/West Frankfort area to be exact, and country music is no more popular there than any other genre.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:38 PM

I do apogize for my rotton spelling.

Nice area by the way. The fixhing down there rules.

Im just saying when i lived in Central IL. they had the southern draw folks have in Georgia and Texas. And all they listen to is country unless you were a teen listening to rock.

Folks in The east central Il area live out the lives explained on Blue Collar TV.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:29 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann304 View Post
No, actually the people who live in southern IL. are those discribed in blue collar tv from Jeff Foxworthy and Larry The cable Guy.
oh, so you like the negative stereotypes that a couple of mindlesss comedians use to perpetuate against you for money. i see...

Last edited by via chicago; 10-19-2007 at 07:42 PM..

Old 10-19-2007, 07:59 PM

Hey come on there funny.

Jeff Foxworthy is a welknown comedian who speaks from experience.

Not all people who live i Central IL are rednecks. My wife is from from Central IL and she isn't a redneck but it took me awhile to break her accent.

I lived there so i know whats there. People are very nice downthere its just they have the spitting image of folks from Georgia or Texas.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:01 AM

269 posts, read 1,100,615 times
When describing Illinois, it is very important to say the area. Illinois, in my opinion, is three different states, that just happen to have the same legislative body. While all three resemble each other, they are all very different. I have been to parts of the state, that you could honestly think were part of the deep south. But then again, there are parts of the state that are major metro. Illinois is sort of an enigma state, that unless you live here it is really hard to get.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:45 AM

That was the point i wanted to make.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois