Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2007, 09:24 AM

4 posts, read 17,387 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

We're a young family with two pre-school kids and we're considering Idaho as a great place to relocate to from afar. We're currently in Colorado and while we enjoy it here we're not too excited about the increasing population density, the social ills that it brings, property taxes, general cost of living and frankly the increasing air of entitlement in our state.

We're planning to road trip through the state in the next month or so and would like to get a good over-view of the state.

Issues of importance in descending order:

1. Community. A town of around 20k people or near one. Hoping to create community for our little ones. Anything much larger than 20k is a problem.

2. Land. I'd like a few acres of arable land that I could have a subsistence garden on. No restrictions on the ownership of a few laying hens maybe some goats and rabbits at some point.

3. Good schools, private, charter, co-op.

4. Access to a good medical facility.

5. Non-insane water right laws.

Living in a small community is really preferable to living remotely. A nearby town with a university/college would be nice as well.

Sounds like Moscow and environs might be a good place to visit. We were thinking of checking out CDA, Moscow, Boise. Basically want a first timer's tour. Looking at Google Earth and what's available on the 'Net CDA looks purty fancy-schmancy.

Any ideas?

Last edited by notbeinfringed; 05-13-2007 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 10:04 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Boise's population is well over the 20,000 mark. Sadly as are other areas that are no longer.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:40 PM

121 posts, read 737,972 times
Your list doesn't ring any bells so far. Sounds like an ideal 1960's town we'd all love to live in.
Anyplace in southeast Idaho is going to have water problems. Good schools are a crapshoot. Good medical facility with under 20K population?
I'd have to say don't get your hopes up.
But keep looking and let us know what you find so we can all move there and subdivide it.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:22 AM

39 posts, read 207,984 times
I seriously have the perfect place for you. Rigby. That is where we live and we love it. You could go to Rexburg if you wanted bigger, but I thing the Rigby area is perfect.
1. Community-We love our neighborhood. I have a 5, 3 and 1 year old. I leave my front door open and have kids coming in and out all the time. We have a trampoline in the back that I let anyone go jump on and they love that. There's lots of fun community activities. A rodeo, and parade during the summer. An Easter Egg hunt in the spring. A fun Christmas tree they put up on the corner of main street that is crooked every year. I love living in a small town. The banker, pharmacist, and baggers at the grocery store all know my name. In fact, my sister was out here from Massachusets, and came to the store with me. The bagger brought my groceries out to my car and loaded them for me (they do that every time) and she couldn't believe it. Lots of fun little stuff like that.
2. Land. This is the place. You can get land for so great prices here. A 1 acre lot will run about 30-35k. or you can get a brand new house in a development (still on an acre) for about $200,000. and there are horses, cown, lammas, you name it all over. I don't think you'll have a problem finding land.
3. Good Schools. All my kids are still in preschool, but my neighbors go to a private school called Jefferson Monttasori (I don't know how to spell it) They absolutly love it. They are always going on field trips to great places. They just got back from Washington DC.
4. About 15 min. north is Rexburg and they have an excellent hospital there. It isn't a huge hospital and I love that. I have had 4 trips to the emergency room in the last 3 year and everytime has been a good experience. I've never waited more than a 1/2 hour to see the doctor.
And here in Rigby we have a community Care building that I really like too.
5. Water Rights. The best one of all! We pay $14 a month (I think) for water no matter how much we use. They don't meter the water here! It's insane. You can use as much as you want. My parents from Utah don't believe it, but it's true. I don't know how it works outside of the City limits.

I love Rigby because it's a small town, but not too small. We have a grocery store, lumber store, craft store, bank, pharmacy, gym, post office, dollar store, movie store, copy place and Library all within walking distance. So, if I need to run errands I can do it so easily. But then if I feel like going into town, I can go south 25 min to Idaho Falls, and go to the big stores. Walmart, Target, Kohls, Circuit City, Bed Bath& Beyond, Staples, Fred Meyer, ect. you get the picture. I like to go to Idaho Falls about once a week.
You can also go North 15 min to Rexburg where they have BYU Idaho. Its a fun College town.
Hope my info helped and good luck!

Old 05-23-2007, 01:09 PM

174 posts, read 430,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigbymomof3 View Post
I seriously have the perfect place for you. Rigby. That is where we live and we love it. You could go to Rexburg if you wanted bigger, but I thing the Rigby area is perfect.
1. Community-We love our neighborhood. I have a 5, 3 and 1 year old. I leave my front door open and have kids coming in and out all the time. We have a trampoline in the back that I let anyone go jump on and they love that. There's lots of fun community activities. A rodeo, and parade during the summer. An Easter Egg hunt in the spring. A fun Christmas tree they put up on the corner of main street that is crooked every year. I love living in a small town. The banker, pharmacist, and baggers at the grocery store all know my name. In fact, my sister was out here from Massachusets, and came to the store with me. The bagger brought my groceries out to my car and loaded them for me (they do that every time) and she couldn't believe it. Lots of fun little stuff like that.
2. Land. This is the place. You can get land for so great prices here. A 1 acre lot will run about 30-35k. or you can get a brand new house in a development (still on an acre) for about $200,000. and there are horses, cown, lammas, you name it all over. I don't think you'll have a problem finding land.
3. Good Schools. All my kids are still in preschool, but my neighbors go to a private school called Jefferson Monttasori (I don't know how to spell it) They absolutly love it. They are always going on field trips to great places. They just got back from Washington DC.
4. About 15 min. north is Rexburg and they have an excellent hospital there. It isn't a huge hospital and I love that. I have had 4 trips to the emergency room in the last 3 year and everytime has been a good experience. I've never waited more than a 1/2 hour to see the doctor.
5. Water Rights. The best one of all! We pay $14 a month (I think) for water no matter how much we use. They don't meter the water here! It's insane. You can use as much as you want. My parents from Utah don't believe it, but it's true. I don't know how it works outside of the City limits.

I love Rigby because it's a small town, but not too small. We have a grocery store, lumber store, craft store, bank, pharmacy, gym, post office, dollar store, movie store, copy place and Library all within walking distance. So, if I need to run errands I can do it so easily. But then if I feel like going into town, I can go south 25 min to Idaho Falls, and go to the big stores. Walmart, Target, Kohls, Circuit City, Bed Bath& Beyond, Staples, Fred Meyer, ect. you get the picture. I like to go to Idaho Falls about once a week.
You can also go North 15 min to Rexburg where they have BYU Idaho. Its a fun College town.
How receptive are the townsfolk about non-LDS people?

And, BTW, thank you for a nice descriptive post. You make the town sound very nice! How mild (or otherwise) are the winters?

Old 05-24-2007, 09:08 PM

39 posts, read 207,984 times
To be honest I can't say exactly because I am LDS so I don't know what it's like if your not. I can only see it from my point-of-view. We have some neighbors that aren't LDS, and we get along fine with them. My husband rides his motorcycle with them. And my kids play another family down the street that isn't LDS.
People who are LDS should be king to everyone, and if they aren't they aren't living the way they should. But you find people like that in any religion.
Here are some positive and negative things I see living in a community of LDS people. GENERALLY speaking
POSITIVE:
1. people are honest, hardworking, and kind
2. People have very high standards. not a lot of drugs, alcohol, and premarital sex.
3. The area is really pretty safe.
4. Lots of children around because LDS people tend to have a lot of kids.
(actually that could be negative if you don't like kids)

NEGATIVE:
1. You might feel like you don't fit in.
2. LDS people tend to be very close because they go to church together and have activities together.
3. Most stores are closed on Sunday.

I think the bottom line is that it really isn't a big deal if you are LDS or not. I think what kind of person you are is way more important. If you are kind and loveing people will love you where ever you go.

WEATHER: The winters here are COLD! but not real icy like in the East. It's more cold, snow and wind. Not a lot of ice. The good thing about that is that the summers are beautiful. It gets really warm, but never really too hot.
Let me know if you have any more questions!

Old 07-22-2008, 01:44 AM

2 posts, read 6,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigbymomof3 View Post

You are very informative, but I do have a few questions.

- How's the job market in Rigby?
- What's the weather like on winter season? Does the snows get real high? I am a Southern woman------>can't drive on snows!

Hoping for your reply! Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho