Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:02 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,442,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
That is funny, Bob! Thanks for sharing your humor- something else great about you.

Trace - we need you. Your Idaho - to- be family looks forward to when all things work together for your good and you can complete your dream of moving to the Gem state.

MSR
Thank you ALL... The more I associate with you fine folks here the more I know in my heart we will fit right in. I will do my level best to be a positive addition to the great state of Idaho. You wont find a "TRACE" of California on me once the plates on my truck are changed..LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 08:18 PM

993 posts, read 3,255,104 times
I think it's time to congratulate SANDPOINTIAN.

Every time I read a response from this person it is full of facts and well written.
I wish I could have set next to them in school so I could cheat off of their papers
Very imformed and very articulate. It is a pleasure to read and comprehend his / her words.

Let's give it up for SANDPOINTIAN.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:53 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,451,866 times
Lightbulb I Agree DR. Will Everyone Please Post so I Can Get to Know Sandpointain Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
I think it's time to congratulate SANDPOINTIAN.

Every time I read a response from this person it is full of facts and well written.
I wish I could have set next to them in school so I could cheat off of their papers
Very imformed and very articulate. It is a pleasure to read and comprehend his / her words.

Let's give it up for SANDPOINTIAN.
I'm with you, DESERET RYDER. SANDPOINTIAN IS VERY WELL VERSED IN MANY SUBJECTS. I always learn something new when I read his posts, or learn so many things I have to research the topics further.

I hope Bob, MistyRiverRanch, Sage and others who live in NID and may know more about Sandpointian will tell us some specific traits they appreciate and enjoy about him. Things he may be too modest to say on his own.

Awesome, DR, that you got the drift that anyone can nominate anyone here at anytime. That is the whole point. The more I post on CDF, I remain impressed with the people who post in the ID Forum. In no way am I putting a person down who posts on another thread, but I do want to share a quick story.

Since the other poster is the "expert" about that thread, he most often welcomes new members. I, too, welcomed someone recently as a routine post and that resulted in the "unofficial host," of the thread sending me 3-4 DMs of sheer delight. He wasn't upset with me, he couldn't believe I'd bother taking the time to welcome others to that post. HUH? Why wouldn't I, if I knew they were new to the forum? That question bothers me more. No thread is about one person and enjoying posting, for me, comes with the exchange of my thoughts/beliefs/feelings while reading those of others. The thread rapidly can become larger than the sum of the individuals who post in that location.

I admit I didn't want to redirect all of those who post in the other forum to the ID forum, so I didn't state "Idaho" by name. However, I did tell this very well intentioned gentleman that I posted regularly in another forum at CDF where ALL the regulars who were posting at the time welcomed new posters (and re-newed- those who hadn't posted in a while) when we had the opportunity to do so. Somehow, that seemed to boggle his very urban, east coast mind.

Please do not misunderstand, this person has been very good to me and in no way do I wish to embarrass or write anything negative about him - as this is about my learning experience, not him. I'm saying it was such a wake up call to me of some of the "gifts," we share freely here in the ID Forum with each other. I'm so very grateful we have them to share and we do share them with each other. We even apologize and gently tease on this forum to understand one another better. The ease and probably the phrase I'm searching for is how familiar others soon become to each of us, allows us to accept, welcome and appreciate each other on this forum more than some forumers can in other forums at CDF. I find that sad.

What we have is rare, given my various journies in CDF and I'm happy we have it! Some of our relaxed state does have to do with being in the west, but most is due to the people who write the words.

Life is hard for many. At least we can say, "Atta Boy or Atta Girl, or Atta Pal" to our friends here on rough days and days when they do something special. Not everyone in states with high populations feel that they can do the same..... how sad, IMHO.

Sandpointain is someone I'd like to learn more about. Specifically, is there a nickname or 2-3 initials we can use when referencing him? I'm always worried I'll spell his name incorrectly. I don't mean any disrespect, just find his name is a little difficult for me to point. Does anyone ever call him names such as, "The Sand Man," or other names? Sandpointain, are there any nicknames and/or abbreviations you would encourage us to use regarding your previous posts?

I appreciate Sandpointain's willingness to learn from others, even when the subject may be uncomfortable. I'd certainly like to hear from him again regarding the polygamy situation in NID. Polygamy is about so much more than what occurs behind closed doors (for adults). The strains on a county or state social service programs, among others, can be overwhelming. It is a huge problem for reasons ranging from education, permits for burial (ask me about that story a different day), new births, who receives training from state or county or regional-sponsored programs, let alone WIC, Medicaid etc.

Great choice, DESERT RYDER, in who next should be honored. I second your selection of Sandpointain and say I probably know almost nothing about him, except he appears well educated, a devoted family man who values tradition and is very dedicated to the area he loves. I don't know if he is an Idaho native by birth or by rapid adoption. But, I do know he cares deeply about the state, NID, and the people with whom he associates and does business.

It is good to have you be a part of this forum, Sandpointain. Congratulations on making such an impression on DR that he wanted to select you next.

MSR

Old 05-25-2009, 08:02 AM

445 posts, read 1,329,672 times
Default In Praise of Sandpointian

I agree with others who have heaped praise on Sandpointian. If you want a learned response to an important topic on this Forum, watch for the words of wisdom from Sandpointian. Read it carefully. His posts are never superficial. They will make you think and - more often than not - change the way you feel about a subject.

The "Congratulations" to Sandpointian is quite appropriate. He/She is a Gem in the Gem State of Idaho. We are fortunate to have him/her participating in this unique Forum.

Thank you, Sandpointian!

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 05-25-2009, 11:41 AM

I absolutely concur! Congrats to Sandpointian!!!
I have to admit sometimes I feel like a dolt after reading some posts by this great staple of our CDF community...
One can only hope to have such a reasoned eloquent way of getting your point across.
I dont know Sandpointian, but I do hope one day we will have an NID gathering and that can be remedied... Congrats to Sandpointian, and I hope one day to gain the maturity and grasp of events, tapics, and language that SP has... Yet another reason why the Idaho CDF forum is such a great place to frequent, gain knowledge, and make friends.... CONGRATS!!!!

Old 05-25-2009, 01:45 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
I want to join this chorus and congratulate both Trace and Sandpointian for being such upbeat and welcoming voices on this forum, and always eloquent, each in your own way! I've tried to give you guys positive "reps" over and over again, but the system won't let me. So this is a great alternative! I also hope we can do a NID gathering some day. Thanks again to MSR for starting this thread.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:47 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,846,422 times
The local abbreviation for Sandpoint is "SP". So "SP'ian" would be a proper grammatical abbreviation.

I personally find SP'ian to be one of our greatest assets. The information shared is thoughtful, informative, provokes a critical analysis of one's own sociopolitical views, and is phrased in a way as to attack and challenge our ideas without ever going after a person in a petty or self-serving way. SP'ian, you make me proud to have you here in our little corner of CDF....I get to brag on y'all since quite frankly so many mods on other forums have so many headaches and serious battles....and it's posters like SP'ian who help make the Idaho forum the great place it is...so thanks...

Old 05-25-2009, 08:29 PM

Thumbs up SP'ian - Challenging the Idea, Not the Person - a Great Skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
The local abbreviation for Sandpoint is "SP". So "SP'ian" would be a proper grammatical abbreviation.

I personally find SP'ian to be one of our greatest assets. The information shared is thoughtful, informative, provokes a critical analysis of one's own sociopolitical views, and is phrased in a way as to attack and challenge our ideas without ever going after a person in a petty or self-serving way. SP'ian, you make me proud to have you here in our little corner of CDF....I get to brag on y'all since quite frankly so many mods on other forums have so many headaches and serious battles....and it's posters like SP'ian who help make the Idaho forum the great place it is...so thanks...
Thanks for the abbreviation, Sage. I hope that works for Sandpointian.

I agree s/he does challenge ideas some of us present without challenging the person. That is a skill and art. I do hope someone will clue SP'ian that s/he is getting Congratulated (which is sort of like a clean, positive roast) so s/he can add a few more thoughts.

Sage, you really do have an easier forum to moderate than some others. I always thought it was 'cuz we were told you were a retired L.A. Cop (so we don't mess around with the man) - Just KIDDING - don't kick me off for that remark, please. All kidding aside, I do think your former background does make you appreciate the people who attempt to be civil and help each other here. I often think of where different folks say they shop or where they like to camp etc. I'm surprised how many times I think of the comments so many make here.

I'm not really sure how many forums actually have threads where people like each other the way we seem to in ID. It only takes one to set an example for residents elsewhere.

Today, I received a note from someone who reads this thread who isn't in ID. Nice to know we have friends outside the state who check in on us as well to make sure we haven't melted down and are still hopefully being good to each other. Maybe someday other states can do something similar.

To the credit of all who post here, besides the note I received today, in the past week I've received 3 other notes from people saying how much they like this thread. That praise and encouragement to keep this thread active needs to be shared with everyone here. This isn't my thread..........it belongs to all those who are able to see the good, positive qualities our other forumers on here have.

Congrats everyone for creating a favorite thread for many in ID and a few who are out-of-state. Nice work.

MSR

Old 06-20-2009, 05:47 PM

Talking Congratulations to: Torrie, NCM and Cleosmom

It isn't often one can go a website and mention the quality of friends made via interraction on a forum page. I would like to Congratulation three of Idaho's finest, who post here, for being such great friends to me during a really stressful time.

Many, many thanks to Torrie, Cleosmom and norcalmom!

I'm sure others who post here are as supportive, compassionate and caring as the three of you. It would be nice if those who have benefitted from the support and kindness from others here would honor those people with a post.

It's not much, but I want to publically tell my 3 friends how much they mean to me and how their indivudla comments have all helped me at key times.

I feel very blessed to have the three of you in my life.

As one person says to me, may your blessings be 10 fold for the kindness and your gifts shared with me. That seems like an appropriate wish for my three friends, too.

Thank you!

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 06-20-2009 at 05:57 PM..

Old 06-21-2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
It isn't often one can go a website and mention the quality of friends made via interraction on a forum page. I would like to Congratulation three of Idaho's finest, who post here, for being such great friends to me during a really stressful time.

Many, many thanks to Torrie, Cleosmom and norcalmom!

I'm sure others who post here are as supportive, compassionate and caring as the three of you. It would be nice if those who have benefitted from the support and kindness from others here would honor those people with a post.

It's not much, but I want to publically tell my 3 friends how much they mean to me and how their indivudla comments have all helped me at key times.

I feel very blessed to have the three of you in my life.

As one person says to me, may your blessings be 10 fold for the kindness and your gifts shared with me. That seems like an appropriate wish for my three friends, too.

Thank you!

MSR
ABSOLULTELY!!! These are 3 of my favorite folks here!! I cant say enough good things about these members of CDF... They are all incredible staples of this forum!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho