Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 06:12 PM

14 posts, read 69,881 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I live in South Carolina and we want to move around Idaho Falls. He works at a nuclear plant here and is trying to get a job at the lab.
We are in our early 30's, no kids,we want to enjoy life while we have the energy
We really want a change, its so hot, and humid here. We want to be near the mountains. Cool summers.
My husband is from Pennsylvania, so he's used to snow,Im from s.c- how bad is the snow there? Whats it like living out west? (I have never been west of Ill.)
Any info on Arco or Moore would be great, we saw some houses there we liked.
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2006, 12:04 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,035 times
We used to live in Challis which is over the mountain from Arco. We would pass through Arco on our way to Idaho Falls. We used to go there to shop about twice a year. 189 miles one way to a K-Mart back then. LOL

There is not all that much snow. On the highway between Arco and IF you get blowing snow back and fourth across the road sometimes causing the road to be closed. There can be a lot of accidents on that road.It can be very icy for months at a time.

Arco is a neat town and there used to be a good restaurant there called Pickles. Might still be there?? There is also Craters of the moon to explore if you are into volcanic things. And the HUGE fault line. There are also a few little towns around Arco. Carey and Moore and a little further Richfield. All used to be rural towns. I have not been back in 12 years so a lot could have changed.

Good luck Chris

Old 05-30-2006, 07:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback,chris!!
Did you enjoy living in idaho? We close on our house here tomorrow, we're getting excited to come out there!
Seems there is lots of outdoor stuff to do. (Which we love)
Thanks again,hope to hear more idaho stories

Old 05-30-2006, 08:36 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
One does not have to live in Arco, except by choice. If your husband lands a job at The Site, there is a Site bus line that runs from all over SE Idaho. Saves money on gas and gives you time to read or snooze

Old 05-30-2006, 08:53 AM

149 posts, read 1,097,712 times
If your husband's looking for a job at the INL, I'd try to get a house in Idaho Falls, not Arco or Carey or Moore.

The INL has business buildings in Idaho Falls, as well as the main site by Arco. I think it'd be easier to adjust to life in Idaho Falls than Arco. Like shades said, there really isn't much of anything around Arco. IF is a small town too, but much, much bigger than Arco.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:32 PM

313 posts, read 833,854 times
Arco is very small and it took us about an hour to get out there. We looked at a house out there back in December. We decided it was too far out esp. during the colder months when there is snow and ice on the ground. The scenery is beautiful though! Good luck with your move!

Old 05-30-2006, 02:03 PM

Thanks yall!! I didnt realize there was transportation to the site. Thats great!! We didnt know how far arco was to town either. I would like to be about 15-20 min to town-I really dont want to be "in" the city (Houses are cheaper)
I hope we fit it in ok. How do people react to southeastern people with good values?
Right now in south carolina we have a lot of people moving here from fla. Its a sellers market right now. Hows the housing market near idaho falls? Sounds like a lot of calif people are moving in. I hope we find a house at a descent price.
Its going to be an adventure thats for sure!! Cant wait!!
fyi-
Temp now 95 degrees with 80 percent humidity-only gonna get worse!!

Old 05-30-2006, 02:26 PM

393 posts, read 1,880,712 times
LeavingCarolina, Let me know what u think I am in NC, and it is 92 today, I can't take this anymore. It isn't even June yet! LOL. I am looking into Idaho, CO, and OR for a change. Let me know what u think? I have driven around CO, but only travelled thru OR, and Idaho. Also, the fitting in thing? Honey I never fit in here........LOL. I am from the midwest! It is something u kind of get used too, and just about everywhere u go now there are transplants from somewhere.........I mean just look at these boards, people are moving someplace daily.....The east coasters are moving west, and the west people are moving east...Northerners are moving South, etc, etc.....LOL.

K

Old 05-30-2006, 03:54 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,035 times
I mean just look at these boards, people are moving someplace daily.....The east coasters are moving west, and the west people are moving east...Northerners are moving South, etc, etc.....LOL.

LOL at Sillygal oh so true. We have moved 10 times in 20 years all but one move in Idaho and I was recently shocked to hear my husband talking about it again. I think he has now decided to stay here. I hope so. I am a little tired of moving and this is a beautiful spot if it were just a smaller piece of land. Sigh Nothing is perfect I guess why people move.

LeavingCarolina, We are still in Idaho just not on the Eastern side any more. I also got tired of the 189 mile trip one way to K-Mart. We moved over to this side 12 years ago and even though we are 50 miles to good shopping in Oregon or 100 miles to shopping in Boise it is so much better than the 189 miles. Especially since the weather was a real consideration on that side. It is milder here.. We can get a storm and in a few days the roads will be clear again. Once you get a storm on that side in the Challis Arco area the ice can be on the road for the rest of the winter. You just get used to driving on it. SLOWLY and 4X 4 will not help you. I do not think it was quite that cold in IF. If I had to make a choice I would choose Pocatello. We really liked that town to shop in. Never lived there. You just need to come and look around and decide for yourself what it is you like about where and what the site provides for you. I knew about the busses but had forgotten about them. I remember seeing them lined up down the highway . Been a long time since we have been over there. We were retired so do not know about the site information.

I do know we love Idaho and it was a good move for us to come here 20 years ago.

Chris

Old 06-03-2006, 10:51 PM

41 posts, read 199,112 times
As for temperature, South Carolina - well, we're just now getting into the 70's here:-)
Most summer days are in 70's & 80's; forget about humidity - this is the desert. So even when it gets cool in winter - mostly in the 20's - it doesn't feel all that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho