Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 05:57 PM

13 posts, read 12,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
The question comes down to: How often do you see yourself driving the city streets during or immediately after a major snow event? If you need to drive no matter the weather, then a separate set of snow tires is probably necessary. If you are like most people that sit at home and watch the snow, then late in the day or the next you venture out to eat, shop or go to work, then good all season tires will work. The key is to go slow, keep your extra-long distance between vehicles, slow down even more for any turns, and you will likely be fine.

I lived in Great Falls, MT and had to drive to/from the In-Laws in NE Oregon every Christmas/New Years... no matter the weather. I drove a Subaru forester with stock tires. To play it safe (or make the wife feel safer) I bought a set of cable chains for about $70. I did actually use them once in NE Oregon, but took them off when I got down to Milton-Freewater and then drove the rest of the way back to Great Falls (through N. Idaho). The cable chains do help. They are a fairly cheap item that will help you get out when you really need to, i.e. when road conditions say you should stay home, but you must go out.
Thanks. I think I am going to bite the bullet and get some Blizzaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 12:15 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko9999 View Post
Thanks. I think I am going to bite the bullet and get some Blizzaks.
You won't regret buying them!
I just bought a new car that came with the latest fad; extra-large wheels with skinny hi-performance tires on them.

I own a 6-year old set of Blizzaks of the same wheel size (18") that are still like new, so I'm going to see if I can find a set of inexpensive wheels that will fit both the car and the tires.

I learned Blizzaks are not made to fit those fancy wheels. Up until now, I've always just used the wheels that came on the car and switched off the tires between summer and winter.

Old 10-14-2023, 12:19 PM

7,507 posts, read 3,231,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I just bought a new car that came with the latest fad; extra-large wheels with skinny hi-performance tires on them.

I own a 6-year old set of Blizzaks of the same wheel size (18") that are still like new, so I'm going to see if I can find a set of inexpensive wheels that will fit both the car and the tires.

I learned Blizzaks are not made to fit those fancy wheels. Up until now, I've always just used the wheels that came on the car and switched off the tires between summer and winter.

They usually recommend you retire tires at 6 years. Even if they look new they dry rot, etc.

Old 10-16-2023, 01:21 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

...I'm going to see if I can find a set of inexpensive wheels that will fit both the car and the tires...
I was able to score a set of almost-new wheels that were 'take offs' from a lower trim version of the same model. Someone wanted fancy wheels and traded the original ones in to the tire shop who sold them a new set. Found them through eBay. It was about a two-hour drive from me, but by picking them up myself, I was able to save the shipping charges. Might be worth a few minutes to look, you may get lucky.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-18-2023, 05:49 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I was able to score a set of almost-new wheels that were 'take offs' from a lower trim version of the same model. Someone wanted fancy wheels and traded the original ones in to the tire shop who sold them a new set. Found them through eBay. It was about a two-hour drive from me, but by picking them up myself, I was able to save the shipping charges. Might be worth a few minutes to look, you may get lucky.
Thanks- that's a good idea!

Old 10-19-2023, 02:47 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
My cars are in today getting their winter wheels put on. If you wait for the first snow, they will be so booked up that you won't be able to get your car in for weeks.

Old 10-22-2023, 12:36 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,741,654 times
When we lived off-grid way out in the woods up by Priest Lake we needed studs and dedicated winter tires. We live in town now and have no problem in winter with our all season tires in our 4 wheel drive vehicles.

Old 10-22-2023, 01:44 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
...We live in town now and have no problem in winter with our all season tires in our 4 wheel drive vehicles.
I'm debating what to do in my situation. Purchased a lightly-used, low-mileage Highlander Hybrid a couple months ago and it has some pretty good Michelin tires on it, but they aren't All-Season tires. Tread is pretty good, so I don't want to dump them. Forecast is for snow on this upcoming Wednesday. Hmmm? What to do?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-22-2023, 01:54 PM

560 posts, read 436,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I'm debating what to do in my situation. Purchased a lightly-used, low-mileage Highlander Hybrid a couple months ago and it has some pretty good Michelin tires on it, but they aren't All-Season tires. Tread is pretty good, so I don't want to dump them. Forecast is for snow on this upcoming Wednesday. Hmmm? What to do?
Buy a dedicated set of winter wheels from a lower trim Highlander or some steel wheels then get some proper winter tires on those wheels.

Old 10-22-2023, 07:46 PM

7,507 posts, read 3,231,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Buy a dedicated set of winter wheels from a lower trim Highlander or some steel wheels then get some proper winter tires on those wheels.
Yep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho