Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 06:04 PM

3 posts, read 6,842 times

Advertisements

Any advice will be welcome. My family is moving from Las Vegas to Coeur d'Alene ID the end of January. I will be driving with our three kids in a mini van while my husband drives a 20' uhaul truck. We've driven this route before (summer time) so taking the I15 north then the I90 west. However neither of us have ever driven this route in the winter. I know no one can really know the weather report in advance, but in our worst case scenario what can we expect? Any tips, advice, words of encouragement? To say I'm extremely nervous for this is an understatement. We are going to be getting new tires for the van before the move, all season tires I think. Need to buy chains for both van and uhaul? Also we will be stopping overnight so hopefully driving only during the day. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 10:10 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,332 times
Well it could get icy in various parts of I-15 around the Lebois area and ID/MT border, and again between Butte and the ID border. But I would expect the worst of your weather to be in Independence Pass and 4th of July Pass.

If you're coming across the passes in a storm, highway patrol could require chains. If you buy chains at Autozone, and DO NOT open them, you can return them once you get here for a full refund. We did that last month when the Snoqualmie Pass was being closed and I needed to trailer a vehicle over from Seattle.

And yes, I think driving in the daytime is a good idea coming through the colder/icier part of the trip. I've driven it in all sorts of weather, and it's always safer with maximum visibility.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:09 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,274,776 times
Umm the Independence Pass I know of is in Colorado, Lookout Pass is the one entering Idaho from Montana on the 90.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:15 AM

29,214 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Umm the Independence Pass I know of is in Colorado, Lookout Pass is the one entering Idaho from Montana on the 90.
I think Sage is thinking of the Monida pass on I-15. It's on the southern border of Montana, and north of Dubois, Idaho.
Monida is named after the 2 borders- MONtana and IDAho. It's not a steep or dramatic pass as many are, but it can be a real snake in the winters, as it's prone to sudden fierce winds any time there is a weather shift, and it has many deep cuts that are shady throughout the daylight hours. In the winter, they all tend to become nothing but black ice all winter long, and they most often have a turn there, someplace, and a hill.

The approach from Idaho is one long straight grade which is also shady. If the lights are flashing, take them seriously, as traction becomes a big problem all of a sudden going up or down.

During warm sunny periods in the winter, a driver who's unfamiliar with the pass often tends to drive it too fast and finds himself cutting cookies at high speed. There aren't a lot of deaths, because the cars that spin off have plenty of room to stop, but it is no fun at all being stuck up there, and the nearest wrecker is miles away on either side. Cell phones have dark spots up there all over the place, so the wait can be mighty long.

I drove it once in a U-Hal van, something I will never do again. Bald tires and the Monida Pass don't like each other. I didn't dare to go faster than 35 mph for over 100 miles. I never wanted a set of chains so much in all my life.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:17 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,332 times
OK...I'm tired...y'all know what I mean. Thanks for clarifying for me....in my ramblings...

Old 12-27-2014, 10:14 AM

820 posts, read 1,739,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisfam5 View Post
Any advice will be welcome. My family is moving from Las Vegas to Coeur d'Alene ID the end of January. I will be driving with our three kids in a mini van while my husband drives a 20' uhaul truck. We've driven this route before (summer time) so taking the I15 north then the I90 west. However neither of us have ever driven this route in the winter. I know no one can really know the weather report in advance, but in our worst case scenario what can we expect? Any tips, advice, words of encouragement? To say I'm extremely nervous for this is an understatement. We are going to be getting new tires for the van before the move, all season tires I think. Need to buy chains for both van and uhaul? Also we will be stopping overnight so hopefully driving only during the day. Thanks!
If I were you, I would take this route. We take this down to mexico when we go because we got a truck full of bikes and a trailer, and normally miss all the bad weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving in the winter to Coeur d'Alene from Las Vegas.... advice-map.png  

Old 12-27-2014, 11:11 AM

29,214 posts, read 22,354,404 times
I agree with Shaner. While I've never driven that route from C d'A, I've taken it from Boise to L.A. in the winter, and it's a more predictable drive. All the rest are more dependent on weather conditions at the moment.

Moving at this time of year can be chancy due to weather. I strongly suggest buying some chains, even if you never use them, and plan some extra time, because storms this time of the year often have strong winds. Snowdrifts and low visibility make travel difficult and slow, and drifting can be more trouble by far than icy roads. Keep some warm clothing handy in the vehicle.

Driving on broken snow/ice really isn't as scary as folks think; mostly all it involves is driving slower and avoiding large steering moves. Avoid standing on the brakes, too- pumping them is the best way to slow down and stay in control.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:45 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times
Good suggestion. 93 through NV in winter should be much more bearable than in the summer. 395 is a pretty straightforward road through E OR with a few hills, but after Pendleton it's all flat through the Tri-Cities all the way to Spokane.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:20 PM

318 posts, read 516,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
If I were you, I would take this route. We take this down to mexico when we go because we got a truck full of bikes and a trailer, and normally miss all the bad weather.
Fine post. As a former Greyhound Driver in the 1980's, am agreeing with your excellent choice of route suggestion. Much safer in winter.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:34 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,274,776 times
Here is Lookout Pass right now!
SCAN Web 5.6 - Camera
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho