Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:22 PM

52 posts, read 332,724 times

Advertisements

WE ARE THINKING ABOUT RE- LOCATING TO COEUR D ALENE BUT TRUELY WORRY ABOUT THE WINTERS!! WE HAVE SEEN THE AREA IN THE SUMMER ( PERFECT) BUT CAN ANY OF YOU LOCALS REALLY FILL ME IN AS TO WHAT TO EXPECT FOR THE WINTERS?? WILL I HAVE A SHOCK COMING FROM THE DESERT CLIMATE?? HOW LONG DO THE WINTERS REALLY LAST? I WAS TOLD SOMETIMES IT CAN LAST UP TO 6 MONTHS!! OUCH! DOES THE SUN EVEN COME OUT IN THE WINTER MONTHS?? VERY IMPORTANT!!!
tHANKS~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 04:36 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Amy,

If you do some searching here, you'll find more answers.

The quick answer is yes, winters can be harsh. and you may not see the sun for 8-10 days at a time, or longer. Winter "really" starts in December, and goes until mid-late March. So usually 4 months. But can it go Nov-April? Sure. Summers are short but gorgeous as you know.

If you live right in town, snow isn't a big deal (except for this year where everyone is buried everywhere). But normally if you shovel your front walk and snowblow your driveway, you're fine. If you live outside of town, better have a 4-wheeler with a plow, or a tractor with back blade, or you'll start hating Idaho your first winter here.

DO NOT MOVE HERE until you've stayed here for a week during winter, or you just won't be making an informed decision and you will probably regret the move.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:46 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Yes, from a desert climate it will be a shock for obvious reasons. We get our first snow anywhere from late Oct. to mid-Dec. That doesn't mean the snow sticks, it may or may not. It may snow and then rain and melt or like this year, snow and stay! Spring is usually anywhere from early March to mid-April. Then we get rain. we have rain from March or April until early July. Summer is early July until early to mid-Sept. Fall and cooler temps and some rain from late Sept until first snow. We get sun now and then in the winter but not alot, and that includes spring. As far as snow there could be anywhere from no snow on the ground (but cold) to several feet, you never know, but there will be snow in winter.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:27 AM

97 posts, read 503,861 times
Default North Idaho Is NOT California

Despite continued and steady exponential growth from California, Northern Idaho's climate has not warmed up any. It's climate is very cold in comparison. December through February is pretty cold and snowy. Too cold for many. It depends on what you like. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:53 AM

537 posts, read 1,322,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amykis5 View Post
DOES THE SUN EVEN COME OUT IN THE WINTER MONTHS?? VERY IMPORTANT!!!
tHANKS~
It really is'nt that gloomy here in the winter. It was so sunny on Sunday that I needed some shades lol. I have lived on the Washington coast and it was always much gloomier there.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:43 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amykis5 View Post
WE ARE THINKING ABOUT RE- LOCATING TO COEUR D ALENE BUT TRUELY WORRY ABOUT THE WINTERS!! WE HAVE SEEN THE AREA IN THE SUMMER ( PERFECT) BUT CAN ANY OF YOU LOCALS REALLY FILL ME IN AS TO WHAT TO EXPECT FOR THE WINTERS?? WILL I HAVE A SHOCK COMING FROM THE DESERT CLIMATE?? HOW LONG DO THE WINTERS REALLY LAST? I WAS TOLD SOMETIMES IT CAN LAST UP TO 6 MONTHS!! OUCH! DOES THE SUN EVEN COME OUT IN THE WINTER MONTHS?? VERY IMPORTANT!!!
tHANKS~
Being from northern Minnesota originally, the winters pretty much anywhere in the NW are mild in comparison. In MN, our winters pretty much ran from mid November to May. I saw snow in June, and we actually had a full on blizzard on May 6th of 1982. Couple that with the fact that the city was on a steep hill, and the roads were iced over a few times a year.

If you live in a larger city (I'm talking Idaho now), the snow isn't going to hold you back much since they take care of the roads well. Also having lived in the desert for ten years, I think the winters are worth the spring and summer. With Idaho, you get four seasons, as in the winter doesn't last most of the year. Humidity is also low.

If you're truly scared of being burried in the snow, but still want the mountains and forests, check out western Oregon. Pretty much everything from I-5 on westward gets very little snow, the rain isn't as bad as it's made out to be, and the summers are nearly bone dry. It rains more in Phoenix in the summer than it does where I live here in Oregon.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:37 PM

13 posts, read 141,108 times
Default Cd'A Winters

The winters here are heaven compared to the gloomy winters in Seattle area. We see the sun alot here in the winter. The weather can change on a dime. The saying is "wait 5 minutes and the weather will change". A little fog, some snow, then sun, then... But it is not gloomy and gray as the norm.

This year is the worst winter in what reports are saying over 20 years. We have at least 2 ft of snow in many areas and it's snowing again now. I have lived here 6 years and never experienced this harsh of a winter so it is not the norm.

It is a 4 season climate, so you pay the price in the winter and then get beautiful springs, summers and falls. You appreciate the nice weather so much more after putting up with winter.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:58 PM

226 posts, read 576,335 times
Believe me, I'm in love with central Idaho, and considered moving there, but there is three feet of snow on the ground there this time of year. Most everything is boarded up. Nearby, at Grand Teton National Park, the park actually closes in early November. I have a relative living in Spokane, and they are buried in snow right now. You have to remember, you are getting up near Glacier National Park and the Canadian Rockies region up there, and it is very cold and snowy. I agree, Coer De Alene is gorgeous; I've driven through that area in the late summer. However, yes, winter is a different story. Winter is a "different story" in places like Denver and Oklahoma City, places much farther south. So, you can only imagine up there.

If you don't like winter, then I would suggest not moving up there (at least full-time). It is like not liking red dust, and yet, deciding to move to Mars -- or something.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:50 PM

7 posts, read 129,200 times
I was born and raised in the CDA area and have lived here all my life...........41 years and the winters suck here! We live in the Rathdrum area and this year we got over 6 feet of snow. Our mini doberman is still walking on the roof of our house as the snow is piled high enough so he can get up on the roof!
We use to get a lot of winters like this (not quite as much snow, but a lot). The last 10 years or so has not had this much snow..........but we got dumped on this year.
Yes it is gloomy and cloudy from about the middle of October until the end of May. The average days of sunshine in CDA are 174 days. We get most of our sun from about June through the middle of October. We dont have a lot of warm days here. Summer temps start about July through September. Our first frost starts around the first week in September sometimes later. Our last frost is around June first. Rainy season is from the middle of October, November, March, April, May and thru June. Snow usually starts around Thanksgiving through the end of February. My husband and I are actually looking at going somewhere where there is more sun for at least the winter months. The longest stretch of gloom is from the day after Christmas thru the end of April.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:15 PM

210 posts, read 946,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSandsYucca View Post
Believe me, I'm in love with central Idaho, and considered moving there, but there is three feet of snow on the ground there this time of year. Most everything is boarded up. Nearby, at Grand Teton National Park, the park actually closes in early November. ....

If you don't like winter, then I would suggest not moving up there (at least full-time). It is like not liking red dust, and yet, deciding to move to Mars -- or something.

Not to take anything away from this message, I just wanted to clarify, Grand Teton National Park is a loooong ways from Coeur D'Alene. Almost 600 miles by road and a much different climate and elevation. One is on on side of the state near Washington, and the other is in Wyoming just off the East side of the state.

Still the poster is right on, winter has potential to be harsh. It hasn't very much lately (until this year), but it can. One things that is great about Idaho is it's four season weather. I wouldn't move here if you hate one of the seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho