Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 09:30 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,163 times

Advertisements

I was in Couer D Alene last week and walked around a bit. I live in CO at 8600'-I find N Idaho to FEEL much colder than the high country of CO due to greater moisture and less sunshine, although our average temps are much lower here in Silverthorne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 11:24 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Everything's relative. I'm from Buffalo...CDA doesn't get this: buffalo blizzard of '77 pics - Bing Images

Winters in CDA can be long, but it isn't real cold, not a great deal of snow, and lots (by eastern standards) of sunny days.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:13 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,035 times
Toyman that was one big snow storm.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,553 times
I am thinking about moving to CDA and would like some info about the place. I am from Texas currently living in Boise, a RN and worked in the criminal field for years. Texas is really bad with gangs and crime and getting worse. I am single and would like to live in a place that I hear is very peaceful and low crime. Sick of gangs and from what I have heard, if I were a gang member I would not want to live there. lol. I believe that CDA is the last holdout for people like me. I am interested in things to do for over 55 folks. I am going to work as a nurse, but would like to meet new people and make new friends. Need some input. Susan

Old 08-05-2017, 02:22 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Susan, I am recently retired and relocated/relocating to Rathdrum, a smaller town about five-six miles from CdA across the prairie. I live in a 55+ community and so far, just love it. There is a never-ending list of things to do. Just today, I see in the paper that there are several hundred openings for volunteers for the upcoming Ironman triathlon competition. Opportunities starting the Tuesday before the competition and running all the way though the end of competition on the following Sunday afternoon.

Parts of CdA are, how shall we phrase it, "exciting". It is much quieter in Hayden, and even more so in Rathdrum. I know very little about Post Falls, except that it is mostly a bedroom community for Spokane and other cities in the area.

It will help if you are an outdoorsman, (er, outdoorswoman, if there is such a word). There are lakes and rivers for sailing, power-sports, kayaking, sculling, fishing, swimming, and more. Forested hills for exploring and hiking. It is a cyclists paradise with multiple off-road cycling paths/routes; both paved and gravel. The on-street cycling experience is an eye-opener for me. Cars really do look out for, and "respect" cyclists.

In the winter, there is downhill skiing at Schweitzer's and Lookout Pass as well as multiple venues for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. I'll be getting a fat bike this winter so that I can ride when there is ice and snow on the ground.

Lots to do, both for youngsters as well as us over-55 crowd. If you get serious, I highly recommend getting an electronic subscription to the Couer d'Alene Press. You won't get the retail sales inserts, but you'll get everything else. There's always something going on, especially during the summer tourist season, (e.g., concerts in the park, car shows, etc.)

Good luck in your quest.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-08-2017, 07:51 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanlj123 View Post
I am thinking about moving to CDA and would like some info about the place. I am from Texas currently living in Boise, a RN and worked in the criminal field for years. Texas is really bad with gangs and crime and getting worse. I am single and would like to live in a place that I hear is very peaceful and low crime. Sick of gangs and from what I have heard, if I were a gang member I would not want to live there. lol. I believe that CDA is the last holdout for people like me. I am interested in things to do for over 55 folks. I am going to work as a nurse, but would like to meet new people and make new friends. Need some input. Susan
Hi Susan,
Looking into Kootenai Health, part of the Mayo Clinic Network

Crime: There are two ways to think about it. There is July and August crime and there is Sept-June crime.

June-Aug, North Idaho swells 4-5 times its regular size. Hot summers. Alcohol. Drugs. Tight schedules. Crime soars and egos too. Not just tourists. Local tuffs get stupid.

Sept-May. More typical crime for a lower income place. Fri and Sat night alcohol and drug related. But...there is more respect.

That should explain why CDA crime numbers are high for Idaho. As far as "fear" of crime. It is near zero save for times when crime is always bad.

S.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,180 times
Here is my experience...I moved here from Seattle 5 years ago to be closer to my family. That is the only reason I now live here. I had visited here many times in the winter to celebrate the holidays and swore I would NEVER live here due to the winters!! Never say never! I suffer from pretty serious depression and anxiety especially in the winter. I also have rheumatoid arthritis so the weather isn't ideal due to that. I did some research before moving here and found that Seattle gets 52 days of sunshine compared to 144 days of sunshine in CdA. So people ask me "So you like all the rain in Seattle better than the snow we get here." Well, in Seattle I don't have to wear long underwear, snow pants, wool socks, boots, a coat, gloves, hand warmers, a hat and a scarf! Just getting dressed can be exhausting! Oh, then there is the fun job of needing to scrape ice and snow off your entire car while braving the freezing cold! A carport or garage is truly a necessity! Did I mention the high risk of falling? I have slipped and fell every year I have been here! Last year I was fairly certain I had broke my hip.
Leaving desert country and coming here would be a complete shock to your system! We have many, many Snowbirds that live here 3 seasons out of the year and then head for warmer climate during the winter...I wish I could be one of those fortunate people. The rest of the year here can be quite beautiful and is a great place to visit any time other than winter unless you LOVE cold temperatures and snow. I hope this helps in some way! Wishing you the very best of luck! Zoe

Old 09-20-2017, 11:35 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amykis5 View Post
WE ARE THINKING ABOUT RE- LOCATING TO COEUR D ALENE BUT TRUELY WORRY ABOUT THE WINTERS!! WE HAVE SEEN THE AREA IN THE SUMMER ( PERFECT) BUT CAN ANY OF YOU LOCALS REALLY FILL ME IN AS TO WHAT TO EXPECT FOR THE WINTERS?? WILL I HAVE A SHOCK COMING FROM THE DESERT CLIMATE?? HOW LONG DO THE WINTERS REALLY LAST? I WAS TOLD SOMETIMES IT CAN LAST UP TO 6 MONTHS!! OUCH! DOES THE SUN EVEN COME OUT IN THE WINTER MONTHS?? VERY IMPORTANT!!!
tHANKS~
My very strong suggestion.

You and spouse buy eight round trip tickets to spend four long week-ends here, every two weeks, from mid November to end of February.

It will cost you $5-7K or so. You will know what the area is like in the winter. the money is worth it as relocations are a major disruption in life and you do not want to pick up sticks and move unless fairly certain.

If you enjoy the area in the Winter, you will love it the rest of the year.

Good luck!

S.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:45 PM

247 posts, read 196,613 times
Yes, it sucks and is miserable.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:04 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Winters are cold. Whether or not they are miserable depends upon how you feel about snow, whether or not you do snow sports, and how well prepared you are.

If you are the type who locks the doors and won't come out of the house until spring, most likely you will be miserable and should consider moving to a climate where it doesn't snow and your plumbing doesn't freeze and burst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho