Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 07:33 PM

279 posts, read 485,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I started putting up Christmas lights earlier and leaving them on longer to combat the gloom.

They go up November 3rd this year. We have just taken to calling them winter lights rather than Christmas lights.
I do this too. I also tend to keep the ones outside on the porch up all year long. Out here in the very rural part, there's not much for lights at all once the sun goes down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,274 times
Default Rathdrum area

Hi everyone in Idaho.....We currently live at 4500 ft. elev. near Yosemite, and get snow from Oct.-May. We are used to using a snowblower, and we just don't go anywhere if the snow is bad. We currently have to travel 30 mins. to a Walmart. We are considering retiring in the Rathdrum area. The elevation is 2000 ft. lower, still rural area, but close enough to city, CDA, where a variety of stores exist. We live on 2 acres now, but it is getting harder to keep up as we get older. It would be an adjustment living close to neighbors, but one that would probably outweight the negatives. We have been to CDA, in the summer, but not the winter. Everything I read about the winters doesn't sound much different than what we have. Please comment if you have any other suggestions? TIA

Old 09-01-2018, 09:14 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinmom2 View Post
Hi everyone in Idaho.....We currently live at 4500 ft. elev. near Yosemite, and get snow from Oct.-May. We are used to using a snowblower, and we just don't go anywhere if the snow is bad. We currently have to travel 30 mins. to a Walmart. We are considering retiring in the Rathdrum area. The elevation is 2000 ft. lower, still rural area, but close enough to city, CDA, where a variety of stores exist. We live on 2 acres now, but it is getting harder to keep up as we get older. It would be an adjustment living close to neighbors, but one that would probably outweight the negatives. We have been to CDA, in the summer, but not the winter. Everything I read about the winters doesn't sound much different than what we have. Please comment if you have any other suggestions? TIA
First, don't for a moment think that Rathdrum is "rural". It is not! Maybe on the northeast fringes, but most of the town is just that, a smaller town. And with aspirations of being a much larger town. It is growing very rapidly and the only thing that will slow it down is for the economy to 'belly up'. We get no help from the pro-growth city council.

Rathdrum is also at a crossroads of a type between tourists and their destinations. Two numbered state highways intersect and pass through town, and they carry heavy traffic

I made it through my first winter without any problems. You'll learn pretty quick how to drive on snow, (not usually a problem), and ice, (you have to be much more careful on ice). I have a short, slopped driveway and only used my new snowblower once last winter. It was my inaugural use of the thing. I did not use it again all winter and found a snow shovel to be just as efficient and quick.

My driveway is heated, but I learned pretty quickly to not use it. Sure, it melted the snow/ice on the driveway, but the water drained to the unheated sidewalk where it froze into an ice dam. I just need to get out before the snow plows come by and compact the snow into ice.

All said, I like being in Rathdrum. It is apart from other cities in the area, but close enough to get back into the circus when I want a little bit of excitement or to do some shopping, (there is precious little in Rathdrum). If you want more rural, true rural, take a look at Athol.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 09-02-2018 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: added a word for clarity/context

Old 09-02-2018, 12:06 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,983 times
I never thought it was that bad, especially being in town. Buy good tires, some ice melt and a shovel, easy day.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:35 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
...........We are considering retiring in the Rathdrum area. ..........
Rathdrum barely qualifies as a town. More like a village. But it has a large service area, and there is a good grocery store, two excellent hardware stores ( seriously, better hardware stores than you will find almost anywhere else), an excellent veterinarian, several good restaurants and a couple of fast food restaurants, a dentist, two good tire stores, a bank....... in short, everything you need for day to day life. Walmart is 9-10 miles to the one in Hayden and probably about the same to the Walmart in Post Falls.

Rathdrum is noticeably colder with more snow than Coeur d'alene. The main roads are well plowed, but I don't know what sort of plowing you get if you buy one of the places up on the hillsides. Some of those roads don't look winter friendly.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:43 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinmom2 View Post
The biggest thing you're going to notice is that you won't be able to drive down out of the snowy foothills into a warmer climate like the Central Valley. Driving from Rathdrum to Spokane or Coeur d'Alene won't change your climate conditions. It's not like California where you get little micro-climates in different places.

The second biggest thing you'll notice is that your Central California location provides much more daylight in the winter months (even with storms) than they get in the Idaho Panhandle.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,618 times
you need to live here at less ten years to get an idea how the winters are. I've been here 27 years and every winter is different. There are winters where you hardly shovel snow though these are not the norm. There have some with over 180 inches of snow in cda and much more North of there. These winters can make you cry! There was a winter in 1994 in spirit lake where the low temps were 25 below for seven days. there were also four winters 2012-2015 where it was really mild. If you crave sunshine then stay away from here in winter. We average 9 full days of sun from Dec through Feb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho